Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Hi Martin, we are still waiting for ours to arrive, I ordered two heaters, one for grumps, (my father) and one for myself. I also ordered two of those mufflers as linked to by Gary, it seems they have run out of UK stock now as they had 3 left in stock yesterday and none today! I too will be reporting back on how good these heaters are, it seems that a friend of ours is now interested in one now that my dad has told him about it! This link is to the heater which I have bought:

https://www.banggood.com/12V-5KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-4-Holes-All-In-1-LCD-Thermostat-for-Trailer-Truck-Car-p-1368620.html?p=6J161816237002201711&custlinkid=117256

I know theyre on ebay, but they seem to all come from china anyway!

Advert

Posted by Marc Osbourne on 12/01/2019 12:02:05:

I also ordered two of those mufflers as linked to by Gary, it seems they have run out of UK stock now as they had 3 left in stock yesterday and none today!

Ha! I noticed it said 1 in stock when I ordered the last one...

If anyone else is looking, these seem to be the same as the Banggood one

One thing I've noticed is that using the inbuilt temperature setting results in an early drop back to the low setting - in my installation with the exhaust pipe routed straight out through the wall behind, after a few minutes running this morning, the fan intake was at 16 degrees when the air temperature in the workshop was around 11 degrees. It looks like the sensor is fairly accurate as I'd set the thermostat to 16 degrees but in order to heat up efficiently, I'll need to set the unit above the desired air temperature, at least during warm up.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/01/2019 12:37:44

Hi Martin. 👍So pleased you got there in the end and it’s only genererally transit problems that seem to arise but most are easily cured by modellers who can all straighten a bit of bent metal or a clip that’s come undone. Other thing I have found was the front four outlet cover on the case was out on one side and although it had only become unlatched there was no hot air escaping and it was discovered after I did the video but it shows as always the importance of a pre inspection before flight! You have already discovered the importance of a good power supply and usually people don’t understand that the unit takes time to prime with fuel which is another cause for the error code showing on the display. Our two heaters together with the one I ordered for my friend Dave have so far been faultless and have enabled all of us to work in comfort - to get up to the shed and do some work and potter about when I have a few hours is great with a quick warm up from the heater.🔥🔥🔥🥵🥵🥵

I always put the heaters up to full 5kW of power for five minutes before I shut the units down so if there has been any soot build up within the combustion area while is been running on low after the set temperature was reached inside it will (hopefully) be burnt off. One other thing that’s become clear is that often owners have played with the LCD controller setting ratio for fuel and air - this could be by accident or perhaps they were not set correctly in the first place however all three units we have had have been faultless so why touch the settings - My friend Dave has used and expensive professional exhaust gas analyser and his showd perfect combustion so no reason to suspect ours were any different.

I am sure you will now be toasty but the fact remains how reliable will they be and that’s like knowing how long a bit of string is so we will find out but on looking at forums the signs are all very good generally. Most parts are available for the heater from a combination of AliExpress and Banggood and that includes motors. You have to be patient while looking at the sites but the parts are there and don’t cost much. Stay warm all and keep the feedback coming.

Regards Peter

Had a response from PP regarding my dispute. The seller has agreed to refund, BUT, they want me to send it to China at my expense before they pay up! Can you just imagine the cost of this from the UK? Anyway, it was not me who packed the thing in such a way that it got irrepairably damaged in transit and I see no reason why I should end up out of pocket. Now trying to actually speak to someone at PP but this is not easy. I can see this getting very nasty and may need to resort to approaching Visa since they are supposed to protect me as well.

Martin,

This may sound as aggressive action, go straight to Visa, explain the position and let them advise....Paypal are useless...Its not your fault the goods were damaged in whatever way and why should you return it at your expense?

Take no prisoners is my approach...be ruthless...

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 12/01/2019 21:38:56

Hi Martin - I’m so sorry but I thought you had resolved / fixed the problems you had but sounds far worse than I thought. They normally offer you a sum back as a refund which at first is unreasonable but with bartering an amicable price is reached for both parties. In this instance they are being unreasonable expecting you to foot the bill for the return postage which they would never acknowledge as being received anyway so to Visa you should go... Sad

Hi both. PP have three days to come back with something more sensible or I shall try Visa. If no luck I shall try MoneyMail who seem to have a lot of success but probably not interested in a small trader.

As I said earlier, I have already caught a cold dealing with PP. When I eventually got to speak to an advisor they were very sympathetic but their hands are tied by the seller who has put a last post by date on the return.

They are dealing with the wrong person here since I can be like a dog with a bone.

Sorry to hear of you continuing problems Martin . Mine arrived today , 1 day later than the stated date at purchase but the was down to the Royal main sending it to Sheerness delivery office . Your obviously buying to many of these on the Island Peter smiley

All looks ok and no apparent damage . Was well wrapped in secure box. Will see if it works ok in the next couple of days but first have to decide where I can fit it asall walls are a bit cluttered with stuff .

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 12/01/2019 18:27:56:

Hi both. PP have three days to come back with something more sensible or I shall try Visa. If no luck I shall try MoneyMail who seem to have a lot of success but probably not interested in a small trader.

