Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

Possibly as a result of the Gatwick/Heathrow problems, there's an up-date on the government's response to the drone consultation on the BMFA website here: https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2565/Government-Publishes-its-Response-to-the-Consultation-on-the-Future-of-Drones-in-the-UK.

The full response from the DfT is here: **LINK**

Posted by supertigrefan on 12/01/2019 12:17:13:
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 12/01/2019 01:10:19:

Interesting reference in that referring to the BMFA exemption "...the small unmanned aircraft shall not be a rotorcraft with more than one lift generating rotor or propellor..."

Guess that means no scale Chinooks or Ospreys.

Where does Tony Nijhuis Harrier fall into this categorising?

The same as Chinooks & Ospreys.

AFAICS the only restriction over "normal" model flying is 400 ft max altitude. I doubt that the pilots any of these or similar models would want to exceed this altitude.

Posted by kc on 12/01/2019 12:50:37:

Presumably the Boddington etc twin rotor autogyros ( really just fixed wing models with rotors on the wing tips) are affected too......or are those rotors not "lift generating" ?

IMO that definition is academic, would anyone want to fly one above 400ft ?

• 3 months later...

i shall be watching it, but only last week just as it was getting dark a drone appeared over my house in Sanderstead South Croydon and followed a route similar to a previous fly over some months ago. We do get plenty of air traffic over the house which includes planes landing at and taking off from Heathrow and Biggin Hill airports. I cannot believe how high and far the drone flew and it cannot be that the pilot could see the drone directly.

• 1 year later...

Sussex Police have settled out of court with the couple they arrested over the Gatwick Drone (or non drone) incident.

£55,000 compensation to the couple for wrongful arrest but £145,000 to their lawyers !!

**Link to BBC**

The police also said that some of the reported drone sightings may have been of their own drones so still not clear if there were ever any drones flying at Gatwick so I guess we'll never really know now.