Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Advert

Same here ... sauce, sand, high-build, wet dry, u/coat, wet dry, u/coat, wet dry, talc spot fill. Wet dry sheesh.

And mine isn't scale just an old pattern design. Got four colours to mask and spray yet and now the winds come round from the north it's gone all cold not good for out door spraying!

Had to take some days off monotonous - and ridiculous effort compared to film.... but it is this prep that makes the difference at the end.

No seems in film or wrinkles in the sun.

Each bit done is one bit nearer and a journey of 10,000 miles starts with the first step.

Keep the faith!

• Like 2

Thank you both for the comments, gents.  ?

A lot of Sauce sanding, a few detail pics and just little words...

1852_sanded_scoop_900.jpg.0c0fef829496a34d14e523a77e080a90.jpg

1855_sanded_naca_900.jpg.77353ff1a69555bba6686559616ddbe2.jpg

1857_sabded_finfairings_900.jpg.3c8efbafc2bd90fe0b0fff83eb7b217b.jpg

How just some sunny days - and a lot of sandpaper, unfortunately... ? - can give a smile back to a nearly mojo-less apprentice...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Sun Control

• Like 1

Thanks for your motivating comment, DD.

Very strange weather here in BE. Two days ago, we had 18°C, today we had quite strong 'blizzard' snow all afternoon...

Anyway no outdoors activities planned, but the Dog's fuselage received its second coat of Sauce.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Blizzard Control

• Like 2

... and the 'blizzard' situation went on yesterday - and even heavier - today. What a climate we have...

Started the... sanding back of the fuselage Sauce indoors... ppfff.  Well, not that enjoyable...  ?

Cheers & 'courage' to myself

Chris

... and that 'blizzard' situation finally went away luckily...

Even got a nearly 'spring' sunny afternoon with no wind here in BE.

Great for bringing the jig & fuse outdoors, for having a shake at the rattle cans and a thin double coat of primer applied...

1862_fuse_primer01_900.jpg.9961de863c7565f3e8ba2d553ce60d84.jpg

1866_fuse_primer02_900.jpg.21a8d81d14a8b84b786d02001673ac54.jpg

... projecting a well deserved double (as well) 'pousse-café' tonight after dinner...  

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Primer Control

• Like 5

Thank you all for the motivating comments, gents...  ?

The fuse jig wasn't my idea at all, as I 'copycatted' it - shamelessly - from Chief Phil.

If I remember correctly, the original idea came from Dirk T, probably following his experience with his mighty Fouga...

Cheers all

Chris

• Like 1

... apologies, Eric...  ?

I only had one of those Woodstock-type "No Blizzard... No Blizzard" shout outs, but unfortunately without the ability to fill in the destination GPS-data...  

Still raining here though with a possible dry forecast for the second half of the week.

No outdoors wing sanding possible so far...

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all,

As predicted, a bit of a wet day had me safely go on with some indoors activities.  ?

A masking session followed by a spray of Carbon black for the Dog's cockpit.

1870_cockpit_spray_900.jpg.3c5819f5b570c4cefd73691fa9a7aefb.jpg

Next was adding the last details to the cockpit 'bathtub'.

The throttle handle at the front of the pic with the slats/flaps actuator in the background.

1872_cockpit_details_900.jpg.c84e5ec1e32a3ca6892941933c75cf85.jpg

I also added the dashboard side panels to the fuse - not visible here - but in fact I doubt they will be much visible at all when the canopy & its frame are getting glued on top of it all...  ?

Sorry for all the visible dust and imperfections in close up...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Cockpit Control

Thanks for you comments, DD & Ron.  ?

I'll try to vacuum the dust away before gluing the canopy in.

Those 'imperfections' might be another 'thing', I'm afraid...

As the weather is still against me, I kept myself busy with a little gadget for the cockpit. A minor surgery to the floor, a few lengths of wire, a bit of soldering and I got myself a battery 'survey' installed.

1874_voltmeter_900.jpg.114878ebd05a3aeb080981948da358c6.jpg

It gives a nice blue glow around the cockpit but not sure if that 'glow' will still be visible when the canopy/frame is installed?

I used a 5 cells Nimh pack for testing the voltmeter but - after recharging -  it shows 6.22V instead of the 6V I expected.

Is this 'normal' as it will slowly decrease, but will the 6V rated servos be OK with it??? Comments welcome, please...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Voltage Control

• Like 1

Do not worry about the imperfections Chris, I have a friend of almost 50years who has to have everything perfect. He spends months on a job on the house that could have been done in a week. He has started on 5 R/C models and 2 large steam locomotives in the time I have known him and is yet to finish one, he was saving some for retirement projects and now I doubt if he will ever finish anything as he is now over 80 and has yet to learn to fly. So cast a blind eye to them when its finished none but you will notice.

The blizzards have gone and I have had  3 good days flying.

Cheers Eric.

Thanks for the info about my Nimh 'query', gents.  ?

I can only hope that the 6V rated Turnigy servos will be happy as well? ...

@Eric Robson Glad you could have some nice flying days but please, convince your friend that "large steam locomotives" aren't the best floaters around...  ?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, McG 6969 said:

Thanks for the info about my Nimh 'query', gents.  ?

I can only hope that the 6V rated Turnigy servos will be happy as well? ...

@Eric Robson Glad you could have some nice flying days but please, convince your friend that "large steam locomotives" aren't the best floaters around...  ?

Cheers

Chris

Chris, some of the heavy model aeroplane kits I built in the past were not the best floaters either,

• Like 1

Hi to all,

Nope, I didn't emigrate to Greece (yet).

Albeit I had a nice 'off duty' last WE due to the Imola F1 GP.

A mixed wet/dry race with a lot of captivating racing moments. 

In fact I don't even understand why there not more forumites getting part of our Fantasy GP contest. It's free and above all very fun to participate.  ?

Back to business with the Dog...

The cockpit tub was glued into the fuse (with the dust removed), the acetate canopy as well, followed by the glass fibre frame.

As I wasn't looking forward to this part of the build, I waited each part to be dry before adding the next one... All of it with Deluxe Superphatic.

Very few welcomed outdoors dry moments allowed me to finally sand the primed fuse with a 600 grit and add the coat of yellow both sides of the fin.

If I can avoid to forget the camera when driving to La Grotte, I promise to add some pics next time...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Camera Control

• Like 2