Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

Apparently the police are leaking to the press that fingerprints, not matching fingerprints on the National Database were recovered. So a person with no criminal record. I would expect that DNA samples were submitted. They take longer. If DNA profile(s) is(are) recovered, they may or may not be on the database. But another search is possible for similar DNA profiles, giving family members of the suspect profile. Not up to date on present day time scales for this stuff, but expect weeks to get that sort of thing done.

Paul, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory. But don't ignore a bit of simple incompetence. A bit of caught with trousers down. I think there was SOME drone activity. Not as much as the semi hysteria suggests, but enough to get a lot of people on edge.

One point, did I not read about the purchase of £5million? of drone detectors, drone kill kit. Lot of shekels for an invented story.

Advert

You do not need to believe in conspiracy theories to anticipate and know how these types of stories/events run.>>

At a political level, the opposition will always demand the head of the incumbent. In general those members of the public that react, do so on a partisan basis. >>

If there is any form of enquiry, great lengths will have been done to ensure that, the person or persons selected to run the process will be safe hands, as far as the selectors are concerned. Having observed such a process from a safe distance, the hunt goes on until the innocent are sacrificed. The real culprit, due to their brilliance, some how is promoted a little later.>>

As for the Gatwick events, without a robust process for such events, I would not like to have had to make any of the decisions. Even with hind sight, what to do when, in the real world, is even now a difficult judgment call. As the baying wolves will be trying to tear you apart, as what you did will always be wrong.>>

It is hard to know if the assessment in to days paper, which purports to record the results from an electronic type surveillance at a number of UK airports, just after the beginning of the Gatwick incidents, is real, in what it claims is the situation. It could be a as much about preparing the ground for justifying further actions by a whole host of people and their interests. One thing appears to be apparent the Pilots Union would like to see all models removed from the skies on the grounds of precautionary safety.>>

Do not let any fact get in the way, that is the way of the future.>>

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2018 10:54:49

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2018 10:55:47

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2018 10:56:23

Posted by Erfolg on 29/12/2018 10:53:59:

One thing appears to be apparent the Pilots Union would like to see all models removed from the skies on the grounds of precautionary safety.

Where have the Pilots' Union made this clear? The CAA don't appear to concur. What about full size light aircraft/microlights/gliders and the risk that they pose to collision with other aircraft/buildings/people and the reams of GA airprox and accident reports that can be viewed on the CAA website?

If they're mixing up model aircraft with drones, then perhaps, they need to be put right.

I am not sure that £5 million is a lot of money in this era.>>

The airport will cover a substantial area in itself.>>

The flight path for both landing and take offs will also cover a substantial volume of air space.>>

Today’s paper makes claims with respect to the detection of drones electronically, is that a radar system. Then there are the various systems to deal with drones violating the restricted areas.>>

When you add in the salaries of the personnel to operate and manage the systems, which will include maintenance, the annual bill will be very large>>

Posted by Steve J on 29/12/2018 11:39:49:

Posted by Cuban8 on 29/12/2018 11:14:31:

Where have the Pilots' Union made this clear?

BALPA have been campaigning for increased regulation of recreational SUA for years. I find this a little ironic as aircrew have killed a lot more self loading freight in the last decade than SUA have.

Steve

...and talk about cuckoos in the nest! The RAeS (then known as the Aeronautical Society of Great Britain) welcomed manned heavier than air powered flight to their UAS activities with open arms in 1903! wink

Posted by Steve J on 29/12/2018 11:39:49:

Posted by Cuban8 on 29/12/2018 11:14:31:

Where have the Pilots' Union made this clear?

BALPA have been campaigning for increased regulation of recreational SUA for years. I find this a little ironic as aircrew have killed a lot more self loading freight in the last decade than SUA have.

Steve

Inclined to agree, but at severe risk of covering old ground, the safety record of aeromodelling is very good, so we're clearly doing something right under existing regs and have been doing so for many decades. Our hobby has remained very low profile, with a minmal effect on others and of only a passing interest to the public and to the authorities. The current hullabaloo has come about only very recently and has coincided with the appearance of mass market, consumer drones, MRs, call them what you like.

On the subject of the military grade anti drone precautions being taken at our airports - I wonder whether, on the face of it,what looks to be a good idea, will only serve to encourage those with a point to prove, to develop devices that will still be able to enter restricted airspace and satisfy their thirst for causing havoc? A bit like the battle between hackers and protection/anti virus software developers?

I'm reminded of Stanley Baldwin's worries about national security, but in a modern context "the drone will always get through".

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/12/2018 13:12:14

Cymaz your link has pretty much the same content as Steves. It is almost certain the result of a pre-written PR release. Which tells us that the news is now being carefully managed, with pre-written statements for the media.

The sentence which suggests that some of the sightings could have been the polices, is probably not admitting that many of the sightings were not the irresponsible drone. Indirectly indicates that at the time and even now that non of the airport people knew who was operating what, or where or why. I guess no log?>>

The issue of suitable sites is a strange one, IMO, in that if you can fly one in your lounge, with varying degrees of safety, why not from a patch of land not much bigger than the size of a few paving stones?>>

Those who suspect that the issue will now be subject to a bit of airbrushing to enhance some rolls, delete others, whilst the hunt for a suitable sacrifice gets into top gear.>>

What an opportunity for those who wish to regulate us all, yep, FF, fixed wing, helicopters, Chinese balloons, and yes non commercial drones.>>

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2018 14:19:49

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2018 14:20:50

Seems to be another total cock up to go with the rest, why on earth would you want to tell the world that you have these defences, better to catch the barstewards who are doing it than trying to warn them off and like you say develop a system to go around he defences

Steve>>

The Order, phrasing all suggests a press hand out. Although I am sure you are correct associated with a News Conference.>>

From what is now emerging it could well be a police training exercise that started it all.>>

There appears to be no heroes as in neun and neunzig luft balloon. No Stanilos Petrov, here, possibly just extremely poor communication.>>

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 29/12/2018 17:11:39:

So why did they not send up a chopper to either blow the thing to the ground with the rotor downwash, or better still, follow it back to base?

Possibly didn't have a chopper. And air operations were suspended. And do you fancy operating one where there is a rogue drown operating. A circular argument. Can't invent it can you.

For drown read drone.

Edited By Don Fry on 29/12/2018 19:12:10

Posted by Erfolg on 29/12/2018 18:41:57:

Steve>>

The Order, phrasing all suggests a press hand out. Although I am sure you are correct associated with a News Conference.>>

From what is now emerging it could well be a police training exercise that started it all.>>

There appears to be no heroes as in neun and neunzig luft balloon. No Stanilos Petrov, here, possibly just extremely poor communication.>>

Evidence Erf, operating a drone on a live runway legally? In fairness, plod tries to be lawful as an organisation.