Adding Oil

Roger Dyke

Advert

The engine in question is an Enya 15-III of about 1973 vintage when I purchased it new. It's in good condition and has had about 2 years in total run time. The reason for the request comes from the original instructions which states 20% castor oil. I understand that the engine has a steel piston and liner which is not the same as the more modern engines. I know that models do get very gluey with this amount of oil. I just want to be fair to the engine.

Roger

Don,

The fuel is reasonably fresh (this year). In 1973 (approx.) I purchased the engine but it only did a couple of 5 minute flights.The two years represents the time it took me to learn to fly in 1994, plus about 12 months afterwards. It's not been used since until about two weeks ago when I re-joined a club. It's now had 4 flights in the last couple of weeks or so.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 27/10/2018 19:29:14

Roger, it depends on what synthetic oil is already in the fuel. It could be ML70 or Klotz (US,very expensive). Both are available over here. Or you could just top up with a few % castor. I have no experience with steel pistons and liners but I would just run it with the fuel you have keeping an eye on the temp and smell. Is the engine run in?

Roger, To go back to your question. It's true that older engines do need more oil. I think you're right to go to at least 20%, and there are many forties and fifties vintage engines for which even that wouldn't be enough.

IMO you can use just about any good quality oil. Just decide whether you want to increase the synthetic or the castor content (or both), and mix accordingly.

In the past, I've used Castrol Racing 2-stroke oil (synthetic), sold in supermarkets for motocross, etc. I've also used Castrol GTX car engine oil which was very good, and the current version of that is synthetic.

I was lucky to acquire a good stock of Castrol M and, for most of my fuels, I'm now using a mixture of the Castrol M and the Racing 2-stroke mentioned above. Works fine.

In any case, the golden rule has to be don't use less oil than is specified by the engine manufacturer!

Posted by Roger Dyke on 27/10/2018 18:37:16:

The engine in question is an Enya 15-III of about 1973 vintage when I purchased it new. It's in good condition and has had about 2 years in total run time. The reason for the request comes from the original instructions which states 20% castor oil. I understand that the engine has a steel piston and liner which is not the same as the more modern engines. I know that models do get very gluey with this amount of oil. I just want to be fair to the engine.

Roger

I wouldnt worry personally. I have run old os's that demanded 20% castor using 15% synthetic and they have never been happier!

Roger, I would not put castor oil in *any* of my engines, and some of them are old enough to make your Enya look like a spring chicken!

Aside from some Cox .049s, my oldest engine is a Webra 61, which I bought new in 1968 (or maybe late 67 - its a long time ago!). That has been run exclusively on synthetic for many years, and is still hauling a large aerobatic model around today!

My fuel of choice is Bekra, from Model Technics, which contains a blend of Klotz and EDL. Although intended for helicopter use (where heat dissipation is a priority), it also makes a good general purpose fuel. I use "straight" (no nitro) in the Webra and the Super-Tigres I have, and 16% nitro in the Cox, OS and Irvines. I also use it on 4-strokes! All are spotlessly clean, inside and out, after many years of service.

All castor does is cause varnish to build up on the outside, making the engine look bad and restricting cooling, and on the inside, gumming up the works and again restricting heat flow.

A mix of synthetic and castor may reduce the varnish build up, but won't eliminate it. Castor is past its sell-by date!

Although my *personal* preference is Bekra, any good quality synthetic fuel will be infinitely preferable to castor, regardless of the age of the engine.

--

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the post. I am very much okay with the mechanics of engines but very weak on fuel preparations. I know all about castor varnish from all my other engines. I am only going by manufacturers recommendations which I thought was a good place to start. Your experience with purely synthetics is valuable and might be a consideration for me in the future. Thank you for that.

Posted by brokenenglish on 28/10/2018 07:45:18:
Posted by Andrew Ray on 28/10/2018 06:51:07:

Roger, don’t forger the manufacture’s recommendation for oil is 45 years out of date.

I disagree, it's the engine technology that's changed.

I run a lot of old engines, and they really do need the oil proportions specified at the time.

Run the % oil if pushed to do so

But don't put Castor in the mix

Synthetic oil has evolved to suit our needs,