CAA registration consulation

Advert

In the UK it has always been the case that ignorance of the law is no defence in a court of law. Also, with the driving test there is one theory test - for life. I took one written Air Law exam for my professional pilots licence over thirty years ago and have not been required to be retested, despite frequent revisions to the rules. So WHY will it be necessary to retest people flying drones and model aeroplanes every three years!!

sent off my views to the CAA lads,hope it does some good,but i'm resigned to the fact that its going to be their way or no way.shame as I've been flying models all my life with respect for others around me,R/C for the last 30 years,and thanks to some idiots i'm now deemed a risk to all and sundry....will the on-line exam,registration and the rest of it make any difference to them? i doubt it ...to us who obey and do what we do within the operating framework its going to be a pain at least-but one we must endure to carry on with our hobby.

as an aside,i read yesterday that someone(52 year old)had been arrested in Scotland for flying his "Drone" near a nuclear sub at Faslane…..silly man-I hear you think?.....or part of the times we now live in?.....(the norm)

ken anderson...ne..1...pain dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 09/05/2019 09:43:00:

as an aside,i read yesterday that someone(52 year old)had been arrested in Scotland for flying his "Drone" near a nuclear sub at Faslane…..silly man-I hear you think?.....or part of the times we now live in?.....(the norm)

So with all that's going on a plonker flew a drone over a sensetive area !!!!! angry 2We don't stand a chance ! Some mother's do have emailed.

Posted by ken anderson. on 09/05/2019 09:43:00:

It's a sad fact of life that the more the regulation to cover off the 'idiots', the bigger the idiocy becomes!sad

Kim

"The people who are making up the rules don't want model aeroplanes to be players in their game. ."

The commercial horn tooters, won't particularly care if we can be registered, regulated and only play in well defined areas (unless we are messing about with tiddly size foam things which can't hurt a big crop spraying drone or an airbourne bus, thus nobody cares about).

It's not the end of the world for us, its a pain in the arse, its being done badly, we're being charged too much for f all, but at the end of the day some sort of system is happening and we will have to play along. As pointed out it has already happened in various countries and life continued. Personally I have no other option than to do what the BMFA suggest, and wish the BMFA the best in any negotiations.

Or we can throw our toys out the pram, as some already sadly seem to be doing.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 09/05/2019 20:35:28

I completed the CAA on line consultation, then last week emailed the DfT, the CAA, and my MP.

I received the standard acknowledgement from the DfT, but nothing so far from the CAA or my MP. I have just emailed both the CAA and my MP again asking for at least the courtesy of an "acknowledgement of receipt", and will continue doing so unti they respond or the BMFA says "stop"!

Dick

Posted by Doc Marten on 09/05/2019 16:11:58:
Posted by Steve J on 09/05/2019 16:00:01:

You make a strong argument for the government's registration and testing scheme. I'm almost convinced.

Steve

I was thinking exactly the same after reading that tale, I think some things are best left unsaid in situations like this.

But would the registration scheme have prevented this guy from doing what he did? If not then what is the point of the scheme?

But would the registration scheme have prevented this guy from doing what he did? If not then what is the point of the scheme?

Actually I think it would make it worse, someone with that much arrogance would then be saying "I've registered and PASSED the required exam so I'm LEGALLY allowed to fly it, the CAA said so and they gave me a license."

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 09/05/2019 16:25:57:

Actually I think it would make it worse, someone with that much arrogance would then be saying "I've registered and PASSED the required exam so I'm LEGALLY allowed to fly it, the CAA said so and they gave me a license."

Good point.

Posted by Doc Marten on 09/05/2019 18:05:54:
Posted by Michael Barclay on 09/05/2019 16:18:47:
Posted by Doc Marten on 09/05/2019 16:11:58:
Posted by Steve J on 09/05/2019 16:00:01:

You make a strong argument for the government's registration and testing scheme. I'm almost convinced.

Steve

I was thinking exactly the same after reading that tale, I think some things are best left unsaid in situations like this.

No it wouldn't, nothing would with his attitude and the type of cash at his disposal but the tale just adds more weight to the introduction of registration to the greater audience.

I don't actually have a problem with being on a register, I don't mind taking a competency test, I don't even mind paying a small fee for it all, I do object to £16.50 every year as a start though.

Edited By Doc Marten on 09/05/2019 18:09:21

Agree re £16.50 !

Even if implemented as planned and the numbers are correct it represents very poor value for money compared to the car , private pilots and gun licences on a per yearly basis - the driving licence cost £30 - less than £3 per year (assuming a lifespan of 10 years - they generally last a lot longer ); a gun licence costs £15.80 per annum for the first 5 years, thereafter £10 per annum (note this involves criminal record checks and actual police visits) ; a private pilot’s licence costs £161 and lasts a lifetime- which would equate to 10 years’ worth of the CAA’s proposed model flyers fee / tax with no subsequent annual increases. This assumes the forecast numbers are reached so the proposed costs are spread to arrive at the £16.50 fee- which is very unlikely, plus annual increases are already being planned, openly discussed by the CAA, so it could easily result in modellers paying a 1/5th (£30+) per year of what private licence pilots currently pay for their lifetime licence! Even gun owners are not subject to on-line tests like that proposed for model flyers - yet they pose far more danger to the public than model flyers!

Devil's advocate mode on - you can't equate the proposed fee to ANY type of licence. Registering as a pilot is free, only the owner get's charged which equates to registering and taxing a motor vehicle, not to havinh a driving etc. licence.

Still a ferferferflippin lot of money for no return though.