Shedly Protection

Joe Beavis

However laudable the reasons for the disappearance of creasote, it can present a difficulty for those of us with a traditional view of shed preservation. The only water-based treatment I have used did not convince me, and I can see even now some similar jollop washing off a neighbour's fence.

What do others do to protect the vital sanctuary?

Advert

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 10/10/2019 20:28:01:

Go to an agricultural general dealer and you will find creosote on the shelf.

...where it should remain otherwise the seller and purchaser would be liable to prosecution unless they have a professional exemption from the current ban on amateur usage.

"The approval for supply, storage and use of amateur products was revoked as of 30 June 2003. As such, anyone supplying, storing or using amateur products date may be liable for prosecution. Prosecutions may be brought under the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985."

I, too, missed the common availability of creosote. I found quickly enough that other (decorative) wood treatments didn't penetrate the wood and, as the original poster observes, didn't take long to disappear.

I find that Cuprinol's "Fencecare" does a better job and will last a decent time on things like shed walls, but it still is only a surface treatment. It's much more pleasant to use than creosote.

When I want to protect "stuff" for a long time, such as fenceposts or the back of wood which my wife can't see, I go for Creocote. Every time!

OK, this I know about. I built a large shed 3 1/2 years ago which was allegedly "treated", but I don't trust that so I got a couple of gallons of Creocote from a charity paint supplier who take in pot ends and re-pot them. I gave the shed components 2 coats inside and out, THEN assembled it and then gave it another coat once built. I tarred the underside of the oiled floor panels as I had a drum of tar left over from the restoration of our historic wooden canal boat. 18 months later I gave the outside another 2 coats of Creocote. It is still in perfect condition and will be dissembled and re-erected at my new place in slightly shortened form as a new hanger.

Creocote acts like creosote and smells like creosote. It is gobbled up by the wood, like Barratine, as it's oil based. I have used Barratine on my wooden canal boat to kill a little dry rot and where I couldn't get any epoxy to reach, once again because it's oil based and the wood gobbles it up. That is all you need as it goes right INTO the grain. If it does it on green oak, I can assure you it does it on the soft wood of a shed. Barratine is a bit pricier than Creocote, so it's up to you. What I like about Creocote is you can see where you've been as it will always colour up the wood, whereas Barratine and Cuprinol are usually clear and only real methodical work will assure you where you've been.

If your structure is capable of being colour painted and doesn't already have oil based coverings, I can absolutely recommend Leyland Trugard stone chip rubberised paint. It's thick and needs a very strong brush, but if you're building your shed from ply or particle board, Trugard gives you a marvellous microporous finish. I built a 20 x 8 foot workshop and after 15 years needed to just touch in 2 small patches on the window frame of the weather side of the Trugard. It is remarkable paint, as used by makers of twin unit park homes.

I hope my experience with both helps you decide.

My only method advice is, as ever, be absolutely thorough as rot gets in where you didn't

Martin

Posted by Foxfan on 10/10/2019 23:27:20:

Creocote acts like creosote and smells like creosote. It is gobbled up by the wood, like Barratine, as it's oil based.

Martin

Slightly confused...Creocote appears to be made by Barratine (Barrettine?) - what is the Barratine that you're referring to?

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/10/2019 00:11:05

I was given a bottle of Barratine (clear) when I was restoring my canal boat. It was good stuff. I was told about Creocote much later and also like it. The choice is yours, both are very good.

I was not aware that Creocote was made by Barratine as mine came in the charity shop's can.

Martin

Authorities don't seem to have realised that the current problem with urban foxes is probably caused by creosote no longer being used! We had a problem with foxes in our small garden in the 1980's, they disappeared for years when I replaced the fence panels. Then when no longer a smell of creosote the returned. Now a plague of them in many places. Bring back creosote!