Printing of plans

Andy C

Posted by Erfolg on 18/09/2018 19:59:25:

Recently my wife said how can a green grocer with one shop afford a +£2m house, obvious I replied they charge well over 4 times as ALDI, and still get customers, who swear at the superior quality. Plus they drive a Range Rover and a monster Mercedes.

I can't see the problem.

One used to run the country ! devil

Advert

Posted by kevin b on 18/09/2018 20:35:20:
Posted by Erfolg on 18/09/2018 19:59:25:

Recently my wife said how can a green grocer with one shop afford a +£2m house, obvious I replied they charge well over 4 times as ALDI, and still get customers, who swear at the superior quality. Plus they drive a Range Rover and a monster Mercedes.

I can't see the problem.

One used to run the country ! devil

Bit off topic Kevin. Buyer beware!

Piers

A print is a print. There can be no excuse for one A0 print costing £30 from one place, yet another costing £3, other than some believing that they have added a lot of value, or is it greed.

It is the same with so much, even groceries Caveat Emptor, as they say in Wigan.

Edited By Erfolg on 19/09/2018 13:05:07

Now that is interesting.

A man from WIGAN talking to a man named PIERS.

(a little geographical pun there ?)

I think Erfolg that there are a considerable number of printers out there who would take issue with your last comment.

As a keen member of this hobby I always happy to help others as long as there is no financial loss to myself (most of the time). I have a large format printer and computer software to run it. Even so it still costs about £5.00 a copy to print and send out a plan. That is not including the cost of my time (at least 12 minutes for an individual plan), or the expense of travelling to the nearest post office. You have paper costs, ink costs, machine servicing costs, electricity costs and depreciation (wear and tear) of the machine itself. That doesn't include the postage and packing costs.

In commerce the words "supply and demand" are used a lot. However as in ALL walks of life there are always those who are more than willing to take advantage of others. As we say in Yorkshire "watch thi sen" (we use English). wink 2

E-Bay is full of such anomalies where there is a huge price range for the same product. For example I purchased a part for a car for which I paid £80, another seller was asking £269!

Building is another area where there can be considerable 'profit taking' with huge variations in quotations, ostensibly for the same work. People can quote silly money for a particular job, I don't have any particular problem with that, apart from the fact that they are wasting my time (and theirs), they just won't get any business from me. Just because people ask inflated prices for a product doesn't mean you have to pay it, which is why competition is good. Negotiate or walk away. When the day comes when there is only one seller, Amazon, watch prices rise.

Back to printing! Businesses have different target markets/locations and corresponding overheads, which will affect their prices. I can easily believe that it can cost more than £5 to print and send out a plan Kevin and it is good of you that you will do that for other modellers. yes

I would second Plotgiant, I used them a couple of years ago to print up the plans I had drawn up on CAD for my Predator drone. I emailed them the DWF file and the order requirements. They phoned me back to clear up a little confusion I had created by my drawing number system. The plans were with me in a couple of days and very reasonably priced, in fact I needed to order double the quantity of drawings plus pay a 10 pence surcharge in order to meet their minimum order value of £ 5.00! Add £ 4.00 postage and for £ 9.00 I had a large Brown envelope of crisply drawn plans.

As for greengrocers owning 2 million pound house maybe he did the same as most over 65's did - maybe he left school at 15 or 16, earnt a living working hard from age 15, lived at home with his parents saving money for the deposit for a house and bought a house in need of decoration and repairs and did those repairs himself! Maybe he bought an old car and did any repairs himself to save money. Saved money by choosing just 1 wife to last a lifetime so saving the cost of divorce. Then maybe inflation did the rest whilst he saw his cheap house become valuable over the years as he just lived in it and maintained it himself.

But of course he might be younger, left school at 18, had a gap year, spent some years at university living it up on borrowed money whilst training to be an alchoholic, then eventually started work at age 25 living in a rented house while complaining about houses being unaffordable whilst he uses his excess energy at the gym instead of DIY.