Planespotting Live

Capt Kremen

Advert

I'm sure we're being force fed a diet of diversity from the TV companies. Some definite parallels with the BoB "re-creation" last year...

I watched out of curiosity for a while but had to turn it off  - I know many think of aeromodellers as nurds or anoraks but that bunch in the field near Heathrow - and for that matter, the presenters (with the exception of Arthur Williams) - made us seem wonderfully normal!

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/07/2019 13:18:32

Complete rubbish, certain factions of  the BBC playing their games again. Arthur Williams is knowledgeable and always worth watching however. On the other hand, I thought the Jim Al Khalili BBC 4 programme on Aviation history was excellent and with a good balance of fact and entertainment.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/07/2019 14:55:08

I put up with it for about four minutes, before switching channels. However, not quite believing it could be that bad, I switched back to it a few minutes later. . . . . But yes, it really was that bad.

I won't be watching any further episodes.

My TV has an "off" switch, and it seems to be getting used a lot of lately.

B.C.

It was, however, followed by a reasonably good programmee on the development of flight, presented by Jim Al-Kalili, who also does the Radio 4 series The Life Scientific just after the 9 a.m. news. The TV progamme had a refreshing lack of barmy-looking 'experts', and touched on Leonardo, Cayley, the Wrights, Sperry (for gyros), Wiley Post (high altititude flight) and Whittle, including a couple of shots of him with models he built it the RAF at Halton.Worth checking out on I-Player.

Totally agree Martin, a very interesting programme indeed, Dear old Aunty Beeb missed a trick in not having Arthur Williams present plane spotting live, I shall however watch tonight mainly because I'm sad and simply like looking at aircraft.( maybe I'll mute the sound!!)

I saw the trailers for Planespotting Live and it seems from the comments here that my thoughts at the time have been confirmed. I might skim through it on iPlayer just to see if it really was that bad, though I'm sure I already know the answer...

I will confess to have once been 'in a field near Heathrow', but on only one occasion - to capture on video the 3 last ever Concorde passenger flights returning to LHR - I feel that was justified!

The other programme though, mentioned my Cuban8 and Martin, sounds well worth a watch on iPlayer.

Posted by John Privett on 24/07/2019 19:16:31:
I will confess to have once been 'in a field near Heathrow', but on only one occasion - to capture on video the 3 last ever Concorde passenger flights returning to LHR - I feel that was justified!

I'd rather be in a field near Old Warden or Duxford.

Agree with Martin.

I believe Jim Al Khalili is one of the few very few top academics who have the knack of presenting complex ideas in a manner that a Beano reader can begin to get to grips with (to quote Tony Robinson on a Time Team episode ).laugh