Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Thanks for replying gents !

It is indeed a work that is not done in six months,but in the end (i need three planes now)it will be faster then starting three or even more models from scratch.

As for the foto's,i use my mobile whenever i think there is something to show that helps the viewers to follow the build.And yes ,sometimes there are traces of epoxy on my screendont know,nothing that a tissue with acetone can't handlewink 2

After bolting everything together and cleaning-up the edges its time to take the moulds apart.Carefully twisting the structure helps to get a wooden wedge (I use mixing sticks) between the parts.If you follow the insructions of the epoxy supplyer ,and use a good mould release agent there schould be no problem taking them apart.20190816_174640.jpg

Hi Chris, Thanks !

Hi Martyn, That's a damn good question !

I cant tell you exactly but halfway the build (airframe) i made a rough estimate and i must have spend around 1500 €. (I hope my wife dusn't read this).

The fuselage is going to cost a lot less,because i can use the moulds of my PSS model.

The real cost is going to be the motor ,esc,landing gear and electronics.

Let's hope i can sell a few kits,and get some money back .cheeky

• 1 month later...

Hello guy's ,Long time no see ! But here i am again.

As much as i want to make some wings in the new moulds,for the moment it's not yet possible .There is still doubt about the sandwich material (airex,cork or some other thin foam sort).

Second issue is my vacuumpump wich is still not ready for duty...

So the wings have to wait a while.

Dusn't mean i'm gonna watch TV at night...

Got the fuse moulds out,waxed them ,covered them with PVA.

Next thing is to both laminate them with 50gr,100gr,and 3 layers 200gr.

No gel coat or in mould coating ,as the result is going to serve as the new plug for the edf fuse.

There's more than 1 reason why this fuse is not going to be used to fly

1st: To make the construction as simple as possible,the wings are ''flat'' on the root-side.This makes it necessary to put the profile of the wing onto the fuse.

2nd I need a hatch for the motor

3rd I need a gear door opening

4th To simplefy the construction of the rudders,thesame solution is needed (like the wings)

But most of all , The exhaust openings are too small for edf.They were scale on the PSS version (62mm) and i need 72mm for edf. This problem was solved by placing a dummy in the moulds.The form won't be perfect but easy to correct after.

So let's make a fuse !!

Next day's (evenings)will be spend on adapting the wings on the fuse,placing the wing tube and anti-rotating dowels.

All this has to be done,keeping in mind the 2 deg. wing incedence (pos). After the wing profile is set onto the fuse , it will be too late to change this.Every fuse coming out of these moulds will have the same incedence angle !!

Stay tuned !!