Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Here's a bit more info:

Diesel is sometimes called 35-second oil, whereas heating oil is called 28-second oil. This is a measure of it's viscosity. The number of seconds is based upon how long it takes 50ml to drip through a certain sized hole into a container. Diesel is therefore more viscous and less volatile (harder to ignite and burns at a lower temperature).

Edited By Gary Manuel on 17/11/2020 14:19:31

I have a friend who uses Jet 1 in his heater (modified). He services helicopters and they have to drain the fuel every time, but not allowed to put it back in. It therefore has to be "disposed of". It gets quite warm in his workshop.

Unfortunately our strip is too short to fly jets off. sad

Posted by kevin b on 17/11/2020 18:21:21:

I have a friend who uses Jet 1 in his heater (modified). He services helicopters and they have to drain the fuel every time, but not allowed to put it back in. It therefore has to be "disposed of". It gets quite warm in his workshop.

What sort of mods? I understood that kerosene (which is what Jet A-1 is) was a "normal" (and cleaner burning) alternative fuel for these heaters, although I haven't tried it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/11/2020 01:03:26

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/11/2020 01:02:30:
Posted by kevin b on 17/11/2020 18:21:21:

What sort of mods? I understood that kerosene (which is what Jet A-1 is) was a "normal" (and cleaner burning) alternative fuel for these heaters, although I haven't tried it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/11/2020 01:03:26

I think his heater was originally set up for oil. It is quite a large workshop.

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a UK supplier preferably on ebay for a 5kw unit. So can any one recommend a company to use. Most of the listing say they are in the UK but the business address is the far east. Not particularly happy with getting a unit shipped into the UK at the moment given the issues with Covid and leaving the EU so want to use a UK supplier.

Mine came from a place supposedly in Walsall but was clearly shipped from China and arrived in a dreadful state due to inadequate packing, but got it for free in the end and I made good the damage. It did not have a remote but that is not a problem. I think that you just need to take a chance on these. Make sure that you order a baffled silencer as well, although the noise, once settled down to temperature, is very little. Would not be without it now.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 22/12/2020 18:03:21:

Mine came from a place supposedly in Walsall but was clearly shipped from China and arrived in a dreadful state due to inadequate packing, but got it for free in the end and I made good the damage. It did not have a remote but that is not a problem. I think that you just need to take a chance on these. Make sure that you order a baffled silencer as well, although the noise, once settled down to temperature, is very little. Would not be without it now.

Martin, was it tuningurvehicles that you used as note they say they reside in Walsall (not)?

• 2 weeks later...

Found a UK supplier for the 5Kw heater with delivery in 3 days on ebay for £77, so quite pleased. Can provide details for anyone else looking for one.

No silencer was provided, so you need to spend a further £8.50 but have yet to receive that item so cant vouch for its quality.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 31/12/2020 17:49:43:

Do you have a pic of one? If not then please tell me the supplier,just curious.

Will ping you a PM with details.

Notice item is now priced at £99. Confirmed the package was missing the silencer and remote control. However this should not be an issue.

Advice needed.

I have read through this thread and am interested in getting a heater for my workshop which is a well insulated precast concrete garage(no garage door, just normal side door).around 17'x10'

It seems that they are not stock items so looking aroundI came across Planar heaters and spoke with the stockiest. It seems that they feel their heaters would be unsuitable for the job in hand, that they would not be powerful enough It was a 4kw version. Is there a chinese one that will do the job.

Edited By Graham R on 04/01/2021 22:32:56

They are all the same / identical regardless of rating apparently - just marketed - with different KW. I have "5KW " and used to use a 2kw oil heater which took more than a few hours to really warm things up, but the diesel heater is 3-4 times quicker.

They like to be run hard as this keeps them clean. I run mine on kerosene, as I have it to hand for the main boiler of the house ... The "8kw" diesel heater will blow your existing oil heater away ; when it is really cold I can barely notice that my 2kw oil heater is on even when stood nearby - the same can't be said for the "5KW" diesel heater - when on full it really blasts the heat out and you can feel the difference even at the other end of a 4 metre shed ! Don't think you will be disappointed providing you set it up right and have good access to a ready supply of fuel

Thank you. My w/s is a std garage. the walls are insulated with 50mm celutex then plasterboard. the apex roof has been insulated with the modern 1" thick foam that they use on modern floors prior to flooring and then clad in upvc cladding. My only problem is exiting the exhaust. I could try drilling through the foam and the precast concrete or filling in one of the small chest height windows with wood or something else.

Any help would really be appreciated as I would like to get back into the w/s to do some building during this lockdown period.