Super tigre carb part

trebor

Advert

Is it beyond straightening? If the aluminium part is bent, you can anneal it by coating it with soap and gently heating it until the soap turns black. Let it cool and it should bend without cracking. After a few days the aluminium will age harden back to its normal condition.

Sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying it!

If you heat it up to dull red with a blow lamp and allow it to cool, that will anneal it and you can have a go at straightening it. The material will remian soft afterwards though, so then more liable to further accidental bending.

The danger of trying to straighten it without annealing is that it might simply snap off, depending on the particular grade and hardness of the brass.

If you have access to a lathe, then it is possible to hold it in the chuck and rotate it to check for straightness. You will also be more easily able to judge the best direction to give it a gentle knock to straighten it.

Stick it in the post and I can do if for you, if you are willing to wait a while and at you own risk of course.

at virtually every swap meet I've been to, there have always been a few ST carbs knocking about at the bottom of a box of bits of engines usually under the bench, mostly missing the needle as it was protruding and prone to being snapped. Shouldnt be that hard to get one. A few come up on ebay quite regulary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by Jonathan W on 17/01/2019 20:07:33:

Firstly, that is the older type ST carb with a different design of needle and spraybar assembly which is not compatible with trebor's carb..

Secondly, it's me who has already placed a bid!

Firstly ha ha ha

And secondly, I didn't want trebor to strip it down, but to fit the whole carb

He is a nice man, you buy it and give it him. !

Seriously, if I see a carb at the shows I will send it to him

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/01/2019 20:13:35