Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Posted by Graham R on 05/01/2021 11:55:06:

Thank you. My w/s is a std garage. the walls are insulated with 50mm celutex then plasterboard. the apex roof has been insulated with the modern 1" thick foam that they use on modern floors prior to flooring and then clad in upvc cladding. My only problem is exiting the exhaust. I could try drilling through the foam and the precast concrete or filling in one of the small chest height windows with wood or something else.

Any help would really be appreciated as I would like to get back into the w/s to do some building during this lockdown period.

Just be sure to ensure it's non-combustible. I turned my exhaust for the silencer to run along the outside wall with a tight fitting 22mm yorkshire elbow and the next time I looked, the solder ring had melted and flowed out!

Posted by Andy Joyce on 07/01/2021 18:06:46:

Thanks Martin, did you cut any slots in the fitting to improve its fitting or seal the joint with some form of exhaust putty?

The joints are outside so I just push fitted them.

img_0618.jpg

(I know it's pictured from an Antipodean viewpoint but it illustrates it OK!)

Why 2 silencers? Well, the first one was illustrated as a baffled one and arrived straight through - the seller refunded me but said to keep it so I just added it for luck when Igot the baffled one. The temporary arrangement has held up well so I haven't got round to more permanent fixings...

Out of interest has anyone installed the silencer itself inside the work area with an exit pipe outside with the aim to recover some more heat. Thinking that this is probably a bad idea as suspect some of the exhaust noise comes from the silencer walls rather than from the exit tail pipe. Also I assume it would increases the chance of exhaust gases leaking into the workshop. However thought it worth asking to see how others have installed the heater.

Still debating what to do about a secondary fuel tank possibly with a submersible pump regarding what size and location. Thinking an external tank outside the workshop would be better to avoid the risk of spillage and resulting diesel smells lingering. Ex service 20lt jerry cans seem to be very cheap so this could be an option.

Posted by Andy Joyce on 09/01/2021 11:43:12:

Still debating what to do about a secondary fuel tank possibly with a submersible pump regarding what size and location. Thinking an external tank outside the workshop would be better to avoid the risk of spillage and resulting diesel smells lingering. Ex service 20lt jerry cans seem to be very cheap so this could be an option.

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one from fleebay. I've gone for the DIY kit type rather than the stand alone 'all in one'. I also intend to mount the tank on the outside wall of my workshop {brick] with a boxed in weather proof cover, this will make it easy to refill, and I'll feed the fuel line through the wall. 1st reason is the heater will be in a restricted space and a bit awkward for refilling if I have the all in one model, I also don't want diesel spillage on the wood flooring, even a small drop will stink. 2nd reason is it comes with a 10L tank as opposed to the 4L tank with the 'all in one' type, so less refilling. As Andy said, a bigger tank could also be an option.

Fingers crossed it's estimated to arrive in a week .but not holding my breath. I've gone for click and collect from my local Argos store, so I'll have some back up from them if it doesn't arrive as I've had some parcels gone missing in the past even tho' courier tracking claim it's been delivered and signed for to my home address !

I'll post more info once it arrives and it's up and running yes wink

Posted by Andy Joyce on 09/01/2021 11:43:12:

Out of interest has anyone installed the silencer itself inside the work area with an exit pipe outside with the aim to recover some more heat. Thinking that this is probably a bad idea as suspect some of the exhaust noise comes from the silencer walls rather than from the exit tail pipe. Also I assume it would increases the chance of exhaust gases leaking into the workshop. However thought it worth asking to see how others have installed the heater.

Regarding trying to recover more heat, I installed a longer exhaust pipe (from eBay) and routed the excess length inside the garage before it passing through the outside wall to the silencer. There is certainly now a good bit of extra heat radiated from the exhaust pipe. However, I noticed after a while my heater blower pushing out less heat and later, black smoke coming from the exhaust. I have now removed the heater for a de-coke and found quite a bit of soot in the burner as well as in the glow plug screen, which restricts air into the burner. All now nice and clean but unfortunately I had to order a new gasket, so a bit chilly in the garage until a replacement arrives.

I think one is supposed to turn up the heat before switching the heater off, to clear any soot but it may be the extended exhaust pipe causing the sooting up problem?

img_6278.jpg

Exhaust pipe with heater removed.

Piers, I reckon it’s the longer pipe that’s caused it to soot up. I’ve had mine running for two years now, the shed isn’t too big, 2m x 3m and I run it at slow speed otherwise it’s too hot. It hasn’t missed a beat in the time.

on the subject of silencers, my homemade stainless vacuum flask works really well and cost next to nothing

Bert

For anyone who hasn’t installed something yet may I suggest considering an infra-red heater.

They run on electricity, they don’t make any noise and depending on the type, the heat you feel is produced from instantly to within 20 minutes after you turn it on.

Infra-red heaters produce that part of the electromagnetic spectrum that you feel when you are standing in the sun regardless of the air temperature. Having the heater off is like standing in the shade on a cold day, turning it on is like moving out of the shade into the sunshine. They heat objects rather than the air so are often regarded as more efficient.

I’ve had experience with them in a warehouse, a workshop for about 40 people and a church situation. The types of applications where it doesn’t make sense to try and heat the air. I’ve also seen them used in smaller settings such as outdoor areas of cafes and restaurants.

The power rating is dependent on the square metres of surface area you want to cover rather than the volume.

They fall into three categories, longwave (or far infra-red), medium wave, and short wave (or near infra-red). Longwave is least efficient as some of the energy heats the air. Short wave is the most efficient (some energy produces light).

If you would like to know more the link below seems to be a good summary from what I know and will open a three page pdf document describing the categories, the heaters and has a diagram of the electromagnetic spectrum to show where infra-red fits in and :

** LINK **

A very cursory search of infra-red heaters in the UK brought up something like this (which are similar to the type I’ve had experience with) however I’m not recommending it by any means:

** LINK **

It’s rated for 6 sq m, which would cover a work bench and its surrounds if you are in say a garage. It can also be portable. Maybe something smaller for a shed?

Prices seem to vary a lot for a given power output however that is probably dependent on whether they are short, medium or long wave.

Stay warm!

Craig

Noticed I have already got small specs of debris in the fuel tank after an initial fill. So has anyone modified their heaters to include a fuel filter? If so was this fitted directly below the fuel tank exit as notice this outlet is very close to the exhaust so a little concerned about mounting the unit there but it would be relatively easy as there is already a joint in the pipe at this location.

Yes I notice the sediment settling out of the red diesel . It collects in the corner near the tank outlet. . I did suck some out once using a vacuum oil remover as wanted a drop of diesel to clean the vac tank out . Apart from that Ive just ignored it and still runs fine after a couple of years.

Any other long term users had any problems or fitted a filter ?

Peter Bruce started this thread some time ago so may have an update ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 14/01/2021 10:45:29

I have got mine working after a bit of refitting of components. (the outlet tube from the pump was bent at 90 degrees and so fuel was able to get through to the chamber.

What a difference, workshop ready to use in 10 minutes (very toastie.)

Very little has be said about 12v power supplies. I have a 13.2v old server power supply which will deliver 50+ amps but afraid to use it as we are prone to the odd power outage.

Is it best to use a leisure battery or an ordinary car battery.

Is it ok to connect a intelligent battery charger to the battery whilst using the heater(ie. will it keep the battery charged whilst using it.)

What I could do with is an automatic changeover for when we have a power glitch.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks