Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

Posted by Martian on 24/12/2018 10:58:16:

Fake news then

Yup. Last few days were a complete waste of time... Still loads of papers sold, news spots filling a empty news rota and gives them something to talk about.

That's why I don't watch tv news, buy newspapers, it makes you wonder how much of it is actually real.

Suppose when disasters such as 9/11, air crashes and natural disasters, The Media has a field day - sad, but true.

Advert

Posted by Paul Marsh on 24/12/2018 10:23:15:

A Drone incident. It was an official drone flight and the drone operative informed the authorities.

**LINK**

That appears to be a perfectly legal drone operation.

In the US there's a protocol known as MARSA (Military Authority Assumes Responsibility for Separation of Aircraft) that allows for low flying to take place without a flight plan being submitted and the military pilots involved take responsibility for avoiding other airspace users in these circumstances. I assume that there is a similar arrangement here in which case the reported incidend is a non-story.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 24/12/2018 11:02:08:
Posted by Martian on 24/12/2018 10:58:16:

Fake news then

Yup. Last few days were a complete waste of time... Still loads of papers sold, news spots filling a empty news rota and gives them something to talk about.

That's why I don't watch tv news, buy newspapers, it makes you wonder how much of it is actually real.

Suppose when disasters such as 9/11, air crashes and natural disasters, The Media has a field day - sad, but true.

It made it a good day to bury bad news though dont know

Posted by supertigrefan on 24/12/2018 11:23:59:

It could also by seen as the wake up call that forces the authorities to introduce measures that increase the safety of passenger flights within the UK.

My worry exactly. Model fliers don’t really contribute to the national economy so we are really a useful political football that can easily be kicked into touch.

Was there a drone ?

I don't know, do you ? Someone may or may not have seen the first one or not, lots of lives at risk, people won't make the big call unless they feel certain, even then with the possible consequences of getting it wrong it's a big call.

News media are a disgrace ? yep agreed, the tinternet any better ?

Posted by supertigrefan on 24/12/2018 10:32:38:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 24/12/2018 09:52:30:

Isn't it a good thing we have the judicial process?

Isn't it just.....

Released without charge doesn't mean innocent, it means there was insufficient evidence to make a case, how many perpetrators have been released through lack of evidence? Even justice has it's failings.

You are quite right, the guilty but can't prove it are released without charge. But in this case they were released with a statement they were no longer suspects. That's a clear statement of innocence. Just bear in mind, the bloke appears to have had a caste iron alibi, which was not followed up, not even needed.

Rather surprisingly this story has turned out much better from our perspective than I could have hoped.

At worst there was a drone or drones, and the culprits have not been found.

Perhaps better for us in some respects the Salem Witch syndrome has some similarities

When it comes to the possible causes of the trials, two questions come to mind: what caused the “afflicted girls” initial symptoms and, also, what caused the witch trials to escalate the way that they did?

In our environment, quite a few groups have alleged drones, almost certainly believed to be a truly held believe. Re-enforced by some that their training and experience allows them to make 100% assessments.

The problem for the airport they would be dammed if they did nothing, and are still dammed. No doubt there will now be a robust protocol written to deal with the issues.

If a hoax, we the public are very capable of seeing witches, when it is just a fox, or other creature other than a morphed witch.

In most cases the newspapers stated that they were reporting what they had been told, by various sources.

The police said nothing much,may because they had little concrete to report.

I am hopeful that from our perspective some good comes out of this.

If it was an elaborate hoax, I would not like to be the hoaxer, when they are finally caught, as often they are, finally, if not soon.

Posted by Erfolg on 24/12/2018 13:24:33:

Rather surprisingly this story has turned out much better from our perspective than I could have hoped.

At worst there was a drone or drones, and the culprits have not been found.

Perhaps better for us in some respects the Salem Witch syndrome has some similarities

When it comes to the possible causes of the trials, two questions come to mind: what caused the “afflicted girls” initial symptoms and, also, what caused the witch trials to escalate the way that they did?

In our environment, quite a few groups have alleged drones, almost certainly believed to be a truly held believe. Re-enforced by some that their training and experience allows them to make 100% assessments.

The problem for the airport they would be dammed if they did nothing, and are still dammed. No doubt there will now be a robust protocol written to deal with the issues.

If a hoax, we the public are very capable of seeing witches, when it is just a fox, or other creature other than a morphed witch.

In most cases the newspapers stated that they were reporting what they had been told, by various sources.

The police said nothing much,may because they had little concrete to report.

I am hopeful that from our perspective some good comes out of this.

If it was an elaborate hoax, I would not like to be the hoaxer, when they are finally caught, as often they are, finally, if not soon.

Most of that went over my head. What good can come out of it?

Posted by Paul Marsh on 24/12/2018 14:32:37:

Probably was a weather balloon caught in the ether... indecision

Wonder how much this "investigation" cost the taxpayers? And who is in line to lose their job in this fiasco? It is a fiasco, it has made the Police, "Intelligence" look like a bunch of amateurs.

they weren't that good paul...………… smiley

ken anderson....ne..1..... intel dept.

Posted by Erfolg on 24/12/2018 13:54:52:

Rich, it seems like many drone sightings much has been imagined, and the public is now aware all that is claimed relative to drone activity may be a feverish imagination.

Load of dross or not, it has raised public awareness of drones. They will also be reminded that drones are a potential "problem". It has also reminded the authorities that drones are a potential "problem". And may I remind you that no group wishes to feel their collective activity has become group hysteria, no smoke without fire that will say, if only to cover collective stupidity. Anyone reading this, think back to the last time you were in the wrong, and a now answer the question, how easy was the apology.

We don't want this. Let them all worry about whatever exercises their minds, pick on pond life and their pit bull lookalikes. Leave us in the shadows.

I remember many years ago when we used to fly at disused airfields, we would often see drones hovering in the sky,

occasionally one would dive down to catch a mouse or small creature.

But I suppose they could have been Kestrels, or other birds of prey. They also seem to like flying and hovering over airfields.

Just shows that not all people see the same thing.

Is it a bird, is it a plane, is it ......

Posted by eflightray on 24/12/2018 16:29:01:

I remember many years ago when we used to fly at disused airfields, we would often see drones hovering in the sky,

But I suppose they could have been Kestrels, or other birds of prey. They also seem to like flying and hovering over airfields.

Very plausible explanation yes

It could easily have all been down to twitchy people mistaking birds of prey for drones.

They behave is a very similar manner to what has been described.

(Does that explain why birds watchers are called twitchers?)

Posted by eflightray on 24/12/2018 16:29:01:

We still do fly at a disused WW2 airfield. Kestrels are fairly common but buzzards even more so for the last few years. Sadly, the peewits are much fewer. None of them seem to be bothered about our feeble attempts to emulate them and are a delight to have sharing the airspace.

I guess to an untrained eye, especially one convinced drones are everywhere, a hovering kestrel looks much like one. The opinion up at the field today was that if out of the numbers of people who claim to have seen a drone and the numbers (like plane spotters) who had decent cameras (or even ordinary phone cameras) none of them actually photographed it, then the probability is that there wasn't one.

Geoff