Black Horse Spitfire 61

tigerman

Thinking about a project for this winter and was thinking it is about time I had a Spitfire again .I have not had a Spitfire since the old Kyosho Spitfire RIP .I like the look of the Black Horse Spitfire 61 .Now about what engine .I have a Laser 80 spare but would that be OK or would it be better on a Laser 100 ?

Advert

The 80 will be plenty. My 63 inch hurricane is 9.5 lbs and its fast enough at 1/2 throttle using a 15x6 prop. As the spit is a higher performing aircraft than the hurricane you could just use a bit more throttle, or use a 14x7 prop instead for greater speed.

All that said, the spit is likely to be less draggy than the hurricane so you might be ok with the 15x6.

I know the span of the spit is larger, but its very light so i really dont think you will need any more power if the projected weight is accurate.

If you use either engine you will need to remove the existing tank tray and mount the tank on the fuselage floor. Its not a big job and will make the engine much easier to operate.

I just noticed the firewall to prop driver length is very short. You might have have budge the firewall back a bit, but again its hardly a big job. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 17/11/2018 12:15:17

Thanks Jon ,The other model I like is the Seagull P 47 Razorback (Snafu) but I did not think the Laser 80 would be enough for the P 47 but looking at the spec for the Black Horse Spitfire ,the P47 looks very similar so would I get away with a Laser 80 in the Seagull P 47 ? I would prefer the Seagull P47 .Just thought I would need a Laser 100 in the P 47?

The 100 is probably better in the thunderbolt as its a bit heavier (3/4lb worst case) and is much bulkier with a draggy airframe. The 80 will fly it no problem, but its not likely to be as comfortable as the lighter and sleeker spitfire, especially if you add the dummy bombs and whatnot that come with it.

My Hurricane was 10lbs on its first flight and the 80 brutally over powered it but if the two were sat next to eachother i suspect the P47 would look considerably larger. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 17/11/2018 14:23:39

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!! back to the drawing board ,Black Horse Spitfire 61 DISCONTINUED crying Every time I like a model I find it discontinued .Try again ,now I know Hanger 9 have just brought out some new models ,so they should not be discontinued .They do a new Carbon Cub for a 15cc petrol engine ,Now they Laser 80 should fly that yes I hope .Hanger 9 also do a 80" Piper cub but I am sure the Laser 80 will be bit over the top for that .I never thought I would have so much trouble finding a model for my Laser 80 !!!

I have the same problem. I’m trying to get a Black Horse Chipmunk. Nothing available until March 2019. I’m also looking for another Spitfire to replace my World Models Spit 61. Being a frequent Seagull P47 flyer and a big fan of that plane I certainly wouldn’t want to put my Laser 80 in one . Mine is powered with a Laser 100 and that’s perfect for it. I didn’t fit the bombs and drop tank either. It might well fly with the 80 but in my view would be slow. I flew the p47 yesterday and it was great despite wind above 20mph. I have also been looking for a Mustang just in case but it seems the same story. There do seem to be some Top Flite Spitfire kits around though?

Yep very frustrating. It does make me wonder why the delay is so big ? Quite unusual for a manufacturer. I have a spare set of wings for the BH Chipmunk so particularly want that model. It looks great and will fly very well indeed with my Laser 80. I plan to put my OS 95 v I have spare in a Spitfire or maybe Mustang . I think the BH Spit does look gorgeous and seems to be the nicest ARTF one . My World Models Spit flew very well but the wire retracts were a bit basic and due to their “dog leg” shape could not be replaced easily With Oleos.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 18/11/2018 21:42:58

i believe orders are placed long in advance and are by the container load. Order quantity is obviously worked out through predicted sales etc. If things sell out quicker than expected due to say, a better than average summer, then there is a shortfall and a long delay getting models back.

Clearly i am speculating, but it could be the reason.

Its also possible they only sold out of a few models and have so many others in stock they cant fill a full container with what they need. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 18/11/2018 23:30:54

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 18/11/2018 23:30:11:

i believe orders are placed long in advance and are by the container load. Order quantity is obviously worked out through predicted sales etc. If things sell out quicker than expected due to say, a better than average summer, then there is a shortfall and a long delay getting models back.

Clearly i am speculating, but it could be the reason.

Its also possible they only sold out of a few models and have so many others in stock they cant fill a full container with what they need.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 18/11/2018 23:30:54

Spot on Jon, it is some years since I imported, but best prices were in 10s per model, and then mixed 10s to make up

100 models minimum, to get the best price.

The idea of ordering a couple of Spitfires, and one Chipmunk from China is very very expensive and probably impossible.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/11/2018 07:46:38