New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

These are the lightening holes I made. The fuselage is still very strong and can't be flexed at all. Other changes were reducing the length of the esc wires, removing the aileron y-lead and plugging the servos straight into two seperate channels in the receiver, removing some blobs of hot glue that were holding wires, and removing the top hatch spring catch and fixing the hatch in place.

Steve3bac01dd-cc2e-4df9-a4f2-f5ac1d13cb0e.jpeg

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 11/12/2019 18:43:21

Hi Ray,

your JP is coming along nicely.

yes my battery is right up the front and also the 1.3 oz lead as far forward as I can get it. Before I lightened it it had an extra ounce of lead in the front, so I've taken that out as well as everything else I changed.

other flyers have reported the same tail heaviness and needed lead, or a bigger heavier battery (2700 ish).
If I was to build another I would add more lightening holes than I did on this one. I had already finished it all so didn't want to have to re-do all the stickers again.

Lightening holes are ok as long as the structure is still strong. I always do round holes or at least square holes with rounded corners. Just remember that every gram too heavy at the back usually needs double at the front to counteract it. I've grabbed the fuselage and tried to twist and bend it and its rock solid still. If you decide to try it just don't overdo it.

Steve

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 11/12/2019 21:20:36

Have just done some thrust tests on the JP.

I have enlarged the cheat hole a little bit by 10mm in width and 15mm in length.

the thrust with a fully charged battery was 530g, so I'm quite pleased with that. I did do jt with the top cover off and the result was about the same, so I wont bother making any extra holes in the top.

Steve

I fitted the FMS 4S fan into my gnat, very disappointed with it currently, using a 4S 2200 battery. The fan claims a 960g thrust but my basic testing in the gnat is only showing 500g thrust, drawing 30A current. I tried to maiden it but it just headed to the ground and I couldn’t get it to fly at all, total weight including the 4S battery is 26oz, how have others done with the gnat, I wondered about swapping to the 3S fan but I’d only save 2oz in weight and not sure if this would help at all. This is my first edf build so wasn’t too sure if I’d built too heavy or not or where to start looking to get it flying.

ec7b0161-fbb5-47ab-831d-fd50b15c1030.jpegBarry ,

Thats disappointing. Some others have had issues with the Provost being overweight but not the gnat. Tony’s original was 24 oz . Certainly at theses weights we can not afford to go over by much but it sounds more like you have an airflow problem more than anything else. If you read back in the threads an enlarged cheat air intake worked miracles for a sluggish Provost.

My gnat only has the 3S setup and although I squandered 0.25oz on cockpit furniture today it is still only 20.5 oz ( including everything except covering ).
bfcc698b-cd90-4f76-a527-d211b3799fca.jpeg

ff4d6f58-4951-4dbf-8fc8-035a77204030.jpeg

Thanks Tim,

without the access hatch I get about another 60g of thrust but I’m not convinced that’s going to be enough but I will add more access holes, not too sure how to shave 6oz off it though to get to your weight, I could lose 2 oz moving to a 3S setup but sacrificing thrust. I tried to see if I could upload a photo from my iPad but not too sure how to do that, do I have to create an album first then share from that ?

See you sorted the photo album out.

So thats an extra 10 % thrust based on the 3s fan but still sounds well down on the 4s spec.
Grasping at straws are you sure you have the throttle calibrated for the ESC so that you achieve full throttle.

Only way to shed weight at this stage is to cut lightening holes as is shown for the Provost a few pages earlier.

What did you cover it with ?

Tim

Yes, I calibrated the throttle and measured 36A / 500W at full throttle. I painted the plane after giving it a coat of eze-kote, grey primer rubbed quite well down after applying and 3 tins of humbrol enamel thinned out for spraying. Must admit I am thinking that the paint has added more weight than covering. I’ll put some extra vent holes in it and when / if the weather improves I’ll give it another go, would like to sort this out as I’ll be getting the Phantom kit for Christmas.

As a matter of interest what is the best way to measure the static thrust, I basically hung it from a set of luggage scales and powered her up

Barry,

lovely looking model you've made there, I've just started building mine.

