Prostate Cancer

Martian

Posted by Keith Berriman on 25/07/2020 10:10:56:

Good morning followers of this topic and would like to advise of my situation although not as serious as some people. I had to have neck and chest CT scan on Monday for some other problems and was advised later they had gone further down the body to check prostate area. I was advised my gland was a little over sized and was able to tell them I had the digits test 5 years ago and was noted slightly enlarged then. So during various blood test taken in the week an extra sample taken for the PSA levels this has come back as level 2 and thankfully no further action required for now. All the best to other followers

Had my 3 month blood test last week Keith and the result came back as 0.35. Thought it should have been lower but a Google search suggested there is no normal PSA reading and anything below 4 was acceptable, so your reading is possibly ok. Has your consultant suggested a biopsy? Have heard several people being put on observation of the PSA reading over time but their outcome never seems good.

Trust all this COVID issue is not delaying your other treatment. I was lucky having started my treatment just as the problem emerged in the far east.

• 1 month later...

If you want more input, from someone that has been lucky to escape cancer.

I was having trouble with pain in my testicles etc for some while but the Doc always said Its nothing!!!

Eventually due to the level of pain etc I went again and was more insistant.

After an examination was send for tests. On entering the room at the hospital I wondered what the grab rail was on the wall adjacent to the bed , I quickly found out, due to the lack of anesthetic!! oHHH. I am trying to make light of the proceedure as it is nothing in the scheme of things, it is better to have a short period of inconvenience rather than what a delay could mean in the long term.Much better to get checked out if in any doubt , dont you think fella's.

I was finally relieved to be diagnosed with an enlarged Phrostrate. I live with the inconvienience that this brings but this I feel is nothing compared with what a positive result would mean. Any body with problems with the relevant areas should get checked out ASAP.

Bas

Thanks Andy, just over 2 years since my Prostatectomy, all going well.

I feel I was lucky to have both an excellent GP service and a seemingly dedicated Prostate department at the Churchill Hospital, Oxford. it was just under 10 weeks from initial GP visit to completion of Surgery for me.

I think there is an element of postcode lottery in addition to the Covid effect on getting initial diagnoses. I understand that the PSA test should be available on request without GP referral. What happens when you get your results is however dependant on your GP's interpretation and actions.

Best Wishes to all fellow sufferers.

Ian

Thanks for your post Andy

Had my results yesterday of my latest PSA test it was 5.1 which is raised from last time but consistent with normal ups and downs. it is now 18mths since my diagnosis for Prostate cancer again as have most I had a telephone consultation and expressed a need for another Biopsy or MRI because my father died from it and I know they can be tricky little beggars I guess I,ll know more in January .

good luck and health to you all

Hello Basil,

I assume that you were talking about the prostate biopsy.

I have had this done twice - once with an anaesthetic, and once without. Neither is nice, but, certainly not to be feared.

There was little difference. The worst thing about the procedure is the awful taste of the antibiotic tablet, which is really vile!

Glad to see all are obviously in the land of the living and can at least add their input to this thread. Think the issue with this cancer is that there is no national screening programme despite it being the most common cancer in men. Shame not much pressure is applied to change this position. Unfortunately by the time symptoms are noticed it is probably a little too late for many.

As a fellow prostate cancer victim I sympathise with everyone who has posted on this thread.

However there can be a funny side - at present there is a serial on Radio 4 called "Prostrate". Started at the beginning of the week and episode three is about to start right now. I and my wife have found it very funny. It ought to be possible to find the earlier episodes if anyone is interested.

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...

An update which might be of interest. Five months ago I had a blood test done and the PSA reading was 9.7. This was a little higher than the previous, but a DRE showed a smooth though enlarged gland. A further PSA test was recommended for four months time. This was done a couple of weeks ago, and the reading has dropped to 8.5. As my readings have been gradually increasing over the 20 or so years I have been having the annual test, from around 5 through 7.5 to the low 9s, this slight drop is a good thing. The next test is now scheduled for 6 months time. Apparently the thoughts are that more men die with prostate cancer the from prostate cancer, and in my case the procedure is known as "Watchful Waiting", a standard procedure when symptoms are not apparent or very mild. This link has a bit of background on it Watchful Waiting .

Bottom line - It has not been stated that I either have or do not have prostate cancer, but I am in a system which will likely pick it up if it gets bad. (I am 77 years old, in general good health and fit.)

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 06/10/2020 15:59:03

Toni, I am of similar age to you and have been diagnosed as having an enlarged prostrate.In a recent conversation with my Doctor he stated that what ever the PSA levels are you could still have cancer!!!!!.

I am very puzzled by his statement , but he says these readings are only a guide!!, not an absolute.

I am very puzzled.

Seems similar to you.

