Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Superb work Dirk! The methods and skills demonstrated in how you're ably applying them is really impressive to see explained pictorially like this - we do have some serious talent within our ranks here that's for sure! thumbs up

I'm looking forward to seeing how you join and reinforce the 2 wing halves!

Thanks Bob, Steve and Phil for the nice comments,i really needed a little boost after a windless PSS weekend in France.Driving 1600km to put a electric glider in the air isn't funny at all.

Not much new to show ,exept for the 4 flaps en ailerons being ready to take on the second half of their mould.20190605_205337.jpg

• 2 months later...

The last image shows the root-side ready to mould. This will be the last of 22(!) moulds for the wings.

the reason it took so long was the high temperatures we've had the last few weeks,up to 41 °C.

It's impossible to work with epoxy at this rates so i had to wait till late at night to startclock laminating.

It's in the twenties now so i can move on.Just a few day's and i can start making wings : FINALLY.

Next post will show the whole of the 22 moulds.wink

Stay tuned and comment please! That's what keeps me going !

20190815_222301.jpg20190815_215526.jpg20190815_215219.jpg20190815_214737.jpg20190815_214543.jpg20190815_214514.jpg20190815_214507.jpg20190815_213824.jpgFoto's of the mould reinforcements.To prevent the mould from warping i placed some wooden scrap over the wing.They're glued with some epoxy mixed with cotton flakes to make it less liquid.The fillet is then covered with 1 layer of 200 gr glasscloth and resin.Strong as hell when dry!!20190815_213817.jpg

The reinforcements also serve as a support when the mould is upside down to form the actual wing(to prevent a warped wings)

The thing that always amazes me is how does one work and take photos at the same time. Epoxy and cameras do not mix otherwise there could be a second person taking the shots who has clean hands or gloves. I do make this stuff as well but am unable to work and take photos at the same time as I do not have anybody assisting me. I usually take photos after a session is done.

I truly understand the "pain" one goes through in making a full composite model but in the end it is worthwhile as copies could be made in the event of something happening to the model. Very nice work!

Reuben