can you reccomend me a decent soldering iron

Phil 9

I find myself doing more and more soldering.

I have a poor soldering iron the tip is wobblily the handle gets hot and the power cable is far to short.

I would like something better.

I used to use at work a wella soldering station that was very good but at nearly £300 it is too expensive for home use.

Do you own a good onr that you can recommend?

Advert

Not recommending any particular make or iron, but do ensure that whatever you buy is temp controlled. I have two in normal use - first is the bog standard Weller 40W soldering station, to which I can fit several different sizes of bit. For the larger soldering jobs, I bought a Weller 100W temp controlled iron - haven't found anything it won't cope with yet! Weller aren't cheap, but the quality is there and it's easy to find parts for them.

What Doc said. Short of an all-singing-all-dancing high budget job, two cheaper irons are your best bet. I have a small Antex for electronics and a big, cheap, off-brand E-bay special 100W one for power cables and u/c wire. If that doesn't do the job then it's time for the gas torch.

I use a Hakko FX888D and have found it to be very good. If you envisage you will be doing quite a lot of soldering then its a worthwhile investment, there is a massive range of tips, digital temperature output and maintains heat well. Also if spares were ever required, they are very well supported.

**LINK**

Posted by Jon Robb on 27/07/2019 13:58:38:

I use a Hakko FX888D and have found it to be very good. If you envisage you will be doing quite a lot of soldering then its a worthwhile investment, there is a massive range of tips, digital temperature output and maintains heat well. Also if spares were ever required, they are very well supported.

**LINK**

are the tips included or sold separately