F86 "Gamma" Build

This photo shows the blocks that hold the servos looking down from the top of the wing. The top skin is not yet fitted.

The blocks ended up being packed out and glued to the shear webs and ribs as well as the top skin.

A thin ply strip holds the servo in and is accessed through the hatch in the bottom skin.

img-20190911-wa0003.jpg

Posted by Martin Gay on 01/12/2019 21:19:50:

This photo shows the blocks that hold the servos looking down from the top of the wing. The top skin is not yet fitted.

The blocks ended up being packed out and glued to the shear webs and ribs as well as the top skin.

A thin ply strip holds the servo in and is accessed through the hatch in the bottom skin.

img-20190911-wa0003.jpg

I would advocate gluing the servo to the ply backing plate with a mixture of Epoxy Finishing Resin (NOT GLUE) and microballoons being careful not to glue the rotating pot as well. I have tried this method. It is a fiddle and the servo can move, or break the supports in extremis. I know Andy Blackburn has moved to this method because he recommended it on his Canberra.

Mouldies glue the servo to top and bottom skins for extra support. I never have but you can do so.

Incidentally if you are worried about removing the servo, it can be easily prized off the ply plate with a screwdriver as long as you use the correct resin, otherwise it is there till hell freezes over (-2 degrees here in th'ills)

Edited By Peter Garsden on 02/12/2019 09:57:47

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no sure if there's a difference in wing modelled by Martin, but I can say that especially on a low wing sloper, it's usually not a great idea to have the ailerons terminate at the tip. Very often you'll fine grass snags here on landing and will either ground loop your airframe for you at best, or tare off the aileron at worst.

Thanks Martin and Andy. My pal Graham has sent me an interesting image reproduced here which clarifies this issue. The Sabre had ailerons that reached the tips and ones that didn't, depending on the variant. My chosen aircraft is 86F entering service in October 1953. The 86F had both aileron configurations so it could have been either Im going with what I have built and what is on the plan and what works best for a slope soarer. Phew!.

img_1658.jpeg