D8R-11 plus Receiver and EU LBT firmware

Dennis Mulhair

LBT doesn't apply to D8 mode, your receiver will still work - if you clear the EU box in settings on Companion before downloading the firmware. The transmitter will still use LBT for D16 mode but it also makes D8 mode available. If you tick EU then D8 is not listed in the receiver options on the model setting home page. Nowadays the firmware version is just eg XJT_LBT_build151223.FRK, no _EU_ in there!

For those wishing to use 'D' receivers, particularly with new "ACCESS" transmitters that don't support D8 mode, I've written new firmware for them that uses D16 mode. Details are here: **LINK**.

I test flew a D8R-II yesterday with this firmware and a Taranis plus. The Tx is still using "international" firmware (it is pre-2015). The 2 flights had no problems. This firmware actually supports both international and EU-LBT modes, and properly listens before transmitting telemetry data. You also have the option of using one of the servo outputs as a SBUS output.

Telemetry is still the hub protocol in to the Rx, although this is sent to the Tx in SPort data. I'm looking into being able to use the Tx and Rx signals, combined with a diode or transistor, to support SPort sensors.

Technically, D8 mode is no longer legal, for new equipment, in Europe, but is OK for equipment imported before 2015.

Mike

• 3 months later...

On the link above, I've now posted an update to my D16 firmware for D8 receivers.

1. I now include a bootloader so after flashing this new version you no longer need to short the 2 pads to be able to flash any later versions.

2. By default the servo output pulses are at an18mS period. There is now an option to enable a 9mS period, with each channel individually configurable to 18 or 9mS. This is set by using a script on the Tx. I've included a script for erskyTx, which would need to be translated to LUA for openTx.

3. After some testing I've found the performance seems to be better if the "Auto tune" option is not used (so use a zero value as used by FrSky firmware). This is now the default, but "Auto tune" my be turned on.

4. I've removed the option to use the Tx signal as SBUS, as doing so makes it impossible to use any external sensors. However, the Tx signal, with the addition of a diode ecternally, my be used to provide a SPort compatible connection to use SPort sensors.

5. Tuning, SPort or hub, SBUS on chan 8, and SBUS on chan 4 are selectable using links at bind time.

6. Outputs of 1-8 or 9-16 are selectable at bind time via radio firmware.

I'm looking into adding an option to allow full mapping of the servo outputs. This would allow any channel to be placed on any servo output (it would also map the SBUS values at the same time).

Mike

• 2 months later...

I finally tried to modify my 'd8II plus rx' using Mike's instructions but I have not got very far. When I activate the STM software I get:

"no response from target, the bootloader cannot be started.............................."

I am using a gadget in the USB slot of my PC connected to my RX which has a label "fdd-lite-rev2"

I have reversed the rx and tx leads into the rx which seems to produce another response ".......not recognised". The RX starts up without the light flashing so I imagine I have got that part right at least. sometimes I get the message from STM that it is not responding so I have tried downloading at different times but all to no effect.

Advice would be welcome. RayMac

That combination is working for me with a D8R-II, and I just checked with a D8R-II plus and that responded as well.
I'm powering my receiver from a 4-cell NiCd, and the FDD_Lite_rev2 has the Rx signal connected to the Tx on the receiver and the Tx signal to the Rx on the receiver with Gnd also connected to G on the receiver.

The Tx signal, from the receiver, has a pullup resistor to 3.3V. It is possible that the FDD_LITE is loading this signal so it doesn't switch high quickly enough. However, the STM bootloader does detect the baud rate you are using automatically, so you could try a lower rate than 115200. I just checked my D8R-II plus, and this did respond at 57600 baud as well as 115200. You could also try lower baudrates. If you change the baudrate on the first screen of the flash loader program, I recommend you power cycle the receiver before clicking the "next" button.

Once you have the firmware flashed (assuming you have downloaded a recent version that includes its own bootloader), you may reflash the receiver without needing to short the two pads, just link channels 2 and 3 on the receiver at power on. I've done this many times now using the FDD_LITE at 57600 baud.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Just before Christmas you guided me through flashing new firmware to both my D8R-11Plus and D4R-11 receivers. At that time the latest version was “d8rii_rom030919” and the new firmware loaded to my Taranis X9D Plus was:

OPenTX Ver 224, The bootloader was OpentX 224.bin and the XJT was updated to XJT_EU_170317.frk

Since then you have uploaded two new versions. Those being 211219 & 050220. Do I need to load these sequentially or can I go direct to 050220?

Does this last version include the update from FRSKY that is currently going around all the forums?

I see to that there is a new version of OpenTX , does this need to be loaded to the transmitter too and is there a new bootloader as well. Do I have to reprogram the XJT as well?

Hope what I am asking makes sense as basically I’m not sure if the whole setup need to be re programmed or not?

Many Thanks

Dennis

You can go direct to 050220. Both these later version include the bootloader, so after flashing one of these, you will no longer need to open up the Rx and short the "BOOT0" pads to be able to flash new versions.

The 050220 version includes code that avoids the 0.9 sec lockout, it just drops a single RF frame of data.
It does not support the V2 firmware protocol (yet) as that is not quite finalised.

There is no need to update openTx or the XJT firmware.

Mike

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bit late to reply! The latest version is now 8-Jan-2021. I fixed a couple bugs to do with binding V2-LBT.

Two new items of interest:

1. I should be able to release a version in .frk format, so this would flash to receivers using the built in FrSky bootloader. Unfortunately, if you have already flashed a version the FrSky bootloader is no longer present, but if you have a non-flashed Rx, you would be able to flash this firmware, and then be able to flash back to official FrSky firmware.

2. I have just got this firmware working on a X8R receiver. While that is already D16, you get the auto-bind to V1/V2, FCC/EU option, and dual bind feature. Currently I'm testing with the RSSI port being used as an anlaog input (A2). I need to do more testing, but this is already working. For this, I'm flashing a .frk file.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Is there anybody who can give me a blow by blow regarding Mikes upgrading the  D8R-2Plus to D16 ?

Especially concerning Mikes last post.

Do I still need the FDD_LITE  adapter to carry out the transfer ? I have watched various videos on FRSKY flashing upgrades but all seem to be downloading to the Tx and then to the receiver ??

What are the advantages / disadvantages in upgrading to D16 beside the obvious being legal EU/LBT ?

My Taranis runs D8 & D16 EU although I don't know which version of D16.

Cheers

John

9 hours ago, John Wagg said:

What are the advantages / disadvantages in upgrading to D16 beside the obvious being legal EU/LBT ?

Bear in mind that if your Tx is pre-2015, D8 is still legal. (Yes, I know its nonsense, but I don't write the rules! ? )

D16 has more channels available and more options, but your average sport flyer won't notice any difference. Many of my models are still on D8. Its a very robust system!

--

Pete

PatMc: It will if you use SBUS, since you have the option of sending SBUS out on channel 8 (or channel 4 for the D4R).

I haven't published the .frk file yet, so you still need to follow the original instructions for flashing. I'm a bit concerned if I release the .frk file that this firmware will end up on clone receivers.

Some of the features:

Auto-detect of protocol to use (V1/V1, FCC/LBT)

Dual bind.
Optional SBUS output with polarity select.
Channel output mapping.
Individually select 9ms or 18ms pulse rate on each output.
SPort of hub telemetry.

Mike

• Like 1