Bench top milling machine

Chris Walby

Advert

It’s not bad I had one of these with different badge/colour and it was ok. It will not have anything like the power or rigidity of a Bridgeport so you may find that you can’t use the bigger cutters that the Bridgeport can. As for quality, they are Chinese machines built down to a price so you get what you pay for. That said, there are a lot of people who turn out good work on them.

Bert

Thanks Bert,

I don't need anything like the size of the Bridgeport (one reason I didn't bring it home + it was 3 phase).

Most of the work is small bits and bobs for the model aircraft so will be aluminium and I can take my time.

Gary, one of the reasons I picked up a 1947 Myford was the total lack of guards. I have access to a lathe at work with self ejecting chuck key and guard that obscure's your view of the work piece..it a total pain in the rear end IMHO.

You will be telling me you never walk in front of restrained model with the engine running next!

I know this will not meet the approval of many, so firstly I do not say follow my lead or claim it is safe practice. On the subject of guards on workshop machines, I must admit I have removed the guards on 'some' of my machines, not all, (machine guards to protects hands and fingers such as circular saws etc I leave on) this is only where the guard obstructed my view of the work, and was practically impossible to work on ! I much prefer to use a clear full face good quality visor, I can see my work much better, less mistakes made, and in my opinion 'sometimes' safer, avoiding tools digging in or drill bits jamming simply because I couldn't see the work fully. So if you have to use workshop machines without a guard, please be safe, and at the very least wear eye protection, or better still a full face visor.

I have one of these......https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/SIEG-SX2-PLUS-Mini-Mill/SIEG-SX2P-HiTorque-Mill

Supplemented by a Chester 626 milling machine....

I'd avoid the Clarke machine, the electrics are not the best for reliability ( I can say this with some authority, having repaired numerous control boards) The motors are also fairly fragile, they tend to overheat and the gears are plastic. Replacement requires a strip down of the head after stripping the teeth from them...Clarke and other similar branded machines are well documented on the web about their shortcomings/reliabilty...

Edited By John Rudd on 16/11/2018 08:06:14

John and others thanks for the advice,

The SIEG looks the right size and reliability is one of my main concerns...I think my 1947 Myford has had sufficient time to settle in!

What's the accuracy of the beds like and backlash? I'll get asked by my Dad as he was a ex instrument tool maker! Although within a thou is good enough for me!

The self ejecting chuck key drives you mad...how are you meant to hold the work piece with one hand and the chuck key when you need two hands to use the darn thing!

Having said that I am slightly nervous of using the Myford in reverse......as it has a screw on chuck! Then again it hasn't fallen off yet!

It has main and reduction belts (unguarded of course)...if they are going around...don't put you finger in there as it will just hurt!

On the bright side keyless chucks for drills are one of the best inventions for the DIY person

Sorry OP off topic, but it is Friday

Chris,

If you are considering the Sieg machine, talk to Ketan at Arceurotrade. He is well respected in 'trade' and has customer service second to none.

If you hadnt noticed, the Sieg machine has a brushless 500 watt motor, the CMD unit from Clarke has a brushed motor, with a 350 watt rating. The torque on the Sieg mill is far superior ( imho....)

Edited By John Rudd on 16/11/2018 09:40:18

John,

I think I'll go with your advice, the review covered off most of my concerns and the Clarke seemed under powered and old technology if you get my drift.

With my collection of old cutters would you suggest the R8 or MT3 taper for chucks/collets, gut feeling is R8 but don't know the down side if there is one?

Posted by Chris Walby on 15/11/2018 22:02:06:

Gary, one of the reasons I picked up a 1947 Myford was the total lack of guards. I have access to a lathe at work with self ejecting chuck key and guard that obscure's your view of the work piece..it a total pain in the rear end IMHO.

You will be telling me you never walk in front of restrained model with the engine running next!

No Chris - it was the fact that it caught your eye - oh never mind.