Advice please

andy paterson

Hi all

Not a beginner with flying , have not taken A cert, my test should be imamate ,just the questions to sort , I have a wot4 e foam, where I fly can toss the plane around, I love ic planes which plane would suit there area or my position ,I would be looking at ic plane .

Advert

Andy, your " A " cert plane just needs to be one that you are familiar with

That has an undercarriage to be able to take off and land without handlaunch

From now on, run through the schedule regularly, so as no big surprises on the day

The Wot Trainer would handle more of a breeze than the Wot4 FoamE,

Though the I/C motor would need to be " on song "

Andy,

Having just passed it, stick with your go-to plane and pray for 5 mph wind. DON’T chuck it about, fly sensible open figure 8 at even height.

I think it’s safe to say that most of us found it easier without the extra complications of an ic engine and there’s no discrimination against electric.

Any high wing mid size plane ought to do, a Wot 4 seems hard to beat. In our group, the 3D fliers failed. Sweat the whole of the BMFA handbook. Listen carefully to the examiner’s instructions. Check the site specific rules too. Pick a good pit man to carry out/hold tx etc. Remember the electric rules, live when plugged in etc.

Best of luck and tell all post facto!

BTC

Andy, if you follow Dickw's link to the Quizzes, you will also find under the Downloads tab on the right hand side the Guidance Notes for the FW A and B. If you have not already done so, I would strongly advise that you print out the Guidance Notes and study the section dealing with the A Test. If you follow that and bone up on the BMFA Handbook and Mandatory Questions (using the Quiz helps this as well) you will be well placed to fly a successful A test. You might also like to ask your Examiner to fly an A test demo for you so that you can see exactly what is required on the flying front. Oh yes, the minimum weight of the aircraft you use for your A test is 1 Kg. If it is less than 1 Kg, or doesn't have an undercarriage, or uses some level of flight assistance e.g. AS3 Rx - then you will take the Basic Proficiency Certificate Test. The BPC is exactly the same as the A test but some Clubs may insist that if you want to fly an A Cert capable aircraft unsupervised then you must have an A Cert.

Good luck.

If you are going down the ic route, the market is flooded with good ic trainers at the moment, Check out Facebook marketplace, which has some fantastic models up for grabs / no on costs / close to you. There is nothing wrong with foamies, but IMHO a 60" ic powered high wing trainer will cope with the wind better and has more "soul". Make sure you are going by the lates BMFA (May 2019) FW guidance notes. I recently attended an Examiners workshop, and there are a few subtle changes. Best make sure your instructor is up to speed, as you do not want to be given duff info. Good luck!.