Laser engines in stock!

Former Member

Advert

you are a week late STF. A batch of 5 80's have been and gone, replaced by the 4 you see now and with another batch already started. The 4 180's i had a week ago have gone but more are on the way.

So, if you need an engine now they are there. if you dont need one and are only buying it for 'stock' then shoo! go 'way!!

I am building engines, they will be available, there is no need to panic buy. smile p

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 22/01/2019 23:29:39

....Perhaps it should be a condition of sale that the engine is used within 3 months of purchase...surprise

There was a motorcycle manufacturer that installed a derestriction kit once evidence of passing your test was presented at the next service..so something along those lines..

....perhaps I had better get on with my build log.....I have no excuse (engine and kit are now in the workshop + rubbish weather). wink...better get a hurrie on..

Posted by Chris Walby on 23/01/2019 07:10:39:

....Perhaps it should be a condition of sale that the engine is used within 3 months of purchase...surprise

Nice idea but if that were imposed i think i would have to give half of my engines back!

I dont mind people buying it for a model they are working on, that is fine. We just had a case a little while ago where a chap wanted to buy 2 or 3 of everything we had because they were there and he would use them one day. That wasnt really fair on everyone else. There was also a case some years ago where there were limited stocks of a certain engine. Someone bought a number of them and a few weeks later they started appearing on ebay at 5 times the original price.

• 9 months later...

Jon, Can you please help?

I am working on a recently acquired laser 75. Not well maintained sadly so I am trying to strip and clean and service it.

It will need new bearings at least.

The main problem is the socket screws are very difficult to remove as they are virtually bonded to the aluminium. I got the back plate screws out but the buried head screws are problematic. I got a 3/32 Allen key in but they won't budge and I think the hex socket may distort. How to do this? Could you tell me the screw sizes for the backplate, front case and cylinder head please so I can get replacements? Thanks Phil

Hi Phil

Find a small length of bar stock and pop it down the hole in the head so it sits on top of the bolt. A sharp whack with a small hammer will help loosen them off. Once that is done hammer the allen key into the head of the bolt to make sure its bottomed out. Then it should come free.

The screws are all 4ba but you wont be able to replace the rear head bolt as it was drilled and tapped to take the rocker cover screw so dont break it!

Jon,

Good news. Thanks for the tips. I found the cleaning the hex socket with thinners on a cocktail stick enabled me to get the key in properly. Then after a tap, it finally came unstuck. I'm glad you told me about the threaded head bolt. So now I'm ready to dislodge the bearings and clean everything.

Any tips for getting the bearings out? Also does it matter which way round the piston and con rod go on reassembly.

Thanks Phil

The piston and rod go back in the same way they came out. It should be easy as im sure you marked all the parts as you took it to bits

Press the crank out or use a puller to get the driver off. You can then press the bearings out (assuming you are able to make the required tool) or give it the blowtorch treatment as with any other engine.

As a side note, to keep the forum tidy and minimise confusion we should kick this over to the laser technical questions thread. I might ask a mod to move the last few posts over to keep things where they are supposed to be

• 1 month later...
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 26/11/2019 16:21:20:

Thank you. Do I need to order it now or ??.

I take it the parts are being made elsewhere.

Maurice

I cant take an order for something that is not in stock as i have no idea when i will be able to supply it. To put this in context, i doubt i can supply a 70 before the new year.

All components are made in house, i just have no control over it and those that do lack my sense of urgency.