TN Concorde

Alan Jarvis

Hi Chris,

The escs have a 5.5V, 5A BEC so this should do the job other than I had to extend the leads and used lighter duty cable than the original but the extensions are quite short. I have, of course, removed the positive wire from three of them. Will attempt a test with everything connected other than the fan motors soon.

Martin

Advert

Enjoying watching this come together martin. I don't think it's a hijack at all.

Escs, you could use the becs to drive a couple of servos from each one. As long as you stick to the usual routine of connecting only the negatives together throughout, and taking each esc positive output to just two or three servos apiece. Makes a good use of the redundancy you have available

Deltas can handle a lot of elevator in my fairly limited experience. As you say they just mush. I wouldn't be shy with the movement especially rates off.

Have been mulling over the possibilities this morning. It would be nice to drive the servos from one BEC and the Rx from another but would involve Y leads or specially made adapters as I see it. Altogether too complex.

About to make up some test leads to hook up a 2s Life to the Wattmeter so the readings will be a tad higher than 5.5V. Will keep you posted.

Still feeling sorry for myself and snuffling and coughing I have emerged from the shed having got quite a bit done.

I am not normally fazed by covering but this has to be the most difficult one yet. The underside is a bit lumpy due to that Cover Grip but most of the top is OK. Adding 1/4" strips to the wing/fus joins was a real boon. The model being long makes handling difficult.

I have cut the windows with my Silhouette Portrait vinyl plotter. 0.22"x0.18" is very small and there are nearly 100 of them. One side done. I have yet to work out how to do the door outlines.

concorde 014.jpg

concorde 015.jpg

concorde 016.jpg

concorde 017.jpg

I added a bit of split carbon tube to the underside of the nose because it is very weak here.

concorde 018.jpg

Thought that this would add a bit of authenticity to the model.

Lovely job Martin.! Interested you had the same experience as me with “cover grip” . I also experienced bumps on the film finish on another model despite the Wood being totally smooth. I have found clearcoat works the best . I would imagine unthinned celulose dope would be similar? PVA is also good in my experience.

Yes the PVA seems the easiest plus most economical option for this . I gave my Chipmunk fuselage a couple of coats of clearcoat and lightly sanded it and it worked well. I was looking for extra durability there as it’s an IC glow model. I did use the thinned PVA on the tail section and it worked very well . The clearcoat is cellulose I think so makes the surface quite hard . Must admit there was the occasional air bubble initially but I pop those with a fine pin while covering and they don’t seem to show. Anyway your build of this iconic plane looks fantastic!

I`m afraid that unless I can find somewhere else for a test flight it will not be before the summer. Actually got to the patch today for the first time since September due mainly to the weather, to do a little flying and run a BBQ would you believe. Patch is a quagmire.

Still playing with my plotter trying to make it cut a shape outline only. Will google for some advice on this and to make it send a test copy to an ordinary printer to save wasting Vinyl.

I do try to construct a lot of different types, the more difficult the better. I now have at least six which need either a maiden or a test flight after major repairs.

A couple of quick snaps now that I think it is finished. Last minute jobs included fitting the fin, rudder servo, Rx and battery velcro. The cg was checked and found to be a little rearward so I added 80gm as far forward as possible. If I had been using 4s then the pack would have been 120gm heavier anyway. AUW is a bit more than that stated.

Ran the fans again but they do not all seem to come on song together. Despite the esc`s being programmed the same it takes a few seconds. I would need to dig out the Rx, reconnect three of the positive wires and run them individually somehow to check this, but plenty of time for that.

concorde 021.jpg

concorde 022.jpg

I have had the Hunter plan blown up to 133% to fit that 64mm unit sent in error so will start a blog on it when I get going.

Excellent, look forward to hearing how it flies. A chap has one at our club under build. I had a 4 fan plane at one time, the fans all started up at different throttle settings if I opened the throttle very slowly, but once running they all seemed to be in sync.

I struggled with the 2 motors on a pancake trying to get them in sync and a forum member advised that you must turn on the tx, connect all the batteries and only then turn on the rx. All the ESC's will then arm at the same time and the motors will all start at the same time. This is the way I start all my multi engine electrics.

Hi Chris,

I am a bit puzzled by this since I do not have the problem on my Vulcan or o/d Lanc.

My esc`s are connected to the Rx via a multi connector as used to set up quads, so I cannot power it up afterwards without a complex switch arrangement. Not bothered about take off but don`t want asymmetric thrust when changing power when airborne.

I cannot really see what difference your suggestion would make since all four sing their tunes simultaneously.

May try rigging the model to some electronic scales to see if there is a significant increase in thrust over time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Martin.

ive started on my nacelles today. The FMS units are a loose fit. I need to order some acetate.

not sure if that will take up the slack but some 64th ply does do the job nicely of taking up the excess width in the ply formers. I just wondered if there would be any reason not to go down the route of using 64th to make the thrust tubes  (other than a weight penalty)   The tubes aren’t that long on the plan

also does anyone know the best way to keep the inlet ring on the fan unit?. Picture below. It just keeps dropping off. I was wondering about a drop of zap goo ?

craig

6e1e7b32-4869-44f9-a371-f3c76ede0cb3.jpeg

62977dfd-236d-4aab-a5de-05b5a1c6d936.jpeg

Edited By Craig Carr on 16/02/2020 17:17:56

Hi Craig.

I am surprised that the FMS units are loose. I see that you used the cnc pack so I cannot speak for that. I used Powerfun fans which require a larger hole than that shown on the plan anyway. The bits between the ridges on these needed packing with 1/64th ply to get everything to fit. You could try thin card for the tubes. It is easier to work with.

My FMS unit has arrived for the Gnat and fits the hole I cut to the plan perfectly. The Powerfun ones come with the bell mouth sellotaped to them so try this. The FMS one I have hot glued to the former whilst fitting the fan.

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin,

Got the fans and nacelles fettled. Thank you.

I have started the control surfaces today. On the plan he has split the eleven (as below). I did this on his small vulcan and it works but I’m just wondering is it absolutely necessary ? Could the control surface just be made as one piece?

craig

105c1f88-e2b6-42c3-a78c-f48c179bb94d.jpeg

fac7ee0c-4255-447f-a68c-039fcdfa1c84.jpeg

2d81cf33-58af-4ef3-a9de-3e707e17a0f3.jpeg