Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Looking at Peter's videos he is running the exhaust out through the wall of a timber shed, with some sort of hear resistant lagging around the exhaust pipe. I'm guessing that when these are used inside vehicles the exhaust must exit somewhere?

My workshop is stone, rather than brick, with very thick walls, so drilling an 25mm diameter hole through there is something to be avoided if at all possible. I doubt that there is 25mm clearance in the mortar between the stones.

Just suppose you direct your exhaust gas via a heater matrix and forget to turn you heater off or run it against a high heat load (very cold outside), just how hot will the matrix get?

Not as per manufacturers instructions, no over temperature protection and your shed burns down....I think it will be a very one way conversation with the house insurers.

Anyone considered why the exhaust gas gets that hot? I would expect its for a reason of the manufacturer would be using that heat to improve the efficiency of the unit.

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/11/2019 11:19:04:

As long as they aren't soft soldered - exhaust temperatures are high enough to melt joints...don't forget the importance of gas tightness - there's the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning to consider.

Using the water coil around the exhaust and pumping that. I'm not brave enough to run exhaust gases back into the shed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still haven't seen a decent alternative for getting the exhaust out to the outside without drilling a tricky hole through a >2 foot thick stone wall. I'd hoped to be able to take a single pane out of the glazed door and replace it with something similar to the no-longer-available heat-resistant and non-conductive asbestos sheet that used to be readily available. Haven;t seen anything of that sort for years and the local Wickes had nothing remotely suitable.

Wow. i ordered my heater on the 14th December and was told delivery would be on the 20th January

But it turned up today, how good is that, so now im waiting for the power supply to arrive

Im going to run mine on kerosene as i think it will burn cleaner

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/12/2019 16:37:41:

Do you think that there is a price advantage over red diesel? I could only buy this localish for 99p/l. When I had a turbine I had to travel a long way to get kerosine but cannot remember the price. My heater works just fine on diesel at 125p/l.

What part of the world are you in? I get mine from a heating oil supplier who has a red diesel pump in their yard. I believe there's a strong possibility that it is fed from one of the heating oil tanks...certainly we were told by our club's red diesel supplier's driver that it was the same stuff as heating oil a few years ago. As their minimum order is 500 litres, I had to look elsewhere when I bought my heater.

It might be worth trying to find a central heating oil supplier local to you and ask them if they supply red diesel by the litre.  I bought some recently at 68p per litre.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/12/2019 21:34:14

It sounds like you've done plenty of research - although the boatyard price seems a lot more than I thought a friend with a narrow boat pays at his marina. Given your location I'd imagine the boatyard is on the Grand Union?

I travel just under 10 miles each way for mine but have so far combined it with other things in the same general direction - and now I've acquired a second 25 litre tractor oil drum, the trips aren't too frequent. The supplier is fine with me filling these but didn't allow me to use surplus glow fuel containers. I suspect that a friendly word with a local garage might get you some similar containers at little or no cost.

I used to buy red diesel for my tractor from a local agricultural machinery supplier. I have just googled 'red diesel suppliers in Dorset' (where I live) and found three within ten miles. It is used not only for agricultural machinery but also in the construction industry and commercial marine use, so is widely available. It is half the price of regular diesel so probably worth the effort to get it, just buy a five gallon jerry can to put it in ( B & Q or ebay).

Jet A1 (Avtur) is available at most licensed aerodromes but is about the same price as red diesel, about 65p ltr.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/12/2019 05:15:24

In fair I've been using ine of theses heater for a couple of months, I tend to be in the man cave in the evenings so maybe 3/4 hrs at a time, the amount of diesel it uses is stupidly little, cost saving by buying cheaper rather than esso isn't worth worrying about. We spend so much on other RC stuff!

Clearly if you are running this 24hrs etc then ok money to save, watched a youtube video is the usa of a guy running it flat out on 7ltrs of diesel I think and it went on for 26hrs!

Great bit it kit by the way, i have it in a wooden shed, exhaust is wrapped and put through a metal pipe, again insulated from the wood.

Many garages that cater for large HGVs sell red diesel as the lorries use it for the cab heaters. Our local supplier ,an Esso garage sells it at 83p a ltr . You will have to fill in a form every time you buy any and declare what you using it for. A full tank approx 3 LTRs lasts about 7 hrs at full burn so good value heating .

The biggest plus I have found since using this heater is the lack of condensation compared to other forms of heating like gas or space heaters. yes

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/12/2019 10:37:32

Kerosine is slightly more refined than Red Diesel and so should burn cleaner and hotter. Not sure about comparative prices because I haven't been able to find a Kerosine (Heating oil) supplier who sells small enough quantities.

This might help explain the difference between them and where they sit in relation to other oils / gases:

22-12-2019 13-02-05.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have my heater in and running, what a fantastic piece of gear it is, thank you Bruce for the information, i have it on for 10/15 minutes and the hangers up to temp, i switch it off and the hanger looses not more than one degree an hour, well pleased, only down side is i cannot get the remote to work, it has power, am i missing something