Local club attendance

Posted by Cuban8 on 02/07/2019 11:07:47:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 10:43:50:

put peg on 2.4GHz section of board etc...................

Presumably, you have a flight peg system to limit the number of models airborne at one time?

Nope, the keyholder/safety officer/whichever commitee member happens to be there has judgement over that.

Advert

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 13:22:18:

Presumably, you have a flight peg system to limit the number of models airborne at one time?

Nope, the keyholder/safety officer/whichever commitee member happens to be there has judgement over that.

The heat's obviously got to me over the weekend.................so why do you need (or it's insisted that you have) a peg for 2.4?

Posted by Cuban8 on 02/07/2019 16:13:57:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 13:22:18:

The heat's obviously got to me over the weekend.................so why do you need (or it's insisted that you have) a peg for 2.4?

You don't need it, you have to do it. It's in the rules! This club LOVES a procedure.

So the answer is ...........there is no reason for a peg system to be in operation, but someone just likes the power to inflict their ideas on others. Should also fly a black 2.4 flag if memory serves.

Probably turns up to the field in a flying suit covered in sew-on patches saying 'model pilot', instructor, examiner, safety officer and the obligatory hi-viz. Topped off with a peaked cap, more than likely..

Winds me up.angry

laugh

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:25:04:

We're fortunate in that we normally get at least 50% attendance at most flying sessions. Mind you, there are just four of us in our group. We aren't registered as a club anywhere, and just one of us is a BMFA member. The remainder are with alternative Associations. We all stump up 25% of the field rent cost and share the mowing. No flying suits, no hi viz vests, no hassle. It works well.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:26:15

Hi Percy.

If you are not registered as a club, how did you get permission to fly from the local council ? I have a legitimate reason for asking as I have access to several fields.

Kevin b

Posted by kevin b on 02/07/2019 18:49:57:
Posted by Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:25:04:

We're fortunate in that we normally get at least 50% attendance at most flying sessions. Mind you, there are just four of us in our group. We aren't registered as a club anywhere, and just one of us is a BMFA member. The remainder are with alternative Associations. We all stump up 25% of the field rent cost and share the mowing. No flying suits, no hi viz vests, no hassle. It works well.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:26:15

Hi Percy.

If you are not registered as a club, how did you get permission to fly from the local council ? I have a legitimate reason for asking as I have access to several fields.

Kevin b

You don't need permission from the council unless it's there field, only need planning permission if you use it for more than 12 days a year which obviously you don't, but may have suitable planning permission already.

I think we shouldn't call people 'armchair flyers' just because they are not seen.............. I like to fly early in the morning as it lets me have the rest if the day with my family.

I have been a member of my new club for over 11 months now, have flown at the field on dozens of occasions but have only seen one other memer once, arriving as I was leaving.

I'm lucky in that it takes me longer to pack my car than it does to get to the field it has to be said!

I know miss out on the 'banter' etc., but it works for me until I have more spare time.

I do appreciate there will be true 'armchair flyers' but maybe not as many as we think....

(Once at my previous club, I stayed longer than normal and was greeted with "Oh, we didnlt think you ever flew...."

GG

I think Doc's comment is true what we tend to see in flying clubs is not unique to our hobby but other hobbies and sports too, and I agree we all join for different reasons.

I currently belong to a club that has a membership of some 36 or so, and we probably get about 8 or so at the field on a Sunday (although a couple of small groups fly on a Saturday or mid-week), and about half the membership at the monthly club meeting

My previous club had its membership grow from about 70 to over 150 in the space of a few years. Despite its size and growth we regularly had about some 30 or so at club meetings and about 12-20 at the field on a Sunday morning, and about 10 for grass cutting duties. When doing any public displays we tended to have same faces as at the field on a Sunday.

At the end of the day a club only exists on the basis of a collective group of people that have a common interest. There will always be some that embody all that a club requires in terms of commitment and support, and there will always be some on the fringes for various reasons.

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/07/2019 14:13:03:

As mentioned earlier, we don't need any Council permission as it isn't their land. It's privately owned, with the owner having an interest in both multirotors, helicopters and powered gliders. Oddly he doesn't fly with us on the bit we use though. He has his own area a few hundred metres (out of sight) from us......

Planning permission isn't an issue either as there is no change of use. The land, all 100% of it - remains in use for it's original purpose. This is entirely intentional.

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/07/2019 14:34:16

Thanks Percy. I understand.

However, even though it is agricultural land it will still be subject to the 28 day rule and if someone uses it for any other purpose than agriculture for more than 28 days in the year, then you have to get permission. The reason I know this is that I own the field next to my house and can only fly on it for 28 days per year without council permission.

Posted by kevin b on 03/07/2019 14:52:48:
However, even though it is agricultural land it will still be subject to the 28 day rule and if someone uses it for any other purpose than agriculture for more than 28 days in the year, then you have to get permission. The reason I know this is that I own the field next to my house and can only fly on it for 28 days per year without council permission.

Without suggesting you break any laws, if you however had already used up your 28 days allocation (would popping along for half an hour one evening in the summer count as a whole official 'day'?) I'm sure you could squeeze in a few more quiet sessions before winter set in each year.

There's a field near me which is only ever grown for hay which is cut and baled before mid-summer, and which is occasionally used by dog-walkers and the odd bloke parking his camper-van and then launching his motorised paraglider. Its my field of choice for trimming small rubber scale FF models and practicing with my DLG. Before I got my A Cert it was also one of the places I went to practice with my Riot (can't fly alone at my club without an A).

Of course the proper place for IC etc is the club field itself.

Posted by Doc Marten on 03/07/2019 09:28:57:

It's not unique to flying clubs, my Angling clubs were the same, only a handful showing up at the monthly meets and maintenance days but a membership of over 100, we all join for different reasons.

Cuban8, why does it wind you up?

Edited By Doc Marten on 03/07/2019 09:32:36

Members choosing to use the club or not is entirely up to them.

Just to be clear, it's only the jobsworths and rule pedants that get my goat. I don't lose sleep over it though.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/07/2019 17:41:29