Deagostini Spitfire build and 'leccy conversion.

Well, I think it's about time I got this party started! I can't be leaving a free plane on the shelf!

empty bench.jpg

Having decided that "to make things easy", I'll go the route of a Turnigy G46 motor to replace the recommended .40 or .46 IC motor. Obviously, it's easier to modify as I build, so the first consideration is a hatch to get at the battery as I really am lazy and don't want to have to remove the wing each time. I want to have 2 batteries; one to fly while one is on the charge, so not going to go the route of "charge in place". Thing is, the space between formers isn't sufficient to ease a battery in. I think that the only option is to cut the top off one former (the one on the right between the jig brackets) to make a "U" former and strengthen the hatch opening with 3mm ply.

hatch mid former cut.jpg

To that end, I've cut the ply reinforcement first and made two "brackets" to form the front and rear of the hatch out of two layers of 1.6mm balsa laminated together at 90°. They won't be loadbearing, so I think they should be strong enough.

hatch formers 2.jpg

hatch surround.jpgI haven't cut any formers yet, just in case anyone advises against the plan! I'll bow to superior knowledge and craftsmanship.

I've filled in the predrilled holes in the firewall as I intend to use a Great Planes adjustable motor mount to hold the G46 and the fitment is different...

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting back to this after several mental weeks. If nothing else, I can't fault the instructions! Perfectly clear and well illustrated; youry have to be an idiot not to be able to follow them.

img_20181003_210312.jpg

What I've realised tonight is that where I'd intended to place the hatch, in front of the cockpit, actually is partially under the cockpit... embarrassed I'll have to rectify that.

None-the-less, I've pushed on and glued a few more bits together.

Front glued.jpg

img_20181002_215245__01.jpg

img_20181003_204837.jpg

I think, to try and keep the weight down, I'll have to cut a hole in the firewall to move the battery as far forward as possible. Hand cutting that square will be a test of my abilities.

Edited By David Wilson 25 on 03/10/2018 22:41:10

If there's anything I've learned, it's never work off the originals if they're likely to get damaged... So, photocopies done without scaling, and I can get on with something else while glue is seeing elsewhere.

In the interest of saving weight and mindful of an electric motor weighing less up front, saving weight behind the CoG is prudent. The question is, where? From the templates, there seem to be chunks of balsa used where a hole could save a little bit, without sacrificing strength...

img_20181004_180730.jpg

img_20181004_180735.jpg

Coming from somewhere renowned for not being too flush with cash, I think I can be sparing with glue... (So I don't have to buy more!)

Being absolutely ruthless in seeking weight trimming, I weighed the wheels... 88g (3.1oz). Unfortunately, that send to be the weight of similar 3.25" Robart wheels. Only possible alternative is foam wheels which could just look, well, naff?

At the moment, washout is the least of my concerns... You know the adage, "measure twice, cut once" and everything similar, like reading instructions? Here's what I've managed to do...

Reality.jpg

Here's what the instructions say...

Instructions 2.jpg

See the difference?

I've used the LHS as the RHS and vice versa. Which means that the thrust angle is in the wrong direction. I remember looking at it after gluing and thinking about the reasons for thrust angle, getting confused as to why it was left angled.

Question is... What do I do? Immediate thought was to fit a CCW prop, but that means mounting the motor offset to the left, and then the cowl is shaped wrong.

The other consideration is: can I gently cut the joints and reglue? That'll be great fun! Especially since I've all this done...

Fuselage 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more done over the last week and a bit, but didn't have an opportunity to update the thread.

I pushed on with finishing off the rear of the fuselage and put off rectifying the firewall error for a bit.

img_20181012_201645.jpg

I also pushed in the fin for a quick "dry fit" to keep the interest fueled!

img_20181012_201732.jpg

In the interim, I built up the forward hatch. I'm a bit fussy on maintaining a snug fit of the parts I'm making so there's no opportunity for flex. Generally good; not so much for a hatch that's supposed to be removable!

img_20181014_154352.jpg

I had to cut out the joints with a razor saw, sand the glue off and reposition about 2mm back to give clearance for removal. I put balsa stringers below the ply surround to add strength I've probably removed by creating a hatch. I hope it's sufficient!

I also started to cut the ply to create a motor mounting box. I'm assuming that as the original firewall is just glued in with regular glue and a little of square balsa reinforcement at the edges, similar would be suitable to join the box onto the original? Had a quick read up on creating a mount box; some recommend epoxy and glasscloth reinforcement?

I admit to being unsure; with a typical weight for these of around 7lbs, the box will need to hold a motor producing 700-850W, minimum.

img_20181017_210114.jpg

Yes David, at least epoxy. If the box is well designed, then epoxy and the strength of the timber will surfice

Sometimes, when we make an area "impregnable" then during a mishap, the energy shudders down the model causing more damage.

Building and glueing well is good enough

The model is looking very smart BTW

Edited By Denis Watkins on 18/10/2018 20:10:49

It's coming on well David,

Here are some pics of my build, How I did my hatch and my motor mount ,hopefully they will help you. I did not build a battery box, I just put a tray in the fuz. Might be a bit late, as you appear to have made a fine job of the hatch already. thumbs up

spitfire build 017.jpg

spitfire build 018.jpg

spitfire build 104.jpg

electric spitfire 006.jpg

belt and braces 002.jpg

belt and braces 001.jpg

I laminated balsa till I got the right length, it could be advanced in 1/32 increments if need be.

motor mount 003.jpg

Posted by David Wilson 25 on 18/10/2018 21:35:35:
The parts I've cut for the box are actually 3mm liteply... I'm guessing "not strong enough".

Not sure what to use instead as I only have 4mm regular household ply offcuts. Too heavy and coarse is my assessment of that.

Liteply has its place, but not good for engine mounts

Liteply is strong in both directions, where balsa has a single grain direction

Your 4mm ply would be ideal for engine mounts and front bulkheads

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/10/2018 07:55:53

When I checked the ply, it's actually 5mm... 20% extra weight free.

Liteply vs hh ply.jpg

Wasn't having a lot of luck in deciding how to proceed as a "butt" joint wouldn't be particularly strong and to allow space for a battery to fit in leaves only 10mm of the original firewall on either side.

I gave up thinking about it and sanded the few bits that needed done.

Sanded spine.jpg

Hey There David. Your spitfire is looking great. Neevr worry about over engineering. that 5mm ply is perfect for the firewall. If you are going electric then stand off spacers are easy enough to make up any difference when it comes to mounting the motor. also don't worry too much about weight up her at the front end of the model. It's a spitfire and it will require additional weight up front. best of luck and keep up the good work.

Everyone has there own ideas of how to go about things, at the end of the day if its functional, and you are happy with it, it's OK... laugh

Shane is right, i mounted my Rx battery right on top of my motor mount, and my ESC underneath to get the C of G.

I did buy my motor and batteries up front and built to accommodate them, again as already mentioned, bolts and tubes to make standoffs are the way to go if you buy your motor last. However, I would defo get the batteries I would be using first.

My tray is just a plank of lite ply, glued to the internal structure, with a strip of velcro on it. This allows for cables and wires and Fingers to fit in.

D.D.