Thanks for everybody’s time to reply

KELL

Over many many years of modelling, I’ve come across numerous problems, little snags and hints and tips that I just need to move my own skill level along. When confronted with these hurdles I always log on to this site, and check out the forums. There among the vast amount of threads will be the answers and advice I’m looking for. It’s great to see that in our oh so busy lives that modellers and flyers take time to add their knowledge and answer questions on this modelflying website. So this is a big thanks to everybody that does, as it keeps the spirit of this great hobby moving forward. If only we had Oscars or Golden globes for the most contribution to the modelling world, who would you choose?

Advert

yes

I don't know about golden globes. At the moment, with the current weather it is more likely to be made of brass and involve small primates ! Particularly if aeromodellers were paying for them.

We could have the Boddington awards, which could involve alcoholic refreshment as well (a double whammy).

An award specifically for ARTFs, a Wakefield award. Based on the fact that one of our most famous benefactors never actually built a model.

A Peter Miller award for plan publishing (he deserves it).

The RCM&E award for being able to survive in the hobby longer than everyone else, without going bust.

The HobbyKing award, for the club that generates the most income in the year, whilst still annoying a large proportion of its members.

The Whittaker trophy for attending the most shows, meetings, swapmeets, competitions, etc in the year.

Anybody else got some ideas ?

Edited By kevin b on 10/03/2019 19:43:17

Posted by Don Fry on 10/03/2019 19:22:54:

David Boddington. An architect by trade, when designing a building said, "but it kept looking like a model aircraft".

I think I prefer it that way round otherwise we would have been building and flying some very odd looking models.

Geoff

PS I'm surprised Boddo had time to anything else other than be deeply involved in designing models, writing books about models and publishing model magazines. I never knew he was an architect.

Well if we are talking about contributions to the forum then it is the combined talent, experience and knowledge of a whole lot of the "usual suspects' who answer any question that appears.

Probably the contribution of Ron Moulton to aeromodelling publications should be acknowledged.

And surely it is Aeromodeller that is the magazine that has survived longer than RCME etc. Aeromodeller is still published and that is possibly due to Ron Moulton's influence on those such as Tony Dowdeswell, both Boddingtons etc. that ensured it survived. Peter Holland for design and particularly clear drawings which explained everything modelling. Norman Butcher deserves mention for Radio Modeller. Vic Smeed was contributor to modelling publishing in Model Maker, Model Boats and aeromodelling. One lady who should be noted is Mimi Dowdeswell whose name appears on AMI and Model Flyer.

Posted by kc on 10/03/2019 20:18:52:

Well if we are talking about contributions to the forum then it is the combined talent, experience and knowledge of a whole lot of the "usual suspects' who answer any question that appears.

Probably the contribution of Ron Moulton to aeromodelling publications should be acknowledged.

And surely it is Aeromodeller that is the magazine that has survived longer than RCME etc. Aeromodeller is still published and that is possibly due to Ron Moulton's influence on those such as Tony Dowdeswell, both Boddingtons etc. that ensured it survived. Peter Holland for design and particularly clear drawings which explained everything modelling. Norman Butcher deserves mention for Radio Modeller. Vic Smeed was contributor to modelling publishing in Model Maker, Model Boats and aeromodelling. One lady who should be noted is Mimi Dowdeswell whose name appears on AMI and Model Flyer.

Sorry to disappoint, but Aeromodeller has not been in continuous publication as long as RCM&E, though it is the oldest (model aeroplane) magazine still being produced in this country. If it wasn't for the Boddington family I don't think it would have survived this many reincarnations.

Talking of families, it would be interesting to see the weave of family trees in the U.K. model making industry. there are quite a few that are probably into their 3rd, if not 4th generation !

Edited By kevin b on 10/03/2019 20:51:40

Edited By kevin b on 10/03/2019 20:52:35

David Boddington when I started out with RC,his books were great for ref,and also I was a fan of Derek Woodward before he went off to the club in the sky...the rest are my local mentors who freely assisted me to learn to fly...I wont mention any names as they will be put out a bit...

ken anderson...ne..1..heroes dept.

DB is a very like-able man . Yes his commentary was a bit of a Marmite thing- you either loved it or hated it , but that can be said for all of us . I found his commentary entertaining most of the time . He also contributed to the show scene by organising the Plumpton show for many years. A brilliant family show and he insisted that the ice-cream sellers had to sell cheaper ice creams for the children .

The commentators Iv'e heard of late especially here in the south are rubbish by comparison

Dave Bishop Thanks for all the years you gave to the hobby

I built two of Derek Woodwards` designs from free plans in a magazine. They both flew well and I still have one of them so yes, I was a fan. Someone else that I actually knew for a while was Ray Jones who used to write the `Slopeside` page in the BMFA mag. He was Chairman of the Clwyd Soaring Association when I was a member in the late 70`s and was a great character. Ray was a total gliding enthusiast, full of stories and was always helpful to beginners like me. I was sad to read that he had died a few years ago. Glad I once knew him.