Can't fly - there's something on the runway!

It looks like I may have to adjust the mix of the planes I bring as the weather suggests Saturday will be a 'moderate' breeze with Sunday being a bit stronger. Sods law of course as today, Friday, it is only a gentle breeze!

I am sure a moderate breeze (14 mph) is no problem for fast heavy things but it is close to the flying speed of many of my lightweights. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 28/09/2018 10:38:24

Posted by Andy G. on 28/09/2018 08:16:11:

Wow! That must be very expensive!

Well yes. But the (French) club has been awarded a grant by the national aeromodelling association and the local authority persuaded a local earthworks contractor to do the job at a special price as a goodwill gesture. It was done in a "gap" between other jobs I believe.

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:33:05

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:37:05

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:37:44

• 5 weeks later...

Hi David, just seen your post - good to meet you again 2-3 weeks ago, shame it was so windy. Yup, that runway is impressive! At 100m by 20m I could at least do some taxiing trials and a couple of brief hops into the air, and I'll follow your advice about modifying the tailwheel to stop it veering about. Apart from having its own big site and a great runway amid the vineyards, I really appreciate the "convivial" aspect of the club as emphasised by Germain! A marquee and a giant dish of paella cooking when I visited to meet other members, that's my idea of a club...Back in France on 26th November for a week, perhaps some decent flying weather? In Devon today it's wet, windy and cold...

rgds Tony

img_0781.jpg

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 28/10/2018 10:11:46

Posted by David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:32:19:
Posted by Andy G. on 28/09/2018 08:16:11:

Wow! That must be very expensive!

Well yes. But the (French) club has been awarded a grant by the national aeromodelling association and the local authority persuaded a local earthworks contractor to do the job at a special price as a goodwill gesture. It was done in a "gap" between other jobs I believe.

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:33:05

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:37:05

Edited By David Ovenden on 28/09/2018 23:37:44

Now there’s some decent joined up thinking and co-operating. yes

Back in June we were unable to fly the day after the Epsom Derby. Somebody left this behind!

downsheli1.jpg

It's the heli they normally do the sightseeing flights with on Derby Day, but had been grounded due to a technical issue. So when the rest of the helis and heliport departed in the evening G-LVDC was left behind!

It wasn't actually on our runway, but bang-on the centre line, not far out;

downsheli2.jpg

Our mown strip isn't as short as it looks in the pic! It's actually about 60 metres long and 12 metres wide, but the shot is taken from low down, and my phone has quite a wide-angle lens.