Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Hi Tony. Glad your happy with your conversion. Read this today which was interesting and had some photos of his very neat installation but not east to post here unless out of your album but interesting read:as he has insstalled it to heat a conservatory- As you all know i'm sold on mine and the wife's heater installation and the wife is using her craft cabin more and more now there is good heating which is why I posted the video.

NAME REMOVED
From previous experience 2 x 2kw electric fan heaters do similsr job but would cost 31p per hr to run.
Oil central heating on but needs to be boosted alot to keep conservatory warm but pointless as heating whole house to keep conservatory warm when hardly in rest of house and it holds its heat anyway.
Extra central heating would have cost approx 41p per hour / £4.10.
Happy with results and worth the effort ;">😃
Already got one in the van cant fault these for the price

This bit should have been before the last bit I cut and pasted but for some reason it did not paste the full bit so here is the bit that was missed out...

Had the 8kw (prob just a 5kw rebadged) installed properly for over a week now running off a 240v to 12v converter 2x10litre tanks and insulated hot air piping since pic. From Wed night to Fri night it was on for 31hrs keeping a 30m2 conservatory (approx 85m3) at a constant 21 to 23 degrees C.
It used 12 litres of kero costing £6.60.
Today topped it back up, played with settings 10hrs later used 2 litres so £1.10 or 0.2ltr per hr / 11p an hr. Still at constant 21/23 degrees.
From previous CONTINUES ON ABOVE POST...

As a footnote the only issue I can really see is the longevity of the units which of course is the unknown however as they are copies of existing well know heaters that have been around for years the design is well proved.

Back up parts are on eBay, Banggood and AliExpress which was also why I eventually ordered and so far I don't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

If the diesel heater can't cope with your workshop, how about this from Machine Mart which I noticed today - 42 kW electric fan heater!

Only slight drawback would be that it needs a 63A 3 phase supply and a rather large bank balance...

Personally, I'll be sticking with my diesel heater for the foreseeable future. laugh

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/01/2019 10:48:44

Seen a large one like this recently - it was scary to think how much it was costing to run...

I have to say my (and my wife’s) diesel heaters are a boon even in this weather. I know a lot of people have managed to get one even though there have been no U.K. stockists and a lot of people have also been messed about by sellers but at least on eBay they have got refunds. Just a word of advice to save you having problems when your up and running.

1) Don’t mess about with the settings - unless you have to because something is wrong. So many have gone down this route and the heaters have started throwing up error codes.

2) Before you finish in your installed building or van the diesel heater will have been on for some time and reached the temperature you set so the heater will have reduced its power output it is important that you increase the temperature setting higher thus causing the heater to output full heat (that’s why you do it a while before you leave). This will help burn off any soot that may have built up within the combustion chamber while the heater was running on low output.

3) Ensure you have enough fuel - and don’t let it run out which will probably result in an immediate shut down which will cause damage to your unit.

Hope this will help you but if you’ve got any sensible questions I will be more than happy to help with advice in any way I can. Regards Peter

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 31/01/2019 18:41:43:2)

3) Ensure you have enough fuel - and don’t let it run out which will probably result in an immediate shut down which will cause damage to your unit.

I don't think there's any real problem - having accidentally let mine run out a few days ago! It went into a shut down cycle - just needed a bit of priming before it started up after refilling but I would agree it's better to try to avoid the situation.

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/02/2019 13:03:44:
Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 31/01/2019 18:41:43:2)

I don't think there's any real problem - having accidentally let mine run out a few days ago! It went into what sounded like a normal shut down cycle - just needed a bit of priming before it started up after refilling but I would agree it's better to try to avoid the situation.

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/02/2019 13:05:18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sooo glad I fitted the heater - still using it in April with all this cold weather. The other unit I fitted into the wife’s craft cabin is also great and she is nice and toasty as well. Few neighbours have als fitted them as well now and using them in outside workshops - just a point on that as one of my neighbours has a woodworking workshop so to alleviate any issues on dust build up within the heater and being a problem he has adapted a big diesel lorry air filter which fits onto the hot air recirculating vent which solves possibilities of any future problem. Still as reliable as ever and using red diesel it is really cost effective...

The mad rush to buy these units in the northern hemisphere has now eased so supply should not be a problem like it has been but winter is coming to the Southern Hemisphere so China will be gearing up for that market shortly so if your interested get one and fit it now you won’t regret it. Regards Peter

Hi Martin. You lucky fellow. The sheet metal stand can be straightened out (mine was) and the case clips can be easily sorted and as you got all your money refunded you have got yourself a free heatersmiley.

You need to to get it working and get warm - from what you said in your previous posts this won’t be hard...

Having cleared a little of my shed I decided to have a look at mine and see if I could straighten it out. Don`t know about the base plate by hand as has been suggested, mine took a lot of beating with a big hammer and some thick metal plates plus bending with mole wrenches. The assembly clips now all fit after similar treatment.

After some searching on line I found some operation instructions for a not too dissimilar display so started to go through it. Suddenly the unit started up and went through the procedure, eventually giving out heat even though I had not set any temperatures. Panic now since I did not know how to stop it properly. I hit the on/off once without holding it down (as I now know you should) and after clouds of smoke it stopped. Happy that it seems to work I shall install it tomorrow.

One inclusion which puzzled me was a small plastic part with one end about 3/4" and a small hole at the other. My son informed me that it was an empty party popper. Some joker in the packing dept no doubt.

Got it installed today and tried a run. Scrolling through the options I came to ambient temperature; the next press of OK should be the target but it just goes straight to Hz which I assume is the frequency of the pump. Tried this many times with the same result. It rapidly heated the shed from 14 deg to 22 deg so I did a proper shut down. Tried to set the target temp. again but no luck. Any ideas out there?

P.S., no error codes.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 12/04/2019 19:27:50

Hi Martin. If your not careful you will alter the settings within the LCD controller and that will mess it up.

To get from Hz to temperature C press both top buttons together at the same time.

This will change the display from Hz to C.

The C setting must always be a higher setting than the ambient temperature of course...

i would suggest you go on line and look for some instructions to read else you will end up with sooting problems whic means dismantling the unit and removing the build up of soot - messy job - and you will still have an issue if you have dabbled with the settings inadvertently...

Most of the issues are caused by inadvertently altering the settings when just pressing buttons so beware.

knew it would work well for you - I’ve still got mine on in the shed now putting final touches to another plane.

Nice and toasty. Regards Peter

Hmmm...don't get that on my menus. Target temp is set by the up and down buttons on the right and shows on the display - left bottom button shows things such as input voltage, target temperature and input air temperature and circles through them.

The measured temperature at the inlet runs much warmer than the ambient air temperature - probably a circulation issue - on mine. I simply set it to whatever seems a reasonable heat once its raised to a stable situation.

Hi Martin. The buttons on my LCD controller are a star on the left and up arrow on the right.

Once you press both you alter the display to time and by pressing the up down arrows you can set your preferred temperature however this is only s rough guide - after you set the preferred temperature the display will revert to the time setting again. Regards Peter

My panel:

20190412_210548.jpg

Time is displayed on power up - single press on the middle right button to start the heater. Top and bottom adjust desired temperature.

OK button is the one which cycles through the various info such as input voltage, target temperature and input air temperature etc.

Press and hold the centre right button to start the shutdown sequence.

I never touch the top left button.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/04/2019 21:19:20