Cub. Which Cub?

Hi everyone.

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who knows about Piper Cub kits please. I've come back to all this after 30ish years and want to do a build of something scale-ish, but reasonably easy to fly. I'm not bothered about aerobatics and all that stuff. So a Piper Cub (Electric) came to mind. Cost is not really the prime thing. I'm mainly after a good kit which will build well and fly properly. I'm currently re-honing my flying skills with a Riot V2.

So far I can see 3 possible candidates:

SFM Cub 40, 68".

HobbyKing Piper J3, 70"

DB Sport Piper Cub, 84"

The DB seems to be a fairly comprehensive kit. But it's big.

I seem to find mixed reactions to the HobbyKing.

I can't really find much about the SFM.

So, if you know anything about building and flying these kits please share your thoughts. They will be very much appreciated.

Thanks. Nick.

Edited By William Walker on 28/08/2019 18:07:14

Advert

Hi William,

What about the flair kit with a span of 73", they are always appearing on ebay.

I built one with my son a couple of years ago for him to learn on. It flies very well although it did fly better with an .40 up front. The build is straight forward, although I do remember joining the wings was a bit precarious. The wing struts are an optional item optional and can be flown with or without them.

It should convert fairly easily for electric

dsc02528 (1280x853).jpg

Hope this has been of some help

Regards

Robert

There are lots of Cub plans, one that might be a handy size is the Philip Kent one for electric which he sells from his website. Converting a model from ic to electric is easily possible but it's so much easier if someone has planned it specially for electric.......

Note that Philip Kent was a noted scale columnist for many years and he did many scale plans - you might even consider his Interstate Cadet as slightly different Cub equivalent. If you search his website you can find his phone number if you want to ask about his design before buying.

Hello William, can I give a thumbs up for the DB kit. I built one many years ago, in fact shortly after Mr Boddington produced the model. I am still flying it now. It is pretty close to scale and, I'm sure, the current kit from DB Sport & Scale has refined it with modern techniques, laser cutting etc. I'm also sure you are aware that, although a J3 looks like a trainer, it does have a few handling quirks.

David

I am STILL building my GP Electricub, the kit for which certainly suffered as a result of a start to laser cutting parts - take that as it having been hard work...

I have flown a couple of Flair Cubs, which with their semi-symmetrical wing, handle less than smooth air well. The Flair Cubs I flew had OS FP and LA 40s, and that was a perfect package, so pretty much any 4S LiPo electric system using up to 12" props will be fine. I am on the lookout for a Flair Cub with the lighter built up wing for exactly this.

There are some new Chinese built up Cub kits that are specifically electric, and look quite nice - on the web.....

I have built a few Sig kits, and they are all first class. The older Sig Cubs, being lightweight designs from the 70s and 80s, are perfect for electric conversion.

Good luck!

John

On the ARTF front Nick, I can recommend 2 as I fly them every week, but they are very different

The SFM 40, is no way scale, but looks good and is a great flyer, and a good intro to Cub flying.

Everything is in The box to make it fly, but I built a wire U/C and fitted Low Bounce Dubro wheels

The other

The World Models 1/5th Scale Cub, light for its size, flys beautifully, and details can be added

Complete flying model from the box, and more flying discipline required, and is scale