New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Barry,

I’m just guessing here but the extra thrust of the 4S version can only come from increased airflow relative to the 3S , either bigger flow area or higher velocity. In the static case where the airflow starts from rest it probably needs even more intake area to achieve the spec thrust. Why does it not even match the 3S thrust for the same size? Anybody’s guess but the fan aerodynamics are probably quite different and possibly operating with heavy losses at non design flows. Not sure there is room to get a bigger intake in the model so unless you can achieve flying speed and get a higher entry speed the 4S could be a noose round it’s neck. If you can get it flying by loosing weight of course you might end up with a rocket!

Incidentally I did check my current values with a different sensor and my 3S fan is definitely pulling 42A with a newly charged battery which is what my tests were done with.

And as noted at the start of this para I am just guessing as to why your thrust values are so low. Very happy if you find a simpler solution like a defective motor.

Tim

Advert

Oh and a belated thanks to Dave Chatterton for his idea of joining the gnat wings in situ. Had the anhedral and brace set up on the bench and as the brace was a tight fit I tried manoeuvring the wings into position in one piece. Possible but I felt in danger of breaking the thin parts of the fuselage side so adopted for Daves approach of pushing each side in separately. Rather than epoxy and since I pretty much used cyano exclusively to build this model, wicking thin cyano into the root join and around the brace provided a pretty instant and easy assembly.

Again thanks fo4 suggesting the alternative.

Thanks and Merry Xmas

Not ventured as far as vac forming yet except of course when I move the hot air gun too close to a fitted canopy.😪

Anyway RAE Gnat now finished in full livery. Final weight 22.78 oz or 646g , so pretty pleased with that. C.G. I found a little difficult to pin exactly but it’s as close to the plan as I can manage, so battery position duly marked with big black pen.

I will take a trip down to our flying field this week and see if the water level is yet below ground. It is low lying so I am not holding my breath.
7021e058-fbb4-4472-be1a-55055cd17056.jpeg
734da7d0-6f6b-468a-b12d-7936dfa385ca.jpeg
3ce5e1ee-9a1e-42b5-9365-6c4d124d8d40.jpeg

All the best for the New Year

Tim

That looks very nice, looking forward to hearing how it flys. I received my new 4S FMS fan so did some basic testing on a quickly put together frame, the claim is 850g thrust, I added a thrust tube to the rig, the same as the gnat design, output diameter is ~40mm and measured 720g thrust, interestingly if I removed the thrust tube or opened it up on the rig to 50mm then the thrust went up to 780g. I now need to remove the fan from the plane, which could be interesting and see what that shows on the rig and swap them out. Still need to see how to get the weight down.

as a matter of interest where is the battery placement in yours to balance it, with my 4S setup the battery is pretty much as far back as it will go without further modification.

Thanks for the nice words Dave, I’m a cheapskate when it comes to decals. I print what I want , roundels letters/ numbers onto A4 vinyl from eBay. Then just cut them out with a scalpel. Unless it is white lettering I tend to print on clear vinyl but some stuff is better done on white. White lettering is a challenge because you have to print an outline and cut out individual letters. Perhaps I’ll splash out on a proper vinyl cutter one day!.

Tim

Yours look pretty smart as well Steve. You must be blessed with better weather than me. Checked the field last Thursday and it is still almost liquid. If we had a week without rain it would help! Clearly I have not flown my gnat yet but I have set it up with the recommended control throws. Is that what you are using?

Tim

Tim

not sure on exact throw measurements. I just set throws with 30% expo then rates at 100%, 75 and 50 then maiden on 75 so I can go up and down as required.

with cog as plan then for me elevator was spot on but roll still a bit quick so I reduced.

the model is quick and slippery so down not need high power compared to the provost but as small soon gets away to don’t go too far. In turns just watch the bank angle as a couple of time I have rolled too much and it tucked under.

its a fantastic model to fly , soo smooth and quiet and cruises on half power on 3s set up

enjoy !!

steve

@Steve Adams,

Steve, I don’t have the Provost plan yet and my magazine plan of the gnat is all cut up as I used it for cutting templates . Pity you missed the copies in the mag. Unless you are an avid canopy blower treat yourself to canopy and plan from Tony and you will save £3 on the deal.

Sorry my curled up bits are not much use anymore.

Tim