Bas

Hi Bas yes its a fact the PSA reading is a guide but also an alarm if it is rising fast. The first indicator is via a DRE

(digital rectum examination} not pleasant, if the prostate is rough to the touch during this examination it warrants further tests also male family history can be an indicator ie Dad or brother etc having prostate cancer usually an MRI is done to look for signs of abnormal growth the last step is a Biopsy via the rectum again not pleasant but not the end of the world during the biopsy a number of samples are taken up to 20 at the target site or wider if necessary. As has been pointed out even if you are diagnosed with prostate cancer it may never get worse ie spread outside of the prostate you are likely to die of something else. However, it is your body don't be fobbed off if you are concerned it can mess with your head. I am on watchful waiting and apart from the blood test time I don,t knowingly worry but my wife does. Good luck Bas

Hi Bas yes its a fact the PSA reading is a guide but also an alarm if it is rising fast. The first indicator is via a DRE

(digital rectum examination} not pleasant, if the prostate is rough to the touch during this examination it warrants further tests also male family history can be an indicator ie Dad or brother etc having prostate cancer usually an MRI is done to look for signs of abnormal growth the last step is a Biopsy via the rectum again not pleasant but not the end of the world during the biopsy a number of samples are taken up to 20 at the target site or wider if necessary. As has been pointed out even if you are diagnosed with prostate cancer it may never get worse ie spread outside of the prostate you are likely to die of something else. However, it is your body don't be fobbed off if you are concerned it can mess with your head. I am on watchful waiting and apart from the blood test time I don,t knowingly worry but my wife does. Good luck Bas

Martian, the Docs words were its not positive, whenquestioed further he says but its not negative.

Yes it can mess with the old brain matter, but I tend to err on the side of Negative , as theDRE was good, if thats the correct term.

Just pee'd off with the almost constant urge to and journeys to pee.

Bas

Posted by Toni Reynaud on 06/10/2020 15:57:44:

An update which might be of interest. Five months ago I had a blood test done and the PSA reading was 9.7. This was a little higher than the previous, but a DRE showed a smooth though enlarged gland. A further PSA test was recommended for four months time. This was done a couple of weeks ago, and the reading has dropped to 8.5. As my readings have been gradually increasing over the 20 or so years I have been having the annual test, from around 5 through 7.5 to the low 9s, this slight drop is a good thing. The next test is now scheduled for 6 months time. Apparently the thoughts are that more men die with prostate cancer the from prostate cancer, and in my case the procedure is known as "Watchful Waiting", a standard procedure when symptoms are not apparent or very mild. This link has a bit of background on it Watchful Waiting .

Bottom line - It has not been stated that I either have or do not have prostate cancer, but I am in a system which will likely pick it up if it gets bad. (I am 77 years old, in general good health and fit.)

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 06/10/2020 15:59:03

Toni, I'm so very glad you have had regular check-ups and the doctor's are monitoring you carefully. Great news too that your PSA is going down now. That's the good direction to go!

The difficult thing is that we are all individuals and unfortunately prostate cancer doesn't follow nice clear rules. I went to the doctor with "peeing problems" 2 years ago and had a blood test which showed a PSA of 9.5. I was worried, but my GP didn't believe it was cancer. (He didn't do a DRE or any other check) When I finally got to see a consultant 6 months later he was worried as my prostate was very enlarged and uneven. He sent me for an urgent biopsy. This found a very aggressive neuro-endocrine cancer affecting 80% of my prostate and that had started to spread. So a PSA of 9 can actually be "nothing to worry about" as in Toni's case or, as in my case, really very serious indeed. Without more investigation it is hard to know.

Fortunately my treatment (T.U.R.P. to relieve peeing problem, plus hormone therapy and 8 weeks radio therapy) has been very successful so far and one year later my PSA is now negligible - down to 0.06. So what others can take from this is that is vital to keep vigilant. Don't put off going to the GP if you have any concerns at all about your prostate and don't put off any regular follow-up checks if they have been advised. It is quite likely you won't have a problem, but I did and I am glad I got diagnosed just in time to get effective treatment. I am now back to normal life again thank goodness.

Take care everyone in these strange times, but don't put off going to see the doctor if you have any concerns.

Posted by Basil on 06/10/2020 17:22:16:

Martian, the Docs words were its not positive, whenquestioed further he says but its not negative.

Yes it can mess with the old brain matter, but I tend to err on the side of Negative , as theDRE was good, if thats the correct term.

Just pee'd off with the almost constant urge to and journeys to pee.

Bas

Bas , might be worth talking to your doctor about whether a T.U.R.P. (Transurethral Resection of the Prostate) procedure might be appropriate in your case. I was offered this and it made a huge positive difference. 3 days after the op all peeing problems were gone! Obviously everyone's situation is different though, so it might not be suitable for everyone. Might be worth asking about though?

All the best

David

Hi Martian

For me the TURP procedure has been very positive. I've had no leakage issues or other negative impacts from the op. The op was not painful (general anisthetic) but the 2 days afterwards attached to a cathetar were not all that much fun, Actually the removal of the catheter was the worst part. After that though it was fine. Had some blood in the urine for a while (about 2 weeks IIRC) but it soon cleared. No getting up in the night any more and just about back to normal "peeing"

It may not be the same for everyone of course. I can only speak for my experience.

Edited By David Ovenden on 07/10/2020 21:16:42

David, spoke to my Doctor about 2 weeks ago. He suggested a number of options, some already tried and dont work/bad side effects. He has suggested what I call a 'Rebore', sounds like a TURP. I have been refered to my local Hospital, have recieved a reply saying that they are not taking bookings , but if I dont hear from them within a set period I can complain, reference to the reccomendations an waiting times etc.

So when ever looks like my best bet, otherwise live is severly restricted around peeing. Furtunately the patch is only 15 mins away and have somewere to pee. So can do some training flights< as I am a beginner.

Looking forward to getting it done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bas