Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Advert

After cleaning up the hatches and openings,wing seat formed , rudder seat fitted , basically the fuselage is ready to be prepped for primer.But...

I'm taking part in the PSSA 2020 mass build F86 Sabre so, from now on i'm going to split my hobby-time in two as the mass build weekend is in June. No time to waste !!

• 5 months later...

Just a little update on when this blog is going to go on.20200421_223322.jpg

The PSSA sabre mass build ,that came in between the magister build,is now in primer mode .

I guess it will take another month to finish her .After that it's full throttle to get the magister in the air !

The sabre has gun ports,a full cockpit,working speed brakes,remouvable canope and last but not least a working ejector seat and parashute ! Stay tuned !! and thanks for visiting !

• 2 months later...

hi again all !!

The PSS sabre is ready , minus the panel lines and fitting the battery.

As promised , the magister is already back on the building table !

First thing on the list is finishing the plug for the rudder-elevators. the plugs were primered last april (!)and just needed the panellines to be ingraved.For this job i used my special tool i made for the wing panel lines .I have only one plug for both sides (L and R )as the profile is symetrical. So one plug ,one mould,for the two tail parts.

Next job is to paint them after a good sand and prep them for moulding.

20200720_000816.jpg

20200720_000913.jpg

The opening for the servos is not yet integrated in the plug ,for the simple reason that i need it only on the bottomside ,but the bottomside left is the top side right,so the room for the hatch will be layed-up in the mould. It's new to me too but it will be clear when i get there .

That's all for the restart , Stay safe out there !

Greatings , Dirk

Painted the tail parts after cleaning up the panel lines as the dremel tool leaves a rough surface and it all showes in the finished parts ! Next move is to prepare the parting board. The two parts have to be burried in the brown plate ,just up to their centerline. Then the moulding can start all over againsmile.

20200726_220537.jpg

first task was to glue the parting board on a piece of foam to get some space under it (minimum half the thickness of the rudder )

Then cutted the openings for the parts, plus one mm.

Made some supports for the parts from scrap foam , to glue under the parts so that they ''float'' in the openings with the upper side of the parting board in line with the centerline of the parts.

To make the mould stiffer i placed pieces of parting board arround the parts.

Next thing to do is fill all the gaps with plasticine to avoid the resin leaking through and to become sharp edges.

20200728_235012.jpg

20200728_235029.jpg

Hi Phil !

Sorry for the late reply but i just got back from the slope i n Calaiswink

About your question :Yes it is plywood for outdoor use and it is laminated on both sides with a waterproof layer.

In the thicker version ,like 18mm is used for concrete castings.It's relativ cheap too ,like 20€ for a 4mm thick plate 1.22M by 2.44M.

A great benefit is that epoxy does NOT stick to it , exept when you sand it rough.

Are you planning to mould something ?

your welcome Reuben !

To get the two moulds lined up (after moulding)to eachother you need a system . Normally i take care of this when the two moulds are made ,but i'm going to try a methode a lot of modellers use : with marbels. In my case metal balls from a car drive shaft.

I drilled holes on the corners of the parting board so that the metal balls fit in just upto their center. This is going to leave half a sphere in the top mould. These spheres are going to be filled when making the bottom mould leaving half balls on it, who will fit perfect in the spheres from the top mould. additional bolts will keep the moulds together .

Next thing to do is fill the gaps between plug and parting board with plasticine.After that it's polishing , waxing and we're ready to laminate !

x20200731_001050.jpg

20200731_001101.jpg

Thanks for visiting and stay tuned ! Everything will be clear in the next steps !wink

• 2 weeks later...

We now have themperatures round 32 deg. so its impossible to work with epoxy the last couple of day's.

This work is from just before the heatwave :

The rudder together with the partingboard were waxed 6 times and treated with pva.

After drying half an hour ,i painted the combo with the black moulding resin instead of gel coat.(don't like gel coat).

20200804_205536.jpg

,The glass together with clear resin has to be applyed before this dry's out ,to get good bonding.

I used 1 layer of 50grms , 1 layer of 100 grms and 6 layers of 200 grms. Sharp corners like leading edge and sides were first filled with a mix of resin and cotton flakes ,to make it thicker like nutella choco pasteteeth 2.This makes the laminating of glass cloth easyer

20200805_215048.jpg

The edges were already cleaned up in the last photo.

This all dryed very quick in 25+ themperatures so i could remove ''the box'' from the first mould, the next day.

20200805_220253.jpg

After removing the plasticine rests , the foam supporting blocks and the protec tive blue tape , i cleaned up the new mould .

The combo is upside -down now and the black part is the new mould

x20200806_233056.jpg

With everything clean , you can see the half spheres ,formed with the metal balls.

Time to wax and start over for the opposite mould !!