Looking for prop nut manufacturer

Tony Richardson

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help. A few years ago Alex Whitaker did a short piece in RCM&E on various accessories for model engines, one item he showcased was a machined prop nut that screwed onto the crankshaft and completely hid the lock nut giving a nice look to the model and scale appearance also very good for using electric starter, I ordered one for my Saito 180 and was really pleased now I would like one for my NGH 38 and me being me have lost all tne contact info that I had, I think the guy who makes them does it as a small business or sideline but the quality and finish were excellen,t can anybody remember the article or remember to the makers name I would be for ever grateful, thanks in advance for any help..

Tony...

Edited By Tony Richardson on 14/07/2019 02:15:41

Advert

Thank you all for advice and help given, I have now located said person, by pure chance I was going through some old magazines with the intent of having a good clear out when I came across some old RCM&E mags, yep you guessed it within that mag in the weekenders column was the very thing I was looking for so I went from not having a clue to being overwhelmed with info that I was looking for, I have an email into this person if all goes well I should have what I need soon., providing this email is still active.

Oh the article was in the August 2008 weekenders

Posted by Charles Smitheman on 24/07/2019 07:24:58:

Hello Tony,

Did you manage to contact the supplier? If so please could you share the address. I am looking for a prop nut for an OS15FP which is an obscure thread, 7/32-32 apparently.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles

My notebook is handwritten but clearly shows the prop nut as M5

These are easily obtainable

Charles, full name of that thread is Unified Fine. It a 7/32 inch, 32 teeth per inch.

Normally abbrievated to UNF 7/32 32

Ita common system in the USA. Available from nut/bolt suppliers, or eBay.

Just engines will also have them I expect.

Edited By Don Fry on 24/07/2019 09:04:36

Hello Don,

No joy at Just Engines unfortunately. They agree with the thread description but do not have a tap.

Due to club rules I need a domed nut. (Apparently it is safer to be struck by a bullet shape rather than a bolt/nut on the front of the model. I have yet to find out if this is enforced with pusher prop models as well...laugh) So I need to find a tap or a person with a tap who will make me one.

This is a bit of nostalgia; I m building a copy of a Svenson Channy which was my first powered model.

Charles

Charles

Just Engines list a spinner nut for the OS10 FP and 15 LA. This is domed as I have bought such parts for other sized OS engines and spinner nut is their terminology for a domed nut.

This is the part:

X-OS20824005 Spinner Nut 10FP/15LA

It's £4.75.

x-os20824005-0360.jpg

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 24/07/2019 09:29:33

Bit of a confusion coming on. First, a dome nut Is good. I once knew a bloke who's aircraft hit his head, raw bolt on the end, went through a hard hat, and skull. A rounded end would have had a hugely better result.

re the nut. I looked this up, Google, OS 15 fp, operating instructions, and got a PDF sort of thing with photos of the originals. It stated the 10 had am M5, the 15 a UNF 7/32. But Denis, who's been around the block reckons the 15fp is a M5. But be aware, the dome nut Alan describes is an M5. I know the 15 LA is M5, and have just checked the instruction for the 15LA.

If it's a tap you want, eBay will supply.

No need to go so far away! I believe it is an ME thread (Model Engineering) although there's no thread form info available that I can find. Chronos and several other UK stockists sell them e.g. RDG, Tracy Tools etc. The link is to a set but individual taps are also available...

UPDATE Apologies, there is a 12-32 UNEF thread which might be more likely to be correct although I would have thought OS literature would have described it as such. Although technically different, either thread should work satisfactorily in an aluminium dome nut - ME is a 55 degree angle thread whereas the UNEF is 60.

There is a very comprehensive list of thread data on this site - well worth bookmarking if you have an interest in engineering outside mainstream current products! 

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/07/2019 11:34:46