Do You fly Drones? An opportunity to explain why

Geoff S

OK, I admit it, I'm a Guardian reader and have been for 40 years We still have the paper version every morning but I also read the on-line version, mostly for the comments. I've just noticed that they are asking for contributions about Drone flying enthusiasts. My drone (MR) flying is limited to indoor 'toys' but quite a fe club members build and fly rather more sophisticated versions.

Anyway, it's an opportunity to explain the hobby to a relatively ignorant public so I thought I'd draw your attention to it.

Do you fly drones? Share your experience with us.

Geoff

Advert

A) In no way can The Grauniad be compared to The Daily Fail. One is, yes, a left-leaning paper but it does have a modicum of considered thought behind what it prints. The other is a rabidly right-wing rag that hacked into a dead girls mobile phone answer service.

B) A lot of people on here have moaned that model flying, model planes, the hobby and drones in general are being misrepresented in the national press, BUT when a national newspaper offers the chance to present your side of things your first thought is to rubbish the idea and the motives behind it.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 22:47:01

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 22:50:35

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 23:07:28

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 22:46:24:

A) In no way can The Grauniad be compared to The Daily Fail. One is, yes, a left-leaning paper but it does have a modicum of considered thought behind what it prints. The other is a rabidly right-wing rag that hacked into a dead girls mobile phone answer service.

B) A lot of people on here have moaned that model flying, model planes, the hobby and drones in general are being misrepresented in the national press, BUT when a national newspaper offers the chance to present your side of things your first thought is to rubbish the idea and the motives behind it.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 22:47:01

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 22:50:35

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/01/2019 23:07:28

yes

Posted by supertigrefan on 05/01/2019 23:30:34:

This thread was doomed from the start and probably has the shelf life of a tub of non refrigerated prawns.

First mistake was to tell everyone which paper you've been buying for the last 4 decades, second was trying to justify it.

what difference will it make? it'll only reach the readership of that paper.

Edited By supertigrefan on 05/01/2019 23:32:44

Always best to play the ball and not the man. The OP alerted us to a review being conducted by a national newspaper on drones and invites comments and views by current operators and, as far as I can see, does not seek to justify his purchase of that publication. Other posts do present a partisan view of 2 papers but the approach being adopted by the Guardian seems to be a sensible way of gathering information about a topic the newspaper knows little about. I've not filled it in as I don't fly a quad copter. If you don't wish to fill it in that's fine but slagging off different newspapers as opposed to what turns up on completely unregulated areas that comprises today's social media seems an odd way to proceed.

Every single model aircraft we fly is, by definition, a "drone" so maybe we could all write in an educate them! Having said that there is a large percentage here who refer to the multirotor aircraft as a drone so I think it's a dead point anyway.

Never mind.

Come on, guys, give Geoff a break! He didn't post it to create a discussion about newspapers and political leanings, just as an opportunity for model flyers to educate at least part of the community..... smile

There's been a massive amount of discussion in the RC world about how the public don't understand us - now you have a chance to enlighten the ignorant. Don't forget, some of those who make the rules probably also read the Guardian so when they publish the results they might learn something...wink 2

Pete

Posted by Simon Webb on 06/01/2019 11:55:50:

This drone story at Gatwick was a Police cover up IMO

They had a military drone in the sky to "look for a drone"

That is NOT how you would look for a drone....you would scan the sky from the ground!

Even if you were trying to follow it back to the pilot or see if you could spot the pilot?

But the more I read the less I believe there was a drone being flown by a rogue pilot.

I find that whenever someone posts anything on this website that might just be construed as having a minute political bias, it is quickly countered by a flurry of responses that display much stronger bigotries.

There are some people like myself who read a wide range of papers every week (Times, Mirror, Mail, Express, Guardian, Sun, New Statesman, Economist, The European) to try to gauge the entire range of opinion is this country during these very confusing times. I don't subscribe to any of these newspapers. I also use various internet sources (newspapers, BBC, CNN, LBC,) many times a day. I still find that newspaper commentaries tend to go into more depth than most discussions on the internet, and the blogs are generally appalling. I am of the view that the British population is not reading nearly enough nowadays, whether from the internet or books or papers, so they are very easily fooled by the politicians. (I find TV the most redundant source of information.) Also, I think one has to be careful not to generalise too much, because the opinion of newspapers shifts and changes, rather like public opinion. For example, the Daily Mail has mellowed a lot with its recent change of editorship (and possibly with some shift in public opinion).

Time to get back to the modelling!