Ashbourne Scale Day

only a week to go to plan A, subject to weather plague or earthquake

will be speaking to the caterer tomorrow so anything we may need to know ie if you are one o them strange vegimitarians,vegans or fruitairiansdevil let us know and we will bring some hay!!!

the strip is in tip top form and will be swept/mown for the event

all our neighbours have been informed its on and invited to the day as VIP,s

the final decision on go no go will still be as late as poss friday evening ok

cheers

chris

Advert

Hi folks, as promised we've scoured the available weather sites trying to find one we like but to no avail, so the decision has been made to postpone until the Sunday after, which is the 21st. Thanks for your understanding!!

No doubt it's going to be lovely on Sunday now and nice all week, turning nasty again for a couple of days on the 20th!!

Ian.

Wise decision, gents, it's been blowing like nobody's business in Belper with wet stuff on and off.

Annoyingly, last Sunday was chilly with some wind but not too bad. I flew my Gypsy Moth and even managed successfully to test fly a 1kg GWS Formosa I've been gifted before the wind increased a bit but that's Ashbourne, I guess.

See you on the 21st. What time do you want me there to do a stint on the gate?

Geoff

Hi All

a little later than i would have liked but here,s the news.

we have taken the decision to hold the event off until next sunday, given the unpredictability of the weather this weekend, not just here but also where you will need to travel from and through we thought it wiser to wait given that the BBC tell us the weather is set to be "more settled" over the comming week or two

apologies if it is not what you wanted to hear but we know how misserable it can be up on our feild if the weather turns and it does up there quite readily,

the event will happen next week it just means you all have time to prep those scale masterpieces Yay!!

chris

the decision not to go ahead was not taken lightly paul and was not based soley on the weather at ashbourne, even your chart shows the poss of rain upto 1pm, now given DRCF,s field is on the highest point above ashbourne any moisture around can and does affect the site in mist and fogm not saying it will but it can and has, but as i say its not based on our local weather alone, many people are traveling a long way to get there, from wales to kent (dover) and this means we give due regard to those that need to travel on the poss that weather en route or at destination may not be good,

we looked at XC, Metcheck, BBC and the met offices own site and decided that its best to wait so more people will have the oppurtunity to travel and arrive in decent weather, not only this but we self fund the catering, out of our own pockets cheffy and me, and if 50 % of the attendee,s decide its not worth the risk of traveling for an hour or several then we are out of pocket, not a huge issue but another question into the decision making pot.

we dont all live close enough to go home if we dont like the conditions, i live 30 miles away and currently cannot stand up outside my own front door due to the constant gale force winds, i have also taken into account onsite info from clommittee member who lives 10 mins to site and it aint pretty up there,

chris

Edited By ceejay on 13/10/2018 15:30:22

Well, in Belper (about 10 miles east as the foamie flies) it's rained most of the day. I've been in my workshop most of the day so it may have eased a bit but the day would have been a washout so it was a good decision to postpone. Hope for better conditions next Sunday.

Geoff

Forecast isn't bad for Sunday, gate code is 109 for visitors and due to the two lock set up, club members can use the normal lock. Please ensure to lock up as you find it. That said, the gate will be manned till about 10.30. Absolutely any scaleish model welcome. A Pup, Flea, HP42 and a foamy Spitfire for me. What's everyone else bringing?

Ian.

Many thanks to everyone at Ashbourne for the usual very warm welcome.

A great site and more excellent scale models than you can shake a stick at.
It was a treat to meet that nice Mr Sleath.

The highlight for me was the amazing things Chef can do with some oatcakes. Made my day that, John laugh

img_20181021_105840.jpg

img_20181021_114737.jpg

img_20181021_122822__01.jpg

img_20181021_105854.jpg

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/10/2018 17:38:05

I am so sorry I couldn't be there today chaps - it was due to circumstances completely outside my control.

The pictures are great - but they don't make feel any better about missing a day I had looked forward too sad. Still you all seemed to have had a great time, some lovely models and the weather looks quite kind too.

Best wishes to you all.

BEB

Glad you all enjoyed your day at our flying site. Ian (Redshaw) and Chris (Poyser) are to be congratulated on their wise decision to postpone the event for a week. We'd enjoyed some great weather all last week (today was the 4th time in 5 days I'd been up at the field) and it seemed impossible the weather would hold for today as well, albeit with a little more wind than earlier, but it did.

Good meeting Chris and sorry BEB was unable to attend but Danny Fenton was spotted and that young Mr Whittaker was seen wielding a huge lens so the 'official' forumites were in attendance.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 21/10/2018 21:19:26

many thanks to all who took the time and effort to attend yesterday,

many thanks to all the regulars that enable us to put on this event, no1 of course is our residen cheff d.oatcake john who kept all fed and watered all day,

to Ian and richie for the awning for cheffy and generator for tea urn, and to any and all that assisted with flightline,

due to a recent and ongoing illness i was next to useless with anything physical work wise so without them it would not have been the day it was,

see you all again

chris