Morris gas conversion experience

Ted Khinsoe

Advert

My experience has been very poor.

Many customers return their engines to me for conversion back to glow as they didnt work following petrol conversion.

My own petrol development has demonstrated clearly that its really not as simple as carb swap and ignition. At least not for the level of performance that i deem acceptable.

I know one person who converted an asp version and the big end siezed, made a wet sump with caster in it, which he replaces after each flight session and is still going now a few lears later.

why go petrol you will get less power out of it? and it will run a lot hotter so cooling is very important with baffrels needed directing air flow etc.

I have one and it is very reliable on 5% and has a low oil content fuel with fully synth oil to reduce any mess and I have not lost just one cylinder on it yet

Edited By flight1 on 04/09/2019 14:52:17

Posted by flight1 on 04/09/2019 14:50:35:

I have one and it is very reliable on 5% and has a low oil content fuel with fully synth oil to reduce any mess and I have not lost just one cylinder on it yet

What oil content do you use?

I was mainly concerned about reliability on glow but I guess onboard is a reasonable option.

Thanks for the feedback

I’ve used one of these for many years. Excellent bit of kit. You have to get it from the US though. I thought I had an issue with it a couple of years ago. The customer service was superb- even though I was 1000’s miles away! It turned out a pin had a dry solder joint.

That said, I’d buy another.

I have an ASP version of this engine and my only gripe is the mismatch between the cylinders when it comes to the tuning. My right cylinder always runs rich vs the left up to half throttle. I have never flown it due to a change of plans, but in all my test running its never dropped out at random so i dont think its going to be a problem.

After i changed projects i did set about modifying my engine so it now has laser twin ring pistons and this has helped the compression somewhat. I needs new rings though, i only had worn ones to play with when i rebuilt it.

If i get time i might convert it to twin carb as that will fix everything

Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 05/09/2019 15:15:52:

It’s slated for a 1/4 scale L4 Grasshopper so as long as it stays running I’ll be happy.

that is what mine was for. A friend and i both had models but his crashed before i built mine. As we wanted to fly them together i abandoned the project but kept the engine.

Piers, if there is interest i will step it up in priority from 'one day it might be fun' to 'something for the winter'

One final gripe about the engine is the sound...its awful, or at least it is on the bench. I have two flat twins (160 and 300) and they both sound extremely harsh when unsilenced. My now sold 3 cylinder saito, my 5 cylinder asp radial and OS flat 4 sound fine on straight pipes but for some reason my two flat twins sound really bad so a pair of silencers is recommended.

the asp is not noisy like a 2 stroke engine and if you use a baffled silencer on each cylinder you will find the noise to be very amicable. two asp .60 size baffled silencers with suitable manifolds will do nicely or make your own.

as for fuel I don't know what you use down under but 15% fully synth modern oil works fine, once run in and if you like straight fuel and know what you doing a lower oil content can be used

Posted by flight1 on 05/09/2019 20:10:02:

the asp is not noisy like a 2 stroke engine and if you use a baffled silencer on each cylinder you will find the noise to be very amicable. two asp .60 size baffled silencers with suitable manifolds will do nicely or make your own.

as for fuel I don't know what you use down under but 15% fully synth modern oil works fine, once run in and if you like straight fuel and know what you doing a lower oil content can be used

Quite right. What i mean is other multi cylinder engines have a nice sound on straight pipes but from some reason the flat twins i have experience with sound really harsh. One is an OS ft300 and it was unbearable. I bodged up a pair of exhausts with parts from work and it then purred like a kitten.

As for fuel, 5% nitro and 15% synthetic is my starter for 10 on all engines these days. As the conrods are pure bronze in the 160 you would likely be fine with 10% oil and probably even as low as 5%. I have not yet run mine on anything less than 15% but there is loads of oil coming out at 15 so i think i will go for 10% when i finally get around to using it.

As the Precedent Turbulent was mentioned I thought I'd post a video of mine, it has an SC 1.20 converted to run on petrol. It hasn't been without problems but this was mostly because I was trying to use the original glow carb to start with, the needle was just too sensitive to be able to adjust it properly or get it running reliably. I have since bought the carb kit from Morris which I believe is an RCGF carb, it is now running much better and I have over 40 flights on this setup, it runs on a 25:1 oil mix (4%).

**LINK**

You will see in the video I am using an Evolution 16x6 prop and I'm getting 7800-7900 rpm at full throttle and around 1850 rpm at idle, this may be slightly less than on glow but I doubt by very much, and certainly not enough to worry about on this type of model. BTW I still have glow engines (Laser and others) so I am not saying petrol is better in all circumstances, here is a list of the pro's and con's (so far)

CON's

• The cost of the parts
  • Maybe a slight drop in rpm at full throttle
  • It ran hotter so I had to add cowl baffles

PRO's

• Cheap fuel, around £7 a gallon, it also uses less than 1/2 the amount so it's 1/4 of the price
  • Easy starting, less equipment, all I need is model, TX and starter (it will hand start)
  • Low reliable tickover
  • Absolutely no exhaust mess, so no cleaning
  • No fiddling with the mixture, I haven't touched it for around 35 flights

I was recently messing around on my lathe and decided to have a go at making a magnet ring for another petrol conversion that I have in the pipeline, the one that Morris sells costs about £30 (I wonder how much of this is because it is anodised?), it is basically just a ring that fits over the prop driver with a magnet and 2 grub screws.

I knocked one up for about £2 inc the magnet, I also made a fuel plug from scrap.

I reckon I can get the bits together for around £78, this is £2 for the magnet ring and bracket, £38 for the ignition unit and sensor, £25 for the carb (RCGF), £4 for a sheet of phenolic to make a carb heat spacer and £9 for the 1/4-32 spark plug.

magnet ring.jpg

dsc_0832.jpg