CAA registration consulation

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/05/2019 21:30:11:

I have no problem in having to sit the stupid test I more object to the erroneous message it sends out that once passed you are safe to fly.

That's one thing that concerned me too from the CAA man on the video. More than once he implied that simply by being registered, and passing an online test, we would then have a piece of paper we could wave under the nose of anybody to "prove" that we were qualified and competent to fly.

No, that's a word that would probably get me barred from here, so I'll just say 'rubbish'.

Otherwise why do learner car drivers have to do their theory test at an examination centre under controlled conditions? And why do they then have to follow it up with a practical driving test? Why do they not just get their driving licence by doing (over and over again, helped by friends if need be) an online test? Obviously we all know why, but the government don't seem to...

And it does seem more clear who the real beneficiaries of this scheme will be, the future big company commercial operators who will happily pay their £16.50 (or £100, or whatever it's gone up to by then due to the lower number than expected registering) for their entire fleet of drones.

Advert

Hi All,

As model aeroplane enthusiasts, we all know we will pay the money do the test so we can carry on flying, because that's not we do, did however anybody notice the Menkind shops on most high streets stacking rc flying devices high and selling them cheap, we are an easier identifiable group to target 😕 this is a box ticking exercise.

Regards Ray

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/05/2019 14:24:57:

So it's not just a database which EASA requires it needs to fit in with the future plans for autonomous drones (Amazon and Google) the so called Unified traffic management system where we see everything operating in the air and we know who is operating it.

Well that right there means we will be required to have transponders that identify us in all of our aircraft.

It seems to me that we are paying for the set up of this whole commercial operation and what of course really sticks in the throat is that Amazon and Googles "chief financial officer" will only pay £16.50 despite owning potentially thousands of drones!

Great so we can expect to see their tax bill double !

I've had a reply from my MP who personally believes that drones can be dangerous and as such anyone who owns or operates them should have to be registered. Quoting government policy? He does go on to recognise the benefits that drones have made to photography, filming etc and then puts a link in his email to the CAA consultation.

I didn't expect anything else to be honest but at least he bothered to reply I suppose.

We are a bit more fortunate with our MP. With the consultation last year he not only responded but also took time to visit us at the field to discuss our concerns.

When I contacted him this time I made the point that the answer he got for us last time from DfT was obviously just a template reply to everyone, and this is his response this time...

Thanks for alerting me to this and highlighting the problems within it. I am happy to write to the CAA and the Minister again on this issue. Are you also intending to submit comments directly into the consultation?

We will get letters out this week and let you know as soon as we have a response – hopefully a specific one this time!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 11/05/2019 11:19:00

Posted by Steve J on 11/05/2019 11:01:33:
Posted by julian on 11/05/2019 10:27:58:

I've had a reply from my MP who personally believes that drones can be dangerous and as such anyone who owns or operates them should have to be registered. Quoting government policy?

Which party? I would be surprised if the the DfT have not circulated a standard response to Conservative MPs and Labour have been pushing for registration for years.

Steve

He's a member of the current government so I'd have thought also that it's a standard response.

Posted by Doc Marten on 11/05/2019 09:27:56:
Posted by conrad taggart on 11/05/2019 08:50:13:

Great so we can expect to see their tax bill double !

Don't really see what the Amazon and Google tax bill has to do with us and CAA registration....

A joke ! Just the wrong people, this time modelers -, paying taxes that should and could be paid by others !

Posted by Martin Harris on 11/05/2019 01:12:50:

Will big company commercial fleet operators come under these arrangements? I thought there was a separate (and existing) scheme for commercial operators.

From what was said on the video posted yesterday, interviewing the man from the CAA, at around 8 minutes into it they talk about commercial operators and it seems from the answer that they are being asked ot register again on the new scheme even though they are already registered with the CAA. Something about European use and "future-proofing" seemed to be some of the reasons given for that...

It would seem the DfT/CAA had minds made up from the outset what they wanted to do and consulting with the established model flying organisations was not on the list, in spite of statements to the contrary. Registration was always going to happen once agreed within EASA. The issue is not registration, but how the registration process is managed, who pays for it, the age restrictions, and the requirement to pass a meaningless competency test. In my view it is also about a missed opportunity to actually improve the safety of model flying above its already very high level (as acknowledged by the BMFA). As they stand the proposals will have the opposite effect in my view.

If you have not already done so please check the BMFA call to action document. It contains all the information you need to make a considered response to the proposals, rather than just respond to the CAA 'consultation' document, which is designed to curtail discussion about the proposals apart from cost and who pays. It does look as if the responses so far have had some effect but there is still time for more to respond to Richard Moriarty CAA CEO, Baroness Vere Aviation Minister, Chris Grayling Minister for Transport (good luck with that one though!) and your MP.

Julian

IMO if there is not a revised sign-up as an 'operator' using the BMFA members list with a considerable reduction in fee before 1/11/2019 then the only thing that will get 'their' attention is a mass non registration and non payment of the £16.50. The funds would then have to come from general taxation or commercial interests or both. As I've previously stated I don't fly over the winter so I'm not even going to consider it until 1/4/2020 at the earliest.

Face it, they only want us initially for our money to set up the scheme. After that the fee can/probably will go up very significantly which will all but eliminate the hobby flyer/operator leaving the commercial entities to easily pay the fee of £100, £500, £1,000 or more per year.

I posted a similar question on BARCS forum...

What would happen if we just ignored this, refused to pay, all of us, whats the worst that could happen ?

I for one am ignoring it, I fly alone on farm land far from anyone or up on a fellside, I'm a member of the BMFA purely for the insurance and as far as I'm concerned that's enough.

How will they collect the money ? unless I volunteer my details online they don't even know I exist..and after seeing what happened to that poor chap at Christmas over the gatwick fiasco when the police and media crucified him,why would anyone give up their details to a database and pay them £16.50 for the privilege, it's the most stupid thing I've heard in a long time...

I wont be breaking any rules, I don't fly over the winter. Anyhow, if your just an 'order follower' you wont appreciate that some times you(your moral conscience) have to stand up and be counted one way or another. Bad laws have to be opposed, as the old saying goes " It only takes good men to do nothing for evil (bad laws) to triumph" - remember the 'Pole Tax'.

Posted by GONZO on 12/05/2019 18:17:12:

I wont be breaking any rules, I don't fly over the winter. Anyhow, if your just an 'order follower' you wont appreciate that some times you(your moral conscience) have to stand up and be counted one way or another. Bad laws have to be opposed, as the old saying goes " It only takes good men to do nothing for evil (bad laws) to triumph" - remember the 'Pole Tax'.

If I do don my yellow vest, it'll be over something more worthwhile than this, maybe something like seeing disabled denied benefits by the powers that be, because they're easy targets. My conscience is fine thank you, how's your memory ? Read your post.

Been thousands of posts for years on this topic Gonzo, many shouting for sanctions against "Drone" flyers and testing for them, leaflets in the box to educate them, even those who're law abiding have had flak, clubs refusing them entry, they've been stomped on when posting on here, we get what's advocated for others, and we're grumbling ? I'll support BMFAs efforts then get on with flying.

Or we could all go live in France, I hear they got a better deal.

Edited By john stones 1 on 12/05/2019 19:12:47