Unusual Aircraft

Martyn K

Advert

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 08:48:25:

I can agree more Ken, so very brave, no whimpy parachute recovery systems for them wink 2.

I was going to add some photos of the structure of the UFO but they won't upload to my album for some reason despite them being in PDF format.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 08:55:10

Hi Piers

Need to be in jpg format...

Martyn

Doh! Thanks Martin yes. I downloaded some images of the UFO's structure a while ago from a magazine article online but I can't find it anymore. Here are the images anyway, it looks pretty straight forward and reminds me of the Nutball, without the turned up wingtips. 

The rotax two stroke engine produces 52hp apparently and is very light.

Peter, let me know when you have your prototype model flying,- in a couple of weeks time!

useless flying object.jpguseless flying object 2.jpguseless flying object 3.jpg

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 11:15:21

It's not David Rowe's first, as he has built ten aircraft to date and this is his fifth circular winged aircraft. He also built a model, found it flew fine, so decided to build a full sized one!

The wing looks very simple with its flat underside, no washout and sharp leading edge.

The magazine article was in Australian Sport Pilot Jan 2019, incidentally.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 15:21:46

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 11:11:09:

Doh! Thanks Martin yes. I downloaded some images of the UFO's structure a while ago from a magazine article online but I can't find it anymore. Here are the images anyway, it looks pretty straight forward and reminds me of the Nutball, without the turned up wingtips.

The rotax two stroke engine produces 52hp apparently and is very light.

Peter, let me know when you have your prototype model flying,- in a couple of weeks time!

useless flying object.jpguseless flying object 2.jpguseless flying object 3.jpg

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 11:15:21

Those are most useful pictures.

I just have to finish my Stampe SR-7 and will be looking at this one. I need an oddball model next.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 15:11:32:

It's not David Rowe's first, as he has built ten aircraft to date and this is his fifth circular winged aircraft. He also built a model, found it flew fine, so decided to build a full sized one!

The wing looks very simple with its flat underside, no washout and sharp leading edge.

The magazine article was in Australian Sport Pilot Jan 2019, incidentally.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 15:21:46

That wing has washout. Look at the photo.

Still it just need a bigger board, and probably a bigger bandsaw. Might need a 200 ml bottle of Gorilla glue.

The Wiki drawing is of Dave Rowe's previous UFO build that he built eleven years ago (with the tricycle gear). I agree Peter, the wing section is still wrong and looks different to his latest design.

I beg to differ Don, I have looked at many images online and the underside of his latest iteration looks completely flat to me - no (physical) washout although there is aerodynamic washout apparently? (said by those that claim to know about these things!)

This is his previous build...

early useless flying object.jpg

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/11/2019 19:10:26