New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a bottle of canopy glue in my stock and whilst I have found that it works well in some situations it can also be a bit messy, especially where the canopy isn't very rigid and/or where the fuselage has compound curves (like the gnat). Could be that I am just ham-fisted of course!

Just a few minutes ago I was looking at a piece of depron and wondering if I could use it to make a base for the canopy which would stiffen the whole thing up. Then again I am probably over-thinking and over-complicating.

I tried some so called canopy glue once on a Spit. Despite leaving for a long time to set, when I tried to wipe off the excess with a damp cloth the canopy fell off. Cannot remember the make. Another way is to use foam safe ca which will not cause it to bloom but is even more messy to use.

I would not bother with the Depron, the thing goes on quite well if trimmed correctly (I find cutting them daunting despite using curved nail scissors).

Mine now has the hand launch piece underneath which I was trying to get away with from fitting but just putting the model on the bench broke an aileron at a hinge so the horns have also been shortened and the throws reset.

Hoping that Bojo will set us free to fly again tonight.

Oh dear, looks like I have started something which has ignited some members....

I must admit I only fly models with motors, not engines. Neither I.C. nor steam. And, with the risk of inflaming some, neather would any full size aircraft designer/builder have done if they would have had the option of vibration free, low maintenace and very reliable electric propulsion that we model aircraft operators have.

But back to the connectors. Low vibration makes a difference for the solution choosen. And a 600 gr. electric model is likely to have a different optimal solution compared to a 15 kg scale model with a 100 cc 2 cycle petrol engine.

Glued the canopy tonight. Now it is only covering left. 550 gr. including battery at this stage. I think she will be on or below the target weight of 620gr.

Lucas

A little late to the party but I've been building my Gnat on and off over the last couple of months in conjunction with following this thread and picking up some hints and tips.

img_0246.jpeg

I'll be finishing this in the yellow colour scheme, the only difficulty will be in sourcing the graphics. I've fitted magnets to the battery hatch and will shortly be cutting out the fan access hatch to allow me to connect the esc before tack gluing back in place. Looks like I'll be on target with the weight and hope she flies ok on my Zippy 25C 2200 pack.

I'm mostly only flying gliders so I'm expecting this to be an interesting experience!

I did some testing with different batteries and found big differences between them. My 6 year old 25C Turnigy batteries delivered about 450 gr thrust. A new 45C Gensace 2300 mAh battery delivered 630 gr without battery hatch and 580 with the battery hatch closed.

Check yours on the scale. I put the plane nose down on the scale, hold it lightly and open the throttle. If you spin up the first time and have your face over the exhaust you get a lot of balsa dust in your face (do not ask how I know....)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my Folland Gnat. Took me rather longer to build than I expected but, on the other hand, I haven't had much else to do over the last few weeks!

Applying the covering was a bit of a fiddle but it doesn't look too bad as long as you don't look closely!

img_3383.jpg

img_3389.jpg

Scottish lockdown rules have just been relaxed so I hope to start flying again tomorrow but I shall give my rusty thumbs some exercise on my trusty Wot4 before trying to maiden the Gnat.

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 28/05/2020 17:18:27

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 28/05/2020 17:45:49

I completed my Gnat just before the lockdown so have been waiting since then for the maiden flight. I am happy to report that the wait is now over and a successful maiden took place today. smiley

No problems encountered and great fun to fly. I spent a bit of time playing with rates during the flight and have now arrived at a setup which suits me. Loops and rolls were fine and the stall was just a gentle dip of the nose at a very slow speed.

No flying pics I am afraid, but a few interesting statistics based on the telemetry data log (SM UniSens on board). Power at launch was 630 watts (a 4s setup in use), but most of the flight was ar 250 watts or lower (see log extract below). The 5 minute flight used only 1200 mAh from the 2200 Lipo, so 7 or 8 minute flights should be no problem.

It has a real vertical performance, and one 138m climb in less than 10 secs showed a climb rate of 14.5 m/sec - not bad for such a little model.

I am very happy.

Dick

ps. I forgot to say how amazingly quiet it was in flight - something all the onlookers commented on!

gnat maiden.jpg2020-05-28 maiden flight w.jpg

Edited By Dickw on 28/05/2020 23:25:13

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 29/05/2020 07:08:03:

Congratulations Dick!

May I ask you what settings you ended up with (mm up/down and expo)?

Lucas

Hi Lucas

I didn't use any expo at this stage as I wanted to just sort out some basic control throws.

I have just measured the final results and now have +/- 8mm on elevator. The ailerons have 2 rates with +/- 3mm giving a decent roll rate for normal flying and +/- 4mm giving very rapid rolls fort a bit of added fun.

I think my next step would be to have the ailerons permanently at +/- 4mm with some added expo. On my Tx 30% expo looks about right according to the displayed function curves, but that would probably depend on the Tx brand.

Dick

Did you hand launch these yourself or get assistance and did they need much of a shove? The reason I ask is that as a mode 1 flyer I would probably only have elevator available at launch and at the moment others are not allowed to touch fellow flyer`s models.

I have the Gnat, Provost and Hunter waiting.

I am working on the Provost (which I am converting to a CF-114 Tutor, longer nose and T tail) but have been flying my F86 Sabre a bit and quite enjoying it. I hand launch it myself but I am setup as Mode 2 on my transmitter so once I bump the left stick to full throttle on my chest my right hand can control pitch and roll while I give it a healthy throw with my left.

Martin

I am mode 1 too.. right hand launch not an issue if kept flat and level. The normal initial dip can be controlled with elevator on left stick

Of the 3 the provost is the worst to get away and definitely needs a good shove. The gnat is the easiest and the hunter close to the gnat

steve

Thanks for that, I am not surprised that the chunky Provost is the most difficult. I would like to try the Gnat and my enlarged Hunter first.

Running out of excuses to maiden the Concorde and have booked a flying slot for Sun. when the wind forecast so far is 10-17 mph and straight down the patch. I think that this model is actually on another thread.