F86 "Gamma" Build

Hi Martin, I have started my build, well the wing jig anyway.

I've been following other peoples blogs and I noted that some of them have left the bottom skin slightly wider to allow for the shape of the ribs etc.

On your build, am I right in saying that you simply made the wing skin to cover the false leading and trailing edges and then marked all the positions on the skin whilst on the plan before putting it onto the jig, and you didn't make the skin wider than the plan?

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I made the wing skins oversize, placed them on the jig and weighted them down so they conformed to the curve of the jig. I then marked the positions of the ribs, false LE and TE onto the skins, in situ.

Once marked, I removed the skins from the jig and carefully trimmed them to the false LE and TE lines.

As I made each wing separately I only trimmed the root end of the skins when I had glued R1 into place and added the spars and shear webs.

Does that make sense?

Martin.

Hi Harry,

The top slot of F10 does not need to be 6mm for the upper keel, as you will be cutting the upper keels, between F9 and F10 away to fit the fin.

The lower keels on the prototype and Gamma biulds were cut from balsa sheet - I was being lazy.

The plan shows 3x6mm balsa strip. If this does not want to bend then use two lengths of 3x3mm strip. Fit the first one and then glue the second one to it.

Al,

Agreed! I believe it is RCN_80_ATH and is what was available on the laptop at the time of creating the paint masks!

We decided against an FAI F4 scale model, as it is a PSS glider, and may not last too long! laugh

Your challenge of revenge is accepted - but might not happen "next time" wink 2

All said in jest - of course!!

Martin.

Posted by Martin Gay on 21/11/2019 09:12:06:

Gordon is making steady progress on the colour scheme - despite suffering from a nasty bout of "man flu".

img-20191120-wa0000.jpg

Look at that storage and organisation in the window reflection Alan! That should take your mind off the fonts! laughyes

Looking very good there Gordon. Those yellow crosses should stand out well.yes

Posted by Chris Barlow on 22/11/2019 01:28:37:
Posted by Martin Gay on 21/11/2019 09:12:06:

Gordon is making steady progress on the colour scheme - despite suffering from a nasty bout of "man flu".

img-20191120-wa0000.jpg

Look at that storage and organisation in the window reflection Alan! That should take your mind off the fonts! laughyes

Looking very good there Gordon. Those yellow crosses should stand out well.yes

I have spotted the storage Chris, don't worry, but it looks like Gordon has more space in his workshop than you do, that's why I was so impressed with your very efficient use of the space.

I do still like this scheme very much. A nice balance between camo and gaudy. Looking forward to seeing it in the air.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 22/11/2019 16:34:22

Looking for a little advice on my first PSSA build.

Anyone have any advice on servos? It looks like you have used micro sized ones - I was thinking of using this size, metal gear about 2kg. Sound OK?

Also, I am planning to install elevator, flaps and ailerons but maybe missing out the rudder (the control snake is a bit unsightly). Any views on this?