Svenson Mini Boy

Posted by kc on 16/11/2019 17:33:14:

A Google search reveals a few adverts on e-bay etc and a reference to it being a smaller version of the FlyBoy. There is a Fly Boy plan on Outerzone. I have often wondered why planes are named with Boy at the end - HiBoy, Lowboy etc - must be some connection I suppose.

Yes I saw on the box it is a small version of the Flyboy

The tail is all ¼" sheet and supplied pretty hard that will be replaced with built up items. Also alot of weight in the wings with bell cranks pulleys etc. which will be replaced with a couple of servos and a few other nips and tucks will shed some excess, from what I've seen it's probably a mid 70s model.

Dave

Posted by Martin_K on 16/11/2019 17:30:42:

Looks like the kit was from French speaking Belgium.

Apologies, Martin, but not 'French speaking Belgium' at all.

Most of the Svenson kits were designed by Leon Jansens and were produced near Bruges and later in Knokke at the seaside.

Which makes them typical Flemish origins, I guess... wink

By the way, the majority of Svenson's plans include a build manual/guide in Flemish, French & English.

Good luck with your build, David. yes

Cheers

Chris

David, no response to your question, electric conversion.

Its might be because the people who can help you haven't picked up on the thread, mistaking it for a reminiscence of an old kit. Perhaps is you did a new thread Electric Conversion of ................

include the data I supplied, it's the numbers they will need. I'm a petrol head and behind my skill set.

When I plan making an electric conversion, I always use the same approach: I take the propeller and rpm´s for the suggested glow engine and just search for a brushless motor capable of moving a similar size electric propeller at near as possible to the glow engine regime using a 2S or 3S battery for small models, 3S or 4S for medium ones and 4S or 6S for bigger´s (I have not attempted over 6S yet!).

If possible I always prefer the smaller battery for size/weight reasons and after finding the suitable brushless motor, I take notice of the needed current for buying an adequate ESC with at least a +20% plus current capability.

With this procedure you will always be success and even have a current capability margin for trying different propellers from that initially considered.

By the way, the Svenson brand was considered top notch here in Spain although prices made these models near unreachable ad only available to just more rich R/C modellers. Some time after production ceased in Belgium, a Spanish firm bought the brands and designs and still produced a selection of them till 2005 although, as far as I know, they were only offered in the Spanish market.

Best Regards.

Mind, if I put my electric head on, went to the HobbyKing site, and looked up their ARTF Tundra, and ordered the recommended powertrain, I reckon it would work. Just check it's good to take the 12 inch prop this powertrain uses.

2200,minimum 30C, 3s lipo, HT 60 plug. If the stuff is bought of HobbyKing you will need a pack of HT60 plug and sockets. You will need a Velcro strap to hold the battery down.

And a spinner, 12 by 6 props. 

The build is modified, you need to build a hatch as far forward as you can get it, for the battery. Taking the wing off every flight is annoying. Battery and speed controllers all need cooling. 

Edited By Don Fry on 19/11/2019 15:26:21