Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

… back for report again, Captain Phil and other chiefs,

Thanks to my “Note to self”, I had the radome nose out of hibernation, covered with a light coat of acrylic varnish to fill the grain of the foam and avoiding the heavier epoxy to creep in to deep.

- first coat of glass to the radome nose with a second needed later on, simply for strength reasons > check

- second half of the bottom wing glassed > check

Hakuna matata & stay safe all with that possible second pandemic wave... sad

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pandemic Control

Advert

Hi, Ade and thanks for your kind words. yes

Glad that you're going to try the Sauce as well. Please remember that it's easier to have 2 or more thin coats with some sanding in between than one 'tick' coat.

Dirk's suggestion of using a foam roller looks interesting as well. I'll have to try it out when the time comes.

Don't forget your predictions for the Mugello GP... wink

Cheers & be careful all

Chris

Hello again,

I managed to have long sessions while just… glassing again… sad

- port top wing half glassed > check

- second glass coat on the radome nose > check

- starboard top wing glassed > check

Some pics to follow soon now, I hope… cool

Hakuna matata & stay cool all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Glassing… Control

Hi out there,

As promised, here are a few pics after the glassing and cleaning of the wing bottom.

1519_glassing_bottomwing_900.jpg

1521glassing_bottomwing02_900.jpg

As I had to add some resin to the pigmented initial batch, I decided this time to skip adding some pigment to obtain a more translucent mixture. cool

Not that bad at all as a test - of course it shows the not pigmented layers in the centre section - but it still helps to obtain the opportunity to see when the glass tissue is sufficiently saturated…

1525_radome_glassing_900.jpg

Above is the glassing result of the radome nose.

With some magnets in its base, a small jar with a steel lid was all I needed to keep it in place during glassing/cleaning. Easy job really... smiley

Hakuna matata & stay prudent

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mixture Control

Good going Chris, you are fast catching my position - I'm afraid I'm still sanding my fus finally before glass!

Also, with learning from the smaller parts like tailplane panels and ailerons who have had their final primer coat, I'm adding another coat of sauce to the wing panels as there are areas where perhaps I have oversanded as you've suggested...no pinholing is evident which is a step change from previous glassing, but the primer did show just the slightest eveidence of weave patterns showing through. So in trying to minimise the primer use on the bigger parts I think another final coat of sauce it is!

Thanks for your visit and your comments, Phil.

I'm not that "fast catching" at all, if you remember I still have the wing attachment and the wing seat to resolve... frown

I did the same as you having a glassing start with the smaller bits trying to build up some confidence with them.

Regarding the Sauce, IMHO, it's better to keep a final thin layer of it instead of sanding it back to the wave of the glass. As your weighting process showed, it's a very negligible addition to the total weight of the parts.

Your decision to add some extra layer(s) of Sauce is the right one as layers of primer or high build primer are definitely a lot heavier.

Cheers & keep alert, young man

Chris

Hello again,

This ‘Indian Summer’ is really great here in BE at the moment. Just hope it is the same in the UK?

Not that much to write as the top wing glassing is done.

It just needed some general clean-up which is also finalized now…

1527_glassing_topwing_900.jpg

1529_glassing_topwing02_900.jpg

1531_glassing_topwing03-900.jpg

Next will be ‘connecting’ the wing to the fuse. Not really looking forward to that though… frown

Hakuna matata & stay safe

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Connecting Control

Hi there,

Still busy preparing the bits to join the wing to the fuselage.

I still needed some ‘pointed’ screws to mark the position of the wing retaining holes and both ply parts to bring on top & bottom of the wing.

I also sanded the glass cloth down of both wing sides to help with the adhesion of the Sauce later on.

I thought it was the right moment to weight the glassed wing.

1537_glassed_wing_weight_900.jpg

Including the ailerons, the total weight so far is just under 444gr.

Unfortunately, there aren’t lots of figures available to compare with, except Phil’s but he has some drop tanks mechanics built in. I just hope I’m still in the acceptable figures.

On a side note, this was the 300th picture of the Sabre Dog thread… surprise

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Weight Control

Thanks a lot for the info, Martin. yes

I'm afraid I will never be able to keep my wing down to 550gr as I still have to build the belly pan, a few layers of Sauce, two servos + rods and the final paint job...

But if I can stay somewhere between your two weights, I'll be a happy bunny. smiley

It's indeed amazing that you managed to gain 100gr just with your balsa selection.

Cheers & stay alert, young man

Chris

Thanks again for posting, Martin.

All the balsa I used for the Dog was a 'perfect copy' of your 'Packing List' (a SLEC order).

The 48" sheets, the grade of wood, the ailerons stock... all of it.

I use glue (Deluxe Aliphatic) as sparingly as you do with the wood. wink Cfr the small short haired stiff brush and water glass present on a lot of my built pics.

So, we'll just have to see what the final results become...

Cheers & stay safe

Chris

Hi again,

Last weekend has been dedicated to Iris as her terrace was in need of some attention and wood protection for the coming winter months.

