Broken servo arm screw

Don Fry

I've had a few of the Corona mini sized cases (339MG/HV?) break, I've also had a few standard servos fail over the years. By happy coincidence, if you slice the top of the case section with the lugs of something like a 148 it will slide over the Corona case. Dab of glue and you have a 5kg servo back in service.

Some 12 months ago I bought a second hand Seagull Harrier that someone had converted to electric and had fitted Corona midi servos. Unfortunately I found out that out of the five fitted in various areas they had all broken on the flange where the screws held them in place. Not sure if it was mishandling or a bit of UV making them brittle in this area

Jrman is right, I believe all my assorted Savox and Hitecs have JIS heads, as have `lots of hardware on ARTFs. You can get away with Pozi in PHS and vice versa in the larger sizes but I'm far happier having acquired a set of 4 JIS. It's generally the second largest which fits servos, probably No.1, if I can visualise them I think they go 00,0,1 and 2.

ian Shaw/Modelfixings sells replacement servo arm screws which don't smell of Wensleydale.

BTC

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 27/08/2019 21:20:22:

Some 12 months ago I bought a second hand Seagull Harrier that someone had converted to electric and had fitted Corona midi servos. Unfortunately I found out that out of the five fitted in various areas they had all broken on the flange where the screws held them in place. Not sure if it was mishandling or a bit of UV making them brittle in this area

Brittle plastic or poor injection moulding flow, either way I've had them break a) while fitting, b) during 'heavy landings' and c) in second-hand models.

Guess there are a fair few heavy handed modellers about Martin McIntosh, and all other brands build their servos to make allowances for us wink. My Curare still has a full complimentof them the last time I looked so I'm certainly not decrying them.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 28/08/2019 17:07:28:

Their slim wing servos of which I use a lot come with substantial arms, but the more normal shaped minis do not. They can often be interchanged.

That's interesting, I would be amazed if the supplied arms could cope with the claimed 5kg.cm torque of the 339s. I've got some boxed wing servos, I'll have to take a look.