Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Advert

Thanks for visiting, gents.

No probs, Dwain. The fuse jig will remain as 'agricultural' as can be... meaning that at least the Dog is still supposed to 'outshine' it a bit... I hope... indecision

No worries, Martian. I was just teasing you a bit... angel

No progress today as we had our X-mas shopping trying to avoid tomorrow's crowd.

Cheers & stay careful over there, please

Chris

Hello everybody,

Iris and Gaston are joining me to wish all the visitors of the Dog’s thread a Merry Xmas.

x-mas 2018_1000.jpg

Even in these hard times, we do hope that the contents of Santa’s sleigh can bring a long lasting wide smile to all of you. smiley

Hakuna matata & stay careful all, please

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Santa’s Sleigh Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 24/12/2020 14:24:16

Hello again,

... and thanks for your kind wishes, gents.

I’ve been heavily distracted by the Season’s stuff, but mostly by my own… laziness. angel

I guess it was partly involving Iris’s festive recipes and devotion, but the real sinner is just… me. blush

Anyhow, the wooden parts for the fuse jig are fully completed now.

1758_carpenter_board_900.jpg

All bolts, nuts and other hardware bits are ready to go as well, just needing assembly to be - hopefully - operational.

Hakuna matata & stay alert all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Bits Control

I guess you're right, Dwain. yes

But to be honest my fuse jig isn't as inspiring as your ship board.

I love making a ply template to, for example, laminate some thin sticks of balsa to form the outline of a fin/rudder.

I really enjoyed making my own version of the Vicomte 1916 vertical tailplane that way.

081_vic_finhinges02_900.jpg

But this fuselage jig is a bit 'boring'...

Large planes, small indoor ones, helis and now even boats... you really are a very active modeller, young man.

Cheers & stay cool

Chris

... haha... important indeed to keep those 'active' indeed, Dwain... cool

My first thought went to Jean-Claude Van Damme, but he's not 'fictional' (unfortunately) and of course not at all related to the 'grey cells' you mentioned...

My best vote would then go to Hercule Poirot with his sense of 'dry humour'??? ... wink

Cheers, young man

Chris

Hi again,

Probably just a mini-milestone, but quite relieved I got there.

That long awaited fuse jig is NOW a fact, gents.

Assembly was close to straight forward thanks to my own accuracy regarding measuring nearly), sawing and drilling... wink

Even those plastic square bits were recycled from the old caravan bench. yes

In fact, I only needed to drill a hole in F10 as for the front I could use the blind nut originally foreseen to affix the potential balance lead behind the radome nose.

1762_fuse_jig01_900.jpg

1768_fuse_jig02_900.jpg

1772_fuse_jig03_900.jpg

1777_fuse_jig04_900.jpg

The threaded rods seems a bit 'long' as I took the original measures 'including' that radome nose... angel

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fuse Jig Control

Hello out there,

Most of the Festivities are done by now, the reindeers are back home and Rudolf’s hangover is… over… wink

I had two quite long sessions this weekend at La Grotte and the fine sanding of the fuse seems finally to be done. Just a few corrections to handle at the shark mouth and at the turbine exit.

Nearly there for the glassing phase… cool

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Hangover Control

Is there still somebody out there? …

No, I didn’t have a lazy week, but just a very slow progress in La Grotte.

I quite like glassing some bits but the fact is that it takes some time to cure before one can proceed with the next item or side.

I decided not to risk glassing the fuse in just two parts but went for having the fin fairings done separately both sides first.

1783_glassing_fairings_900.jpg

No worries about those black spots - the warrior has no gangrene - but my homemade filler seems to react strangely with the resin pigment…

Whoops… I suppose I went really heavy handed when I mixed the black pigment to my next batch of resin… blush

I decided not to bin it in these ‘hard’ times and went on using it on the ‘poor’ fuse. At least it gives a great contrast compared to the balsa wood. angel

1787_glassing_fuse_900.jpg

The Dog looks a bit like a Black Widow now… or should I say Black Whale… or just stick to the more official name of Stealth Dog… cool

Hakuna matata & keep careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pigment Control

Your glassing looks really good Chris, I think it is only Dirk who mastered the fuselage, fin and tailplane lands all in one piece! Anyway 2 pieces per side is still pretty good going and minimising the seams in need of feathering all helps!

Must try adding some pigment to the resin next time too - thats a good tip to aid the visual on correct impregnation.

Keep up the good work - we are all still watching of course!! thumbs up

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/01/2021 23:39:04