Among other things, I also looked for some modelling aids while in the DIY supermarket.

I earlier realized that I made a serious ‘hick-up’ when fully planking up my bottom fuselage. Access to the wing dowel holes seems seriously compromised now. Either a drastic surgery or finding another solution with ‘dowel center pins’. At least, if that word exists… wink

I had some 8mm handy but in this case, I was looking for the 6mm ones.

Visiting Gamma, Wickes and Brico, finally I could find some 6mm ones from Stanley. Rather expensive at €3,75 for 4 of them, but at least I was supporting the British economy… until, at home, the packaging showed "made in … China". surprise Nice try, at least…

1540_dowel_pins_900.jpg

1545_dowel_pins_installed_900.jpg

Perfect fit and it looks very promising so far.

Thanks again for your help, Martin. I guess I'll have a better sleep from now on.

Hakuna matata & stay safe

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Support UK Control

Hi to all still out there,

I guess I’m getting into those small bits that take an eternity to measure, cut and assemble without very much to show here.

Of course, my previous glassing part of sub-assemblies is very repetitive and far from ‘spectacular’…

But - exception made for our Chief who is in his finalizing stage and the (lucky) builders who finalized their model already - where are the entertaining blogs of all the others?

With 70+ short kits dispatched for a more than ‘certain while’ now, I’m just feeling a bit disappointed, in regard to the idea of a ‘mass build’.

Now, this could be the C-19 just creeping in on my side of things…

Hakuna matata & stay cool all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Build Blog Control

Hi Chris, i'm having thesame thoughts about the blog. Lots of visitors but not much reactions.

And its 'just that what we need as a boost to go on.

I always think of the moment a model is completed to encourage myself .The moment you chuck it of a cliff,or hit the throttle to take off...Happy building maat !

For my part Chris I am still feeling sore from finding that my front end had warped. It was not by much but - oh how annoying. So I have rebuilt it and am very happy with the new look. It set me back, but it's all part of the learning curve I guess. In the meantime I have been avidly reading your exploits and the contributions of everyone else, and like you, I'm waiting to see more completed planes take to the air. My model is now being sanded for glassing and I'll be very happy to see her fully covered ready for the hard part to begin. However - If ever I am feeling down with the project I look at my sidewinder and think, 'Oh man - that is going to look so, so mean ' Captain Grey concurs.

Sidewinder.jpg

Thanks for commenting, gents.

As you wrote, Dirk. Visitors should try to understand that their comment, now and then, can give that boost we need when we feel getting into a 'dip'...

Fine that you could repair your warped nose, David. Do you mean that building some Sidewinders is a therapeutic solution against some loss of mojo??? ...

Iris is quite busy at the moment but she's fine, John. Regarding Gaston, he's still in Costa Rica. The 'little fella' is considering a career switch with the plan to start a plantation of 'Ochroma pyramidale' aka balsa tree... Not really a daft idea though...

Cheers & stay cool all

Chris

Good question Chris .. 'Are sidewinders a therapeutic solution for loss of MOJO?'

fj-3 with sidewinder close up.jpg

......... OH YES !

For the model I used a blob of epoxy resin to provide the 'lens' the first results are encouraging ! And while my model may never look as good as the plane in this pic its darned good fun putting it together and those Sidewinders are REALLY good for my MOJO

Regards to both Iris and yourself and of course to Gaston.

Hello again,

Glad to be able to confirm that the ‘dowel center pins’ were - nearly - worth the investment. wink

Piece of cake to get a correct ‘inprint’ with the wing sitting perfectly on both F14 ply guides, a bit of drilling and later on installing/gluing both dowels.

1558_dowels installed_900.jpg

With my attention drawn to that area, I started wondering about a way to keep the cells pack at the front of the battery box. They're not supposed to travel around, are they?

After a bit of online checking, the different build blogs didn’t propose a ready-to-go solution. Everybody seems to keep it as a ‘Classified’ secret… frown

Not having Sidewinders to build as a ‘mojo therapy’, I decided to have a small door keeping a foam block pressed against the battery cells at the front.

1561_batterybox_lid_900.jpg

1567_batterybox_lid.jpg

Two carbon mini rods and a small latch is all it needed. The junk lite ply - from a French Pyrenean Goat cheese tray - has been covered with some off-cuts of glass cloth, hence the slightly darker colour.

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR French Cheese Control

Thanks both for visiting and commenting, gents.

I wanted to make it strong enough to keep the cells in place, but then not overly heavy although it is way up front of the CG.

The Dog, with its 'fat' general dimensions, will be heavy enough compared to a standard Sabre. So if anybody has a 'lighter' solution, they're mostly welcome. yes

With the dowels completely cured, I had a first move on getting the wing in place within the fuselage.

Pics to follow when that sequence is properly dry.

@ Ade > don't forget your predictions for the Russian GP... wink

Cheers & stay cool

Chris