As I said earlier, I have already caught a cold dealing with PP. When I eventually got to speak to an advisor they were very sympathetic but their hands are tied by the seller who has put a last post by date on the return.

They are dealing with the wrong person here since I can be like a dog with a bone.

Have just looked up China Post Costs Martin

And truly, your best way forward is to Fix that heater

The lads on here would send you photos and instructions and you would then have your original intention

If I really wanted to I may be able to fix it but why should I have to? One end of the base plate is well and truly squashed nearly flat and could not easily be straightened out with what I have (have tried). Some of the clips are mangled too. Will await a response from PP. Could do with it working right now.

Did you get a figure for posting it back to China Please?

Engine doctor - Hi Phill I’m glad you have got yours OK and as for fitting it as you say you’ve not much room I can never believe as after tackling Jans craft cabin which had no extra room at all I think any other installation would be a pushover. I just about had enough room to push things aside and then slide the heater in... Not only has the wife got a bigger craft cabin than me she has so much more in it... Take a look

Martin - I can quite understand your wanting to get this resolved properly - while I'm not averse to fixing small defects for my own convenience, there comes a point where the seller has to take responsibility. Rather than Paypal, might it not be better to contact Ebay - especially as the seller appears to be contravening their policies:

Who pays postage for eBay returns?

Whatever the reason for a return, as long as it’s requested within the appropriate time frame, you have to refund the original postage costs. Who pays the cost of returning an item depends on the situation:

• If the item is returned because it's faulty, not as described, or damaged in the post, the seller has to pay return postage costs.
  • However, if the buyers want to return the item for any other reason within 14 days, they have to pay to send it back (as long as you made this clear in your listing).
  • If you have to pay the return postage costs and use an eBay label the cost will be included on your next monthly seller invoice as a fee.

You might be offered a partial refund as an alternative to returning the heater- this might be worth considering. I bought a machine vice recently which came with the wrong sized handle...the seller didn't want to open another box and send me the correct one, offered to get one sent by the manufacturer with a 20 to 30 day leadtime - or would I like a 50% rebate? This is an attractive offer as I'm sure I can knock something up - or use a spanner - so I'm close to accepting it although up to this point I've been insisting on the correct item.

MH, I don`t think that this one was listed on ebay, at least my purchase history does not show it.

I bought it from a UK seller so where it was shipped from is none of my concern and EU law says that the return postage for a faulty item has to be paid by the seller. Mind you, try telling that to HobbyKing.

If they offered me a substantial part refund I could get someone with the right gear to bash it back into shape.

I am still having a ding dong with PP who say that they are awaiting a response from me whereas it is the other way round. Eventually they told me that they can pay up to £15 for a return but the seller`s deadline for posting is tomorrow. They would not budge on this and advised me to try Visa. Easy to get hold of and I got much more sense from them. The transaction has now been removed from my a/c and am now awaiting a form from them to make a full claim including collection of the damaged item if the seller so wishes.

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 18/01/2019 18:17:27:

Hi Gary. Thats the reason I made this video as there was no information around on paring the remote unit to the heater so I hope this video helps others.

Regards Peter

Hi Peter. I was supplied the same remote but just pressed the buttons an it worked ? Already paired. Using heater with pipes poked under the garage door at the moment. Even with the draught it still make the temperature bearable and should be far better when properly installed.

Ps. Where do you get your red diesel from ?

Martin - you might end up with a heater for free - I’m sure you could patch it up. You won’t be the first. I think the Chinese do not pack items very well for international shipping hence the damage on delivery. It is common for the base legs to get bent but are easily straightened out and with my two and one I ordered for a friend (total 3) the same leg was bent a bit on all three but it was only thin tin plate so no problem bending it back with pliers and as they were going in sheds I was not worried about a bit of paint damage caused by the pliers I used to straighten out... only other thing if it’s had a hard journey is to inspect it but if it was all there at despatch you should be able to get it working —-and if it works out being free what a lucky bunny you will be - he he.smiley

Hi Phill. Hire shops sell 20 litre containers for use on their hired building machinery like diggers and excavators. At the moment I have been able to use a friends as he has been having some work done and added 40 litres onto his order for me but unless I can find a supply it will have to be from a garage next time but I’m keeping my fingers crossed I can get a supply - up the Medway they must do it for vessels but nothing in Queenborough - shame. Has yours come? How is yours running? You pleased? Regards Peter

I'm fascinated by the idea of using a diesel-powered heater, though it seems an extreme solution, and in my case wholly impractical. I can't see many people going down that road.

After spending the best part of three grand last year turning my refrigerator-cold garage into a decent workshop, I probably wouldn't have considered it necessary to spend loads of money on heating! I dry-lined the lot, properly battened at 40cm centres, with Gtech insulation board then Celotex on the ceiling, and a high-tech insulated (and shockingly expensive) new door from Germany. I just bought a £20 el-cheapo convector heater, and having that on for less than half an hour beforehand makes my workshop as cosy as I want it. Wish I'd done all this years ago...

rgds Tony