fokker dri wing incedence

bert baker

Advert

No plans but this period drawing does suggest all the wings, and even the undercarriage wing, were all set at the same angle of incidence.

Due to the relatively close spaced wings the slot effect on the lower wings ensures the top one stalls well before the others resulting in a gentle but positive nose drop.

Note also the 'incidence' of the tail plane! My own much smaller Triplane with true scale wing sections confirmed it really needs to be like that.

I am not sure stalling the bottom wing first is a sound idea.

I may be wrong but due to the wing stagger the bottom wing is behind the mean CofP of the 3 wings so when it stalls and looses lift the mean CofP of the still un stalled mid and upper wings will be further forward so creating a nose up pitch. This would not be desirable.

Posted by Ikura on 08/11/2018 14:12:46:

I only posted the above to help the guy, but if you know better and have experience of flying Fokker Dr.1 Triplanes then I bow to your wisdom.

All comment help Ikura

There are those that offset one wing, so both do not stall at the same time

My view has always been zero/zero, as bipes are difficult enough flying straight without building in assists

Edited By Denis Watkins on 08/11/2018 14:18:08

I have a Flair Triplane . I no longer have the plans. Donated .

But, my undercarriage wing is parallel to the bottom wing. Fact, measured.

If you try to stall it, flying in a straight line. Straight line mind. It nods, and settles in a 40 degree decent , at full up, motor at tickover, at moderate flying straight line speed, and it's stable. It answers to aileron. Rolls.

Now bottom wing and middle wing are locked onto the fuselage,.

I think the top wing is not stalled. It has the aileron what still works.

Therefore I reckon the top wind has a small negative incidence to the rest of the wings.

I will try to establish to whom I donated the plans.

Posted by Ikura on 09/11/2018 09:17:12:

Bert, try the following for the Fokker Triplane to fly without it being a nightmare:

Top wing: -1 degree

Middle wing: 0 degree

Bottom wing: +1 degree

Stabiliser: 0 degree

Axle fairing: 0 degree

The tail needs a significant incidence so 0 wont work. I have the smaller flair triplane and it, along with my flair nieuport, have the tail at a pretty serious angle. I really dont think 0 is a good idea. 

For the main wings, i would stick them all at 0 and just forget it. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 09/11/2018 11:27:07

About +3 degrees on the tailplane is required as it avoids the need for downthrust on the motor. I wouldn't agree with setting the tailplane to 0 degrees.

I have a Flair Dr1 and I'm fairly sure that all wings are at the same incidence, which is set by the fuselage for the lower and mid wings. It's also nearly impossible to stall from level flight, so that must say something for the setup.

13923577_10208175398715058_9114253461997369865_o.jpg

The Flair model isn't scale, so you can make the axle wing by eye. Some of it's dimensions are set by the distance between the wheels. i made a replacement one for mine a few years ago without a plan.

If you google for Fokker Dr1 plans there are plenty of other model Dr1 plans that are free to download to get ideas, but honestly it's simple to do on a "that looks ok" basis.