I measured the thrust on my Provost using a digital hanging scales. I suspend the plane from the tail using a string loop around the tail and zero the scales. Then just open up the throttle and see what you get. I got 530g thrust on the Provost with a freshly charged battery that had been kept warm in my pocket for a while, otherwise the lipo's don't perform very well this time of the year when they are cold. That 530g is on a 3s fan using an Overlander 3s 2200 battery. After a while the thrust dropped down gradually to around 515g. I would have thought that your 4s fan should perform better than that.

You say that you would only save a couple of ounces by swapping to 3s, but on an aircraft that should weigh around 20-22 oz that is 10% of the weight, so it will make a difference. On a 40 size IC plane a couple of ounces wouldn't even show a difference, but on models like this weight is the enemy.

Steve

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 21/12/2019 21:13:02

Just an idea......

As air intake seems to be a limiting factor, maybe if you use a 4S set up you need to open the cheat hole area a 'corresponding amount' to get the extra air throughput?

This could affect some of the model types but not others of course, depending on how the air is balanced of cheat versus intakes.

In reality axial fans (which effectively EDFs are), move air and generate relatively little pressure, so much so that they soon stall when restricted on the inlet or outlet. On the other hand centrifical fans (not practical for EDF) generate a more significant pressure, increasing right up to the point where the outlet is blocked completely.

Another idea is to check the timing of the esc, as I read that this affects the performance of the motor. My esc was from another plane which had an outrunner swinging a prop. In that plane I had the esc set to low timing. In the Provost I have set it to medium timing due to the high rpm required.

Steve

I've been doing some testing with my Provost whilst it's raining. (note i've only had 2 successful launches out of 8 attempts).

Total weight including 2650 3 cell battery and 140g lead weight in nose is 836g (29.5oz).

Thrust is 404g with standard cutouts in bottom of fuselage and side ducts.

Thrust is 514g with top hatch removed.

I'm going to carry out the following steps:

1/ remove weight from rear of plane, and remove some of the ballast weight

2/ enlarge the hole in bottom of fuselage

3/ try flying it without top hatch

In light of the queries regarding thrust values I offer my own results for the Gnat using a 50mm FMS fans and 2200 Lipo.

Test set up is crude but seems repeatable +/- 20g and is shown below

fan_test - 1.jpeg

As you can see the model is uncovered and I asked the pilots to step out for the tests on H&S grounds.

Next the results

fms fan data.jpg

What I conclude from this is

1. Although removing the hatch increases the airflow/thrust it is not as effective as providing a clean unobstructed intake right in front of the fan. Hence relatively smaller increases in 'cheat' intake size are very worthwhile.

2. In these static tests the original 'cheat ' intake size is perhaps too small as it does not deliver max thrust. I say perhaps because once in flight with a forced airflow it probably does achieve full thrust. However with folks having trouble achieving flying speed ( ignoring the issues of being above design weight) from a hand launch perhaps max static thrust is a good design point.

3. I achieved 600g thrust with a 60% increase in 'cheat' intake size ( 48mmx48mm). This is pretty close to the spec value of 620g so I will leave it at the new size.

4. My current values of 42A are in excess of the 32A in the spec. Not sure why but are within the ESC spec so I am still happy. I was actually using the Neuron S ESC for these measurements and have not cross checked the values on a another sensor yet but I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the values.

Tim

The Provost needs a good launch to get airborne, so what I have done is to glue a small piece of coarse sandpaper each side of the underneath just where my fingers grip it. This gives a good grip, and the sandpaper can be painted a matching colour if required. I hold it as shown with one finger just inside the cheat hole to give good leverage when I throw it. I get a really good chuck doing it like this.

7c11b005-7101-4076-8053-0ee46b8aa140.jpeg
43a6a248-58e9-4a09-be27-2eae3fc083f8.jpeg

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 23/12/2019 10:44:06

Following on from Tim’s post, I enlarged the breather hole to ~48x48mm and this has increased thrust slightly to about 520g with the battery hatch closed so a good mod to make, opening the battery hatch isn’t having any major effect, maybe adding ~5-10g extra thrust, I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something wrong with the fan unit so I’ve ordered another one up for trying out, in the meantime I’ll look at how to reduce the weight, I’ll start with a 4S 1800 as that will take 30g off and then investigate making lightening holes