Complete newbie.

Neil Worthington

Advert

Welcome!

You will get good advice here.

Just remember. Model aircraft are suposed to be fun even if it dopesn't seem like it at times.

Second thing that I say to everyone who starts modelling

You will crash models.It doesn't matter how long you have been doing it, you will still crash models. I crash them through pilot error and other even more stupid reasons and I have been flying since 1953.

Get used to accepting it.

The best piece of advice I can give you John is to join a club. There are ten clubs within ten miles of the centre of Manchester all affiliated to the British Model Flying Association. **LINK**

You will probably find that there will be people who are only too keen to show you the ropes. Why not visit some of them and join the one which most appeals?

Most if not all clubs will allow non members to visit and see what it's all about. Most clubs prefer that you visit and see what the most suitable models and radio are BEFORE you buy the wrong stuff. In particular it's best to have the radio make that is used by the club for instruction.

Thanks for the replies. There's a club in Rochdale/Bury that I'm going to join. I actually built a nitro plane some years ago but it never got any higher than the top of my wardrobe. This time I'm looking at buying the Eflite Apprentice trainer. Seems ideal with the SAFE tech for somebody like me that's never flown before. But as the advice above states, I'll be seeking the advice of club members first. In the meantime I'm looking at getting a sim and controller.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Newbie from australia looking at starting to build some planes I'm in retirement mode so looking for some hobbies I'm big time fan of RC planes and building them from strach. For some reason cant seem too find suppliers of kits from balsa wood so I'm hoping I can get some info here noce meeting u all on advance..Gordon

G'day, Gordon & welcome to the forum.
I think you've been overlooked as you've tagged on to another newbie's intro.

Dunno what the situation is in Oz re the availability of self build kits but I know of a number of people building vintage models from plans & I think semi kits so balsa seems to be still available.

Where are you in Oz & what type of model takes your fancy ?

Edited By PatMc on 26/10/2019 22:02:24

Gordon, you will find that some British kit makers and shops ship overseas all the time so check out .....

SLEC

DB Sport & Scale

Mick Reeves Models

Accesories page

Mick Reeves Models

kit page

Steve Webb Hobbies

if you find a kit that suits your needs ask them for an estimate of postage and remember British prices often include 20 percent VAT (sales tax) which is not applicable to export.

Edited By kc on 27/10/2019 08:50:10

Edited By kc on 27/10/2019 08:54:01

Edited By kc on 27/10/2019 08:57:55

• 1 month later...

Hi all I'm Mark from Birmingham and this is my first ever post. I'm only a newbie from 1996 when I gave my hobby up when my son was born. I started aged 10 with my dad in 1976 as a member, on and off at the Sutton Park flying club West Midlands. Seems a lot more electric now but I'm sticking to nitro, the only thing that's puzzling me now is the batteries everything else seems pretty much the same. best place to ask a question about batteries.

Anyway love the site and I'm like a big kid now I'm back into the hobby I've loved and missed so much.yes

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/12/2019 14:29:42