Fairey Gannet

Advert

In 1955/6 I was in the Naval section of the school's CCF and we used to go to RNAS Stretton for weekends where I fell in love with the Gannets. They're ugly but somehow ugly in a way I like. There were Sea Hawk and Wyverns, too. We also got to fly in a DH Domini (Dragon Rapide, I suppose. Not sure what the difference is) which was probably the highlight of the weekends.

Geoff

Martin

I got this plan sometime ago and it is a good basis for a really nice model, I was going down the electric route and was in the process of developing the power unit which consists of two motors and was building the gearbox to make it contra-rotating, then life got in the way but once I have my elderly parents moved I will get back to it, it is a cracking aircraft.

Posted by fly-navy on 24/10/2019 22:58:13:

On the Aeromodellers forum martin there is a guy RalphR who is building a big AEW3 and would you believe he has stalled a Firefly build to do the Gannet.sadsad

John

Hi John,

I've just been reading Ralph's build blog from start to where he's up to now and feeling a bit daunted! However, I've sent off for the 81" plan and will mull it over during these dark nights.

Many thanks, Marty

Edited By Martin Fraser on 25/10/2019 14:42:17

Posted by Andrew Calcutt on 25/10/2019 09:00:24:

I think the gannet had two engines and counter rotating props,would make a good model,don't forget the folding wings!

Now THAT would be a model to behold, if someone could replicate the wing power fold ! And of course the contra-prop assembly.

As a small boy I recall seeing the Gannet AEW3 demonstrate its single engine capability at a Lossie Air Day, immediately followed by its demonstration of an (excellently controlled) belly landing on the short runway when the second engine didn't wind up quickly enough as the pilot did a 180 turn in front of us. I watched through my camera viewfinder thinking 'surely that's not right' as the starboard wingtip cut a furrow in the grass before the belly landing. No-one hurt, some impressively fast exits by the crew as the wreckage slid off the runway, debris and radar bits all down the runway and I never even pressed the shutter!

Posted by Martin Fraser on 25/10/2019 14:48:02:

Nigel - I like the sound of your contra-rotating power plant, any details published? thumbs up

Cheers, Marty

Hi Marty

I am back home either Sunday or Monday and I will dig out the motors to give you some details, I think I was working on around 3000 - 3600w of power over the two motors if I remember correctly, I know I was working on turning 18” props but the gearing escapes me at the moment, I know originally I was going to have the motors back to back with the front motor having a hollow shaft but bearings and shafts were not really as reliable I as I liked so was in the process of mounting motors and converting to tooth belt drive but the challenge is getting it to fit but I will publish details on the project if there is interest once I get back on with it.

by the way there are wing fold details on the plan.

I am also developing a smaller motor contra- rotating motors for a large Tu 95 bear which is easier to develop with the hollow shaft one behind the other but the Gannet is the first one on the board.

Cheers

Nige.

Why pointless?

I enjoy sorting out problems and anyway those systems work for that particular discipline not what I want at all, I know I have a set up, I am also making an adjustable variable pitch prop system to fine tune the set up which can be worked with servo or just used manually.

the idea if it works out is to have it run scale 4 blade system if possible, why? Because I can, modelling, for me, is not buying it all off the shelf, I have done that and am bored of it.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 25/10/2019 20:40:47

Hi Nigel. The motors used are from the very reasonably priced AEO range bought from HK. They don’t list them any more, although they appear here and there on EBay. I’m away from home at the moment, from memory the one in the XB42 is the1550Kv version and the one in the Depronised Super Marauder is 375W, they work well and seem to be available here and there on EBay still. I can’t remain the detail of the US originated co-axial motor but will check when I get back home. There is a full range of sizes and outputs including pretty large, but they start to get pricey.

Hi Colin

Thanks for that, I have used a few AEO motors and they have been very reliable, the ones I am using for the Gannet and Bear are the NTM motors as they were available at the time from HK although the larger two for the Gannet are no longer available but are of the chunkie variety! As the model could do with some weight up front these are not a problem.

I did get a set from HK when they did them as I remember at around 375w which I should really use just to get my inspiration kick started.

cheers

Nige.