Returning old timer.

Stan Waters

Hi all, just coming back to aircraft again, have been tempted away by boats and railways over the past few years, but once again the aircraft has pulled me back.

Started as a lad some 70 years ago but always had some piece of model lurking somewhere, having tried other options my first love was model aircraft, soI suppose it is no surprise that I have gone full circle.

I remember selling of my old engine and saying to my wife 'i will not be needing these again' are well better start looking around, I have plenty of time know.

Just ordered my first kit, a Ben Buckle mini super 60, the adventure begins again.

Advert

If you kept all those old engines you a very rich man. That is at present. I would advice selling all of them. Then I would advice buying a modern engine, because. Well for one thing they are far more reliable, far more powerful and generally cost a lot less than the value of your old junk, erm, I really meant to say, your collectors classics.

I would advice avoiding OS, not because they are poor engines. No, it is because they are expensive, when pretty much as good engines are half the price. That is really half the price. SC is just one of many.

To ease your conscience, you will have money in your pocket.

The same is true for any radio stuff, modern equipment is cheap. Again most importantly, it actually works, consistently. As for price, as long as you avoid the all bells and whistles sets, really cheap (that should be good value reliable equipment). Modern servos are good.

Perhaps the message is, the badge is less important than many will die in a ditch to defend.

Thanks all for your relies, I will stay with ic for now but will look into electric for aircraft as I used this in the boats and have the odd bit of stuff lying around.

Need to get some radio gear and a new engine, the asp range look fair for the money I will be around for some help no doubt

RE boat electrics - TBH its unlikely you could use much of it in planes. As you'll know boat ESC's do forward and reverse - generally speaking we try to avoid reverse on aeroplanes, it doesn't tend to go well! Also most boat stuff is based around brushed motors as far as I know - so brushed motor ESCs as well. Aeroplanes are pretty well 100% brushless kit now.

BEB

The Hobby king Tundra comes with a reversing Speed controller. Very amusing to watch the audience when you reverse it to the take off position.

Try it in flight is interesting. A balance between crashing, and destroying the speed controller.

I would take issue with BEB. A fast boat has a similar power to weight ratio as an aircraft, with the same power and battery needs.

Posted by Don Fry on 06/10/2018 19:32:22:

The Hobby king Tundra comes with a reversing Speed controller. Very amusing to watch the audience when you reverse it to the take off position.

Try it in flight is interesting. A balance between crashing, and destroying the speed controller.

I would take issue with BEB. A fast boat has a similar power to weight ratio as an aircraft, with the same power and battery needs.

Yes there are fast boats - but only in the most extreme cases does their power to weight ratio approach that of even a sports aircraft. Yes there are planes that have ESC's that can go backward. I know of, Ohhh, let me see, is it 2 or is it 3?

To quote my post Don I said "generally speaking we try to avoid reverse on aeroplanes" I think the facts bear that out fine - a few exceptions is one thing, the "norm" is exactly how I stated it. So unless Stan is a "hot rod" hydroplane racer, I think my comment that his marine gear is likely to be of limited use in aircraft is sound.